MacPara

Well Known Member
Step 1 on page 10-03 says to tap the 5/16" hole in the tail skid bracket F-1211G with 3/8-16 for 1" deep. I wonder if this is correct. Looking up the eyebolts used for tie down rings at Avery Tools and also in Van's own catalog the threading there is said to be 1.25". Why isn't the receiving hole then rather on the deeper side? My current threading is just a bit over 1" and I wonder if this will be enough to take the eyebolt. Any experience out there if this is ok?

Thanks,
Torsten.

deeper

I had to tap mine deeper and then grind down a washer just a hair at a time to get the base of the tiedowm ring tight against the washer and have the ring aligned fore and aft at the same time.
Wayne 120241

I had to tap mine deeper and then grind down a washer just a hair at a time to get the base of the tiedowm ring tight against the washer and have the ring aligned fore and aft at the same time.

That's what I was afraid of, Wayne. I didn't want to discover that during final assembly and then would have to lie under the airplane and mess up the threading by using a hand drill to deepen the hole, etc. I went back to the shop last night and fixed it so that a 1.25" long screw I had was completely seated in the hole.
I also wrote Ken about this and asked him if this was a mistake in the manual...
Glad you could fix it!

Or cut the eyebolt

I noted this as well after mine was threaded. I think the same applies to the wings as I recall. I left them as-is and will cut the eyebolts to fit instead. One inch engagement is certainly more than ample.

Jeff