ColoRv

Well Known Member
Hello all. Other than Lycon, are there other suppliers I should be looking to for 10:1 pistons in my IO-360 angle valve? Lycon is back ordered.

pistons

HIO 360 D1A has 10-1 pistons as manufactured by Lycoming. Check with ECI and Superior. These are probably cast pistons, the forged aftermarket pistons are better.

10-1 pistons

AERO in stock has the combustion technology 10-1 pistion in stock. They are also a VAF supporter. Russ

AERO in stock has the combustion technology 10-1 pistion in stock. They are also a VAF supporter. Russ

I don't see it on their website. I see a 9.5:1 for a parallel valve but not finding the 10:1 for angle. Their descriptions leave a lot to be desired though so I may be missing it.

As for the power increase, I'm not sure but in Denver's DA we take all we can get.

pistons

Just search the Aero site for the part numbers. 10/1 for angle valve engines are P/N ASC11487 and for parallel valve P/N ASC1021FL, and ASC1021F. Russ

pistons

Try Jurnigan Engines in Fl. 813-752-9214. They are a distributor for CT pistons.

Jesse

HIO 360 D1A has 10-1 pistons as manufactured by Lycoming. Check with ECI and Superior. These are probably cast pistons, the forged aftermarket pistons are better.

Per Parts Catalog PC-406-2B, the pistons for the HIO-360-D1A are indeed 10 to 1 CR Part number is LW-11487

I'm curious as to why you feel that forged pistons are better? Better for racing and high HP engines yes. But why do you think they are better for a normal engine? They weigh more [more stress on connecting rods] and they expand more than cast or hyper-eutectic pistons do. He's not building a Reno racer.

Bill, those engines with 10 to 1 CR have 1000 hour TBO, rather than 2,000 hours for the 8.7 to 1 CR engines. Since you won't be making 210+ HP, your longevity should be better.
I learned the hard way about Denver's thin air. My first visit [1986], my brother took me to the Boulder Health Club. We played handball. After 20 minutes, the room started to spin. That would not have been a "bad" thing, IF I had been drinking! [which I had not]. I investigated high altitude and alcohol later that trip, at the Stanley Hotel. :D

Charlie

forged pistons

Virtually all the hot rod engine builders are using forged pistons. As far as I can determine, for the 0 320, all that is available in 10-1 is forged. The current Kitplanes has an article on Lycon. They are machineing the forged pistons to where they are lighter than the cast.

Spoke to Dennis at Lycon again today. He informed me that the pistons I need (P10 - 10:1) have been on back order for 5 months. He is trying to get them but....well, he has been trying for 5 months.

I'm going to give it a bit more time while other parts show up, Don at airflow gets done working his voodoo on the bendix goodies, case gets painted or alodined etc but when that time passes if Lycon still doesn't have them, I'll change horses.

Charlie as always makes a good point about shortened TBO and if I still lived where I could stop by for one of his patented daiquiris, I would rethink the CR....but alas, up here where the air is thin....10:1 is pretty common. Though, I will keep the new 8.7:1's it came with on a shelf....just in case.

The two options I am considering are Combustion Technologies at $220ea and Aircraft Specialties has Superior's version at $170ea. Any words of wisdom from those with more knowledge of these things than I have?

9 to 1

I recommend that you forgo the 10 to 1 pistons and install no more than 9 to 1. If you have some port and polish done on the cylinders, you will have a significant increase in horsepower without the stain of the 10 to 1 on the engine and starter. You will also have a wider margin for error when increasing pitch and leaning when it comes to detonation.

Last edited:
I hear you Danny, and if I lived at sea level I would likely lean that way...but I don't. I've spoken to Lycon, Barrett and several locals who run 10:1...opinions vary of course. It's certainly not a cut and dried decision and we each make decisions like this based upon our personalities and what we want from our aircraft. For me and mine, 10:1 seems a good fit. If I end up regretting it....well, you did tell me so.

As for the question I asked to begin this thread...it was answered today when Dennis from Lycon called to tell me the pistons have arrived. He is getting a set balanced for me and will have them on the way shortly. :)