npowell

Well Known Member
I'm looking at a newly overhauled 0320-A2B for an RV-9A. It is 160hp, needs conical mount, and is narrow deck. Has hollow crank. Does anyone have any concerns or advice?

Thanks
Neal

Neal I would look real close who did the overhaul and conversion. This engine was 150 HP with a solid crank. You need to make sure everything was done right.
Shinr'r (Sunny, WARM, Pittsburgh, Pa.)

Conical mount engines locate the carb further aft then dynafocal mount engines do.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

A2B

Mahlon: I may be wrong, but I think Van's conical engine mount for the RV's take that into account.

Neal: You can confirm that with Van's Tech Staff if you end up with the engine.

Conical Carb Location Followup

I am looking for the same info and cannot find it by searching.....

Early Lycoming conical mount, "aft" carburated engine, what would be the problems expected to be encountered in mounting this in a Vans conical engine mount in a 6, (not a 6a) ??

Would there be interference at the firewall???? Exhaust (Vetterman) clears everything. Any other issues experienced with an aft-carb location????

Any experience would be appreciated.

MontanaMike
RV-6 FWF Stuff
N918MB Reserved

The interference will come with the nose gear mount. You would need the newer sump which places the carb further forward. It is an easy swap to do, I got all the pieces parts from Mahlon. There is a slight mod to the accessory case...bolting in one block plate, and removing one oil galley plug. Pretty easy to do.

It sounds like the engine is already altered from the original config, so it may have the sump you need. Check that the carb forward of the rear sump kick out and the intake pipes are all similar shape and nearly the same length.

This engine was 150 HP with a solid crank. You need to make sure everything was done right.
Shinr'r (Sunny, WARM, Pittsburgh, Pa.)
My Lycoming parts manual shows this engine has a hollow crank, P/N LW-17060, same as my O-320-E3D. It cannot use a C/S prop because of the front bearing set up. But it should have a hollow crank.

Rear Carb o-320 Clarification Please

Do I understand you correctly, that interference will occur with the nosegear unless the carb is moved foreward?/ Nosegear implies an A. Will there be the same problem with the taildragger mount??/

MontanaMike
RV6 N918MB Reserved
FWF

with the longer mount specific to the 7 with an O-320, the aft sump vertical induction will fit on a taildragger, but the control cables will be different.

I have an O-320, but I converted to the newer sump. The old one will fit.

o-320 aft carb

Thank you John. It did look like it would be in the clear, but I was fretting as usual. I saw an installation in an A yesterday late, and it becomed very clear from liiking at that nosegear mount what the problem would be.
I am assuming then that with my 6 being set up with the 7 firewall/battery/controlmods that I will order cables for a 7. Thanks for the help!
:)