Coviper

Tonight I hit the 1000 hour mark in my build.....I think I'm about half way there! I've got the interior of the fuselage painted and I'm now working on brake and fuel lines. I've decided to go with Bonaco for my brake lines and not use the Van's supplied plastic stuff. As soon as we get some warmer weather, I will open the shop doors and test fit the wings!!

681h.jpg

682l.jpg

683u.jpg

696r.jpg

IMO More Adel Clamps would be Good

Myself I would tie that hard line down more with more adel clamps. You don't want those long runs vibrating. Nice job on all those bends and the fitment.

You paint is beautiful too.

Hans

1000 Hours.

Congrats!

Keep up the good work. You "ain't gonna believe" what it feels like to put air between the pavement and the wheels.

You're building a "magic carpet". You can beat the airlines door to door generally for a trip of up to a 1000 miles. You won't do it every trip, but you'll still be happy!

Transcontinental trips are great fun even if you don't have an instrument ticket. Just be prepared to enjoy the people and geography of the place where you're weathered in.

My wife and I have been weathered in on occasion. One particularly rewarding time, we were weathered in at Soccoro New Mexico for a couple of days. There is a lot of western history in that area. We visited the Very Large Array, (VLA) where they use Radio Astronomy to search the sky for life in other areas of the Universe.

I guess what I'm trying to say is; do the Larry the Cable Guy thing and "Gitter Done".

Thank You....

Yes, I know I need a couple of more clamps...for some reason, I ran out and will get some more.
I used the Rust-oleum Hammered Gray....I thought the Hammmered Bronze was a little too dark and the silver a little to light. I've also painted all of the panels and it just looks great. About 6 cans did it all. Thanks for all of your kind words....Build on!

Wait a minute - you painted that with rattle can Rustoleum? Not a mix you shot with a sprayer?

Rattle Cans....Absolutely!

Greg, I've used rattle cans for the interior....I've done most of my priming with AZKO Epoxy (mixed and applied with a sprayer). For smaller batches of parts I used NAPA 7220 Self-etching Primer (also in a rattle can). The Rust-oleum hammered product make it pretty hard to screw up the paint job. I also wanted to used a rattle can product, so I can always have a can on hand for easy touch ups. The interior will get quite a beating as I complete the plumbing, wiring, etc., so I wanted that option. There are a number of threads on rattle cans for priming and painting (interior) and also on the rust-oleum hammered products in these forums (just do a search). I will have the exterior painted professionally at some point.

I also use the AKZO in a sprayer for large parts and the 7220 for smaller work. I would never have guessed a final paint job from a rattle can could come out looking that good - you've given me hope! I'll have to test a few pieces now...

Joseph,

She looks good.

One suggestion, on the triangular piece, add a plate nut on the top and put the screw for the adel clamp in from the bottom.

The reason is, you are going to have to disconnect the vent lines but leave them in place. Tape off both ends of the lines and the fittings to keep junk out.

You will do a lot of work in that area and the lines have to be moved out of the way to rivet on the top foreskin. The down side is, you can't put the lines in place with the rudder bar and all the rest of the stuff in there, so, as I said, it has to remain in place, just not connected.

The aforementioned plate nut will make installing the adel clamps much easier. This is another place where I used 8-32 cap screws from McMaster-Carr as they are very easy to put in while working on your back.

Last edited:
Looks good!

Nice work, we are about in the same spot in terms of hours and amount of stuff completed, except mines an -8.
Keep up the good work!

By the way, I'm using 7220 for my interior, so far so good. If I don't like it later I'll paint over it. But like you, I want to be able to touch up on the fly!

Looking very sweet Joe! I am roughly at the same point as well. Been thinking of what color and what product to use to paint my interior. One thing I have been wondering is how do you go about cleaning up the metal before apply the paint?

I have rattle can self etching primer over most of my parts and would imagine that acetone or any other type of chemical will strip the primer right off...

NAPA 7220 comes off in about half a heartbeat with MEK, I haven't tried Acetone yet.

Interior paint.....

Thanks Bill, I will use your suggestion....Makes sense.
Larry, After I taped off all parts not to be painted, I vaccumed out the fuse and air sprayed it well. I then used a soap & water solution in a spray bottle and wiped down the entire areas to be painted. I also used acetone on all of the AZKO primer and very lightly on the Napa self-etching.... Acetone does remove the Napa very easily, but if you just lightly wipe it right before you spray, it will soften and allow the Rust-oleum to adhere better. I also used 2 coats of the Hammered Gray.

Nice Job

Joe,

I'm about at 750 hours of build on my 9. I also want to do a rattle can approach to the interior and really appricate the info about softening the primer.

I hope your enjoying your build as much as I'm enjoying mine.:D