mbetti

I am looking at an engine core out of a scrapped Musketeer, 150 hp, no logs, sat out on the ramp for 15 years. I was told it had a bad cylinder back then and was parked. I am doing a disassembly and then need to negociate a price. Looking for a range of prices it should be worth. Please advise.
Thanks,
Mike

I know what your saying. So far i have the gearcase and valve covers off. No rust, still has oil on many pieces. I suspect the story will change when i see the cylinders and cam. It has the old oil pump yet, i believe there is an AD on the gears.
Mike

0-320 core

Mike, If you have an N number, order the records from the FAA. photo the hobbs,and Tach for the time. Cylinders are replaceable the big thing is the crank,the 505b corrosion in the nose,cracks etc, the case, its nice to have all the parts keep and clean everything.15 years is a long time to sit,depending on
how much work you had to do,did you remove this from the plane?cheap as you can get it I would think $1500 to 2k would be a strong offer,less if the crank or case doesn't pass,Do you have the carb & mags? all good cores to turn in.To do this right you will need to spend 5 grand but you should have a solid engine when done. The cost is in machine work & new parts, getting them on the bench, putting it together is the fun part.
Bob

Great reply bob, this engine has the old bendix mags, carb yes. I will check with faa, never thought of doing that.
Mike

Keep in mind the cost of an ECi kit engine.

A friend recently bought a core O-320 and he is now at the point where he could have bought a brand new engine kit from ECi.

His crank and cam didn't pass and the cylinders need to be overhauled. At this point he is looking right at $15K for all the parts and pieces. That just happens to be the same price as the kit. However, the kit engine doesn't come with a carb, fuel pump, mags, etc.

Also, with the kit, you can spec a hollow crank so you can install a CS prop later, if you want.

If you go with this engine, I hope it works out for you. Being in the UP, with the dry winters, etc. you might just be OK.

Also, with the kit, you can spec a hollow crank so you can install a CS prop later, if you want.

I believe this engine should be a 150 hp with a hollow crank. However, the "nose" section uses the wrong bearing set-up for a constant speed prop. Also SB 505 doesn't affect the 150 hp engine unless you do something to increase the hp.

lyc

Lycoming SSP 108 lists two 150 hp engines for Musketeer.
0 320 E2C-two piece front main, should support constant speed prop
0 320E3D- 0 235 front main, will not support c/s prop.

150hp

If you have the money to buy a CS prop, you should order a new Engine from Mattatuck. When you find a lycoming on an forgotten ship, it really is bottom dollar all the way. You still can't get out and walk so send everything out for 8130's and build it right. You can buy cylinder sets on ebay for $1200or so.
160 conversion if the crank passes if not 150,but if the crank can't pass its not worth anything and will always be a question in your mind. Exchange the carb &mags for rebuilt,new, there is a sale on Mags,harness,plugs I think $1600 or so.
Look if this Crank&Case don't Pass. Sell it on ebay for parts.Never through good money after bad but expect to replace the cam&lifters and what ever you need to make this engine right.Nothing makes a pilot sweat like the big fan stopping.
Bob

Ask the air boat..

Ask the air boat engine builders what they would give for this engine, offer less, if you get it ,,,? sell it to them. Then buy a new Lycoming for yor RV

Last edited:
Lycoming SSP 108 lists two 150 hp engines for Musketeer.
0 320 E2C-two piece front main, should support constant speed prop
0 320E3D- 0 235 front main, will not support c/s prop.

This one is a E2C.
I rebuilt several engines for airplanes in the last couple years. The local IA has no problem inspecting and signing off my work when needed. The crank is coming out saturday, like everyone says that's should determine it.
I plan on a fixed pitch for this machine.
Not sure about the 160 HP upgrade, I would suspect Avgas only. I don't believe in autogas, but who knows where avgas is going in the future. Or am I wrong, premium would work in it?
For now the engine became available, so just collecting parts. I am just starting the airframe, so it will be a couple years.
Mike

This core looks good, the crank is clean no pits, it should pass the 505B. Does anyone know if this crank will support a constant speed prop. Also, anyone know where i can find the parts or info needed to make 160hp?
Thanks,
Mike

To make it 160HP you just need 75089 pistons with heavy wall piston pins. You should be OK with 91 octane and higher fuel with 75089 pistons and the resultant 8.5:1 compression ratio.
To make it Constant speed or fixed pith you need to comply with Lycoming SI 1435, which details the change from CS to FP or vice versa.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

You could also go with the H2AD 9:1 pistons and get closer to 165hp. If/when Avgas actually goes away (especially if you have built engines and can comfortably pull cylinders), you could always just pull cylinders and swap pistons. Pretty easy job that could be started and finished in the same day. If the crank and case are good then it's worth more than $2k right there.