Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
OK, I know the caveats about 02 systems and petroleum-based things...so here's my simple :) question...

What do you advise passengers about using things like Chapstick, makeup, etc., if you are anticipating use of the 02 system on board your plane?

I have an Aerox system, and figure that it will come into use for flying over the Rockies, etc., but want to make sure I brief passengers appropriately about what is and isn't allowed for use while using the system (with either cannulas...cannulae?) or masks. Many people get dried/chapped lips in flight, and our female passengers may want to use or wear make-up...what should I tell them?

TIA...just want to make sure nobody gets seriously hurt because of a system that's *supposed* to be used to make flight at altitude more comfortable or even possible...

Steve

I would advise your passengers not to apply chapstick or lipstick up their nose.
-:)
Seriously, my wife uses lipstick and chapstick and has never had an issue. And on the rare times an airliner has depressurized, I haven't heard of any passenger's lips burning after donning an oxygen mask.

Putting grease on a fitting that sees 2000 psi of pure oxygen is another matter.