lucien

Hi all,

Just FYI, some Rotax dealers are starting to be informed of a 10% increase in the price of Rotax engines coming sometime in 2010. I havn't gotten any more details than that.

So better smoke 'em while you got 'em, i.e. don't put off purchases of engines for too much longer....

LS

Should I buy the engine now?

I'm just finishing my empennage, getting ready to purchase the wing kit. With this impending engine price increase, would there be an advantage for me to put my down payment on the engine to freeze the price now?

I know they recommend the power plant purchase as the last kit ... but is there a price savings strategy on purchasing the engine now at the risk that it will sit for some time?

If I were to purchase the engine now, how long could it sit idle while I fund/finish the remainder of the kit (which could be years)? Will it hold its value?

I'm just finishing my empennage, getting ready to purchase the wing kit. With this impending engine price increase, would there be an advantage for me to put my down payment on the engine to freeze the price now?

I know they recommend the power plant purchase as the last kit ... but is there a price savings strategy on purchasing the engine now at the risk that it will sit for some time?

If I were to purchase the engine now, how long could it sit idle while I fund/finish the remainder of the kit (which could be years)? Will it hold its value?

I heard about this through a Rotax dealer, but some other dealers I know still haven't heard anything on this yet. I also don't know yet if this is just an anticipated increase due to the declining USD or if it's going to be a deliberate jack-up of the price by Rotax. It'd be safe to expect both ;)

I think as soon as you can buy the engine without having to put it into long-term storage, do it - the prices are always going up.

OTOH, 10% of 20 grand is $2000, a fairly small percentage of the overall cost of the kit (approx. 60 grand for everything), so I also wouldn't panic. IIRC, the Rotax docs say they don't want the motor to sit for longer than 2 years (basically you have to do a complete teardown/inspection after 2 or more years of storage) so you probably don't want to store it for too long.

So I just meant don't put it off longer than you have to ;)

LS

Last edited:
What about warrenty?

In the interest of cash flow and price increases, I would like to purchase my engine this year, but I'm not quite ready for installation. A question to those in the know; if I purchase it now, and it sits for 3 or 5 or 6 months, (I hope its not that long) how does the warrenty work? Is the warrenty started on the date of purchase or is there another way that Rotax "initiates" the warrenty?

Thx
MikeB