Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I have to taxi over to the FBO to get my transponder checked. It's a five to ten minute slow taxi. My engine is used so it is already broken in. Is there any problem doing a slow 10 minute taxi without the cowl on an already broken in engine?

Michael

if everything is secure in the engine compartment and the temps stay in the green ok. worst case is you hace to shut it down on the way to cool

I think you will find that at taxi power it is about impossible to heat up a Lycoming. Not sure how even the cylinders will cool but for short periods of time you should have zero problem.

Engine already broken in - should be no problem at all. New engine - I wouldn't do it (I'd find a way to tow the aircraft).

Dan

Not saying there would be a problem with the taxi, but, the xpnder guy won't come across the field to you? The equipment would (almost) fit in the saddle bags of a motorcycle. One of my neighbors does xpnder certs, & travels to the customer all over the area, sometimes in his Whitman Tailwind.

Charlie

Legally can't...

I asked them if they could come to my hangar, which they have done for a couple of other items.

They said they are not certified to do this particular check outside their facility. Something about being a field service operation.

Michael-