ccarter

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

I'm hanging wings today (even as we speak) on my 7. We've encountered a 1/16 inch mis-alignment in the rear spar stub and fuse on the left wing. We've checked the distance between main spar and rear spar and believe we can account for the 1/16 inch there but since these are QB wings my brain doesn't want to believe my eyes. Van's support is closed on Sat. Not sure I want to start twisting too much. The main spar slides in but the rear tab is 1/16 too aft. Tried the up down motion first, after that even small side to side. No bueno. It's a very small amount but enough to prevent the wing from mating all the way and pushing in the drift pins. The fuse is level using a smart tool. Doesn't appear to be twist in the fuse. Anyone encounter this before? Suggestions appreciated...

Chris...

http://www.n212s.com

You pushed your main spar in too far. Back it out. You need to get both in almost simultaneously.

Picture the rear spar moving on an ARC, not straight in and out, because that's kinda how it is. The front spar does allow the wing to flex fore/aft. That's how we adjust sweep, after all.

Anyway, when the wing is 100% in final position, the rear spar will be in perfect fore/aft position, but until then if the sweep is off even slightly, then the rear spar won't be aligned with the "fork" on the fuselage. You gotta start working that rear spar in long before the front spar goes all the way in.

You may have to "encourage" (a.k.a. pry) the fork apart slightly to get the rear spar in as you feed the wing into the fuselage. The more helpers the better. I've done it with 2, but 3 is mo betta.

BTW, I've seen this before when mating wings on -7[A]s with both slow & QB wings.

Last edited:
Yup

Same here!

Exactly how mine was...Remember to trim the rear spar on the wings before you fit them....I had to remove and replace my wings by myself cus there was no one else around on my day off after my buddys had left me the previous evening.

It was not easy, but I can boast that I did remove and replace my own wing sections

Incidently I'm 7ft tall and 400lbs of ripped muscle...NOT...:)

Frank 7a

One side of mine was slightly off like yours--I never measured how much though. I did need to use a screwdriver to slightly pry them apart while the rear spar was slid in. No big deal in my case. Good luck.

Shoe horn

I used a piece of .032 alclad slipped partly between the where the rear spar goes in to shoe horn the wing rear spar stub in. Worked out just fine.

Of course

Hi Jim,

I thought you were building a 7a?....But I see a "10" in your profile?

I was confused...It happens often.

Frank

Mating wings complete...

Thanks Dan, your first suggestion we tried but was no bueno. The second however was the ticket. I just "encouraged" the rear spar gently with my X1-single-pronged flat head separator and it "slipped" right in. :eek:)

BTW, would you happen to know if the flaps on a 7 are interchangeable with the 8? I emailed Van's support on what I described as RV-8/7 flaps they sent in the QB kit. Van's said I would have to trim the inboard skin to get them to work. After wing mating I held them up to measure for this and it is now obvious they will not. If the outboard edge of the flap is pressed against the aileron bracket the inboard angles of the flap protrude under the belly of the fuse on my 7, never mind the 3 inches of skin beyond that. It appears they sent RV-8 flaps for a 7. There is writing (in black marker) on the flaps that says (RV 7/8 QB).

Chris....
http://www.n212s.com

I'm not entirely getting your meaning. If you're holding you're flaps outboard end against your ailerons inboard end the flap is to far outboard. There is a 1/4? gap between the flap and aileron. As far as what needs to be trimmed I was frankly surprised at just how little had to be removed from the top skin of the flap to make them fit.

Very helpful information

Thanks. That is very helpful. I got up this morning to take another long look at the QB flap assemblies. They are definately RV-8 flaps and will not work on a 7. I usually don't expect Van's to make a shipping error like this and am a little surprised. I guess I'll be calling them today....

:(