N131RV

Well Known Member
My little bird has just crossed the 100 hour mark. So far so good. Most of these hours are "commuting" as I live south of San Antonio and work in Houston. Typically it's just under an hour each way.

Changed the oil and did a compression check, plus a general inspection of the engine area. Compressions are 76, 76, 74 and 77/80. My rings are finally fully seated. Oil consumption has dropped to about 1/4 QPH. It was about about 1/2 QPH.

No major squawks so far. One of my EGT probes has bit the dust and I have a curious problem with the Vans tachometer. It randomly drops to zero, then comes back. I have checked the sender and the wiring, but I can't find anything.

I guess I got the only "good" Navaid, since it has worked perfectly since I installed it. :)

Oil temps are still a little high. I replaced the stock vans oil cooler with a Stewart Warner, added RTV around the cooler and switched to 15/50 Aeroshell. Climbout gets up to about 220 and cruise varies between 205 and 215 at 2500 RPM at 6500. Dropping to 2400 RPM will drop the temp about 5 degrees. Fortunately, the temp now tops at 220 during the climb and goes no higher. I was experiencing up to 235 degrees (close to redline) during long climbs, but now it goes no higher than 220.

Higher altitudes get a bit cooler but not much. To get 200 degrees I have to go to 10,500 or higher.

Cylinder head temps on the IO360A1B6 are running good, typically 325 to 368 in climbout and a bit cooler in cruise. Highest I have ever seen, during a long max-performance climb was about 389 on the hottest cylinder.

All in all, it's been pretty trouble free. Guess it's now time to get busy and install the gear leg fairings and wheel pants. :(

Congrats Joe!

Hey, if you want to see your oil temp ride along around 185F, you could always run LOP. (and save a bunch of fuel in the process)

My oil temps are directly in line with yours, fwiw, but when cruising LOP the oil temp bobs along anywhere between 180-195F, depending on OAT.

Have you balanced your injectors (attempting to get zero gami spread)? These IO-360-A1B6s just love running LOP when balanced...

Get rid of the cheap Van's baffling seal and go with 1/8" silicone seal material and you will see a big temp drop. Don