JonJay

Well Known Member
How much oil could a 0360 suck if an 0360 could suck oil? :rolleyes:
Sorry, I am researching for a unique project and figure the engine gurus here have some answers that might speed my research.

We know the pressure, but what is the max. flow produced, or required, on the output of the oil pump?

If the pump is uncovered, how long until the pressure drops? Or sans gauge, until no oil is pumping to the parts?

Can a 0360 be fitted with an external pump and oil tank? Has it been done?

How much oil could a 0360 suck if an 0360 could suck oil? :rolleyes:
Sorry, I am researching for a unique project and figure the engine gurus here have some answers that might speed my research.

We know the pressure, but what is the max. flow produced, or required, on the output of the oil pump?

If the pump is uncovered, how long until the pressure drops? Or sans gauge, until no oil is pumping to the parts?

Can a 0360 be fitted with an external pump and oil tank? Has it been done?
I can't tell you how much oil the pump pumps, but I can tell you that the instant you unport the oil pickup you will create a bubble that will cause low oil pressure when it hits the pump. Short losses of oil pressure like this don't usually cause problems but the damage will accumulate over time.

-Andy

O-360 Oil Pump Flow Rate

This doesn't give the oil pump flow rate directly, but:

Textron Lycoming Specification No. 2169-P December 21, 1992 - Detail Specification for Engine, Aircraft, Model O-360-A Series, 180 HP, Direct Drive

Page 6 Section 22 Oil Cooler
Provisions made for use of a full flow oil cooler. Oil flow through the cooler system will be approximately 7 gallons per minute and heat rejection will not exceed 475 BTU/min.
Note: the oil cooler must be capable of withstanding continuous pressure of 150 psi and be designed for a minimum proof pressure of 400 psi. A pressure relief valve limits pressure drop through the cooler connection to 35 psi. A thermostatic bypass and pressure relief valve is available as optional equipment. It closes at 185 deg F routing all engine oil flow through the cooler. If pressure drop across the oil cooler system exceeds 75+15 psi the pressure relief valve opens bypassing the cooler.

Last edited: