panhandler1956

Well Known Member
Wow, I just started on my newly acquired -1 fuselage* and the instructions and plans are simply amazing. The preview plans that I had for the older fuselage kit showed 28 pages for section 8 (Fuselage), the plans that came with the new fuse-kit is 78 pages, complete with checkboxes for each step like the empennage! The blueprints are equally enhanced. I can see the "screw up factor" being significantly reduced along with the head scratching time.

What a great move by Vans! It is good to see they aren't afraid to keep improving the product.

*-1 is the match-drilled fuselage kit introduced at OSH in 06'.

Brent,
That's what I have been hoping for!
My fuse kit is to arrive aprox. 4 weeks:D.
I started a while back on my 8 and we never had check boxes for each step.
Sure am glad it took me a little longer to order the fuse kit.

How many folks did you need to get the box off the truck? (385 lbs.?)

Steve 81604
Waiting on fuse!

Steve,

There were a total of 4 of us waiting for ABF. When they call you for delivery, make sure to have them deliver it with a 'lift gate truck'. It took NONE of us. Upon arrival, and a little talking, the driver put the big crate on a pallet jack. He then rolled it on to the lift gate and lowered it to the street. He then rolled it into the shop and dropped it exactly where I wanted it put. For the effort, I gave him $20.
We then spent the next 2 hours getting rid of all the packing materials and admiring the quality of the parts.

Two of us

I'm not a big guy, and nor was the truck driver. The two of us lifted the box off the truck. I had made up a couple of wheeled dollies. We lowered the first end onto the first dolly, and then the second end onto the second dolly. I was able to then simply roll it into the garage. The two other smaller boxes we simply carried. Job done. Did the same with the wing kit previously too.

Greg & Jeff,
Thanks ... that's pretty much what I had in mind.
Good tip on the lift gate!
I have a couple of small moving dollies and a friend near by also.

Can't wait ... getting tired of biding my time fiberglassing.
Steve 81604

Brent,

Steve 81604
Waiting on fuse!

To be honest I did it by myself -sort of. I picked up the box at the shipping dock and they loaded it with a fork-lift. It fit just right in my little Ford Ranger (std bed). I then carefully slide it partially down off the tailgate (one end on the grd the other in the truck) and unloaded the big pieces until I felt I could lower it down without hurting it or myself (the later being of less importance :D!)

I had the same thought Brent,
Side it in the bed of my P.U. (truck to truck).
Pull my truck in the shop\hanger and unload from there.
We'll see how it pans out.
Thanks again!
Steve 81604