macrafic

Well Known Member
In cases where I need to feed multiple components from a single source (avionics master switch, for instance), I will either use a terminal block or a fuse block, depending on the number of components, and the amount of current drawn in total and individually by the components.

However, when I only want to combine 2 or 3 wires into one, and the components are very low power (think LED lights), it seems such a waste to find a place for another terminal/fuse block and deal with that. There must be a way to combine the wires. I looked through AC 43.13, but could not find anything (I have to believe it is in there and I missed it. Everything else has been there in the past!!! Also looked on Aeroelectric, but could not find the answer there either.

Acknowledging that my "search" machine (me) must be having an off day, can one of you electronic gurus provide me some direction here?

There are unlimited options! Knife Splice, Butt Splice, Solder Splice, simple solder and heatshrink, etc.. But, NOT a wire nut you see in a house outlet (yes - I've actually seen them in aircraft, but they shouldn't be there)!

Don't worry too much about it with the low power stuff like LED's and such....most anything you do will work, just depends on what/how you need to make it for future maintenance, access and/or modification.

Cheers,
Stein

Stien is the guru, and I have done all of these he suggests.
You can put two wires under one crimp connector. Two #18 tefzel will fit into a #18-16 connector. I only use high quality seamless crimp connectors and would not try to fit two wires under a cheap split connector.
If you are going to join #22 or #24 wires, strip them back double what you would normally and fold the wire over, or solder and heat shrink.
Always pull test the wires in the connection. Not a little bitty tug, but a good pull.

Stien is the guru, and I have done all of these he suggests.
You can put two wires under one crimp connector. Two #18 tefzel will fit into a #18-16 connector. I only use high quality seamless crimp connectors and would not try to fit two wires under a cheap split connector.
If you are going to join #22 or #24 wires, strip them back double what you would normally and fold the wire over, or solder and heat shrink.
Always pull test the wires in the connection. Not a little bitty tug, but a good pull.

Yep, yep, and yep.

We use good quality connectors (PIDG brand from DigiKey; generally, translucent insulation is a good sign) and a ratcheting crimper (worlds better than non-ratcheting cheapies).

Tailwind

Carlos-
Your Wittman Tailwind is on barnstormers, I think its in MO. Nice airplane, I've seen it several times