rvator10

Well Known Member
Patron
:confused: Help Lycoming gear heads,
I pulled the spec (below) on a Lycoming 0-360J2A, horizontal helicopter engine...R22

Q- what are the prop flange bushings? something to worry about?
Q-can I put a std. Aluminum propeller on this crankshaft?
Q-why is the engine rated 145 hp at 2400 to 2700+RPM?
Q-what caused the de-rating, camshaft?

thanks
-----------------------------------------
O-360-J2A Similar to the O-360-C1C except has O-320-B2C prop flange bushings, light weight cylinders and lower power rating.

O-360-C1C Similar to O-360-C1A except has Bendix 200 series magnetos.

O-360-C1A Similar to O-360-A1A except has crankcase machined for conical rubber mount bushings in place of dynafocal mountings.

O-360-A1A Basic Model. Four cylinder, horizontally opposed, air cooled, direct drive engine with provisions for supplying oil through propeller shaft for a single acting controllable pitch propeller.

O-360-B2C Similar to O-360-B2A except has heavier IO-360-A crankshaft and rods.
------------------------------------------------------

I got prop bushings

In the crank flange, the prop bushings are pressed (interference fit, aka very tight) into the crank flange. The bushings have internal threads which the prop bolts screw into. The outside diameter of the bushings is a close fit in the prop flange holes. The bushings can be removed and re-pressed in but not easily. So you could change them out if needed, and it sounds like that would be in order for airplane use.

A 360 engine usually takes a "K" flange Hartzell, which is (6) 1/2" bolts on a 4.75" circle. A 320 sized bushing, typically a "L" flange Hartzell, uses the smaller 7/16" dia.

A O-320-B2C is another chopper engine, so who knows what the bushings are like. If you are going to upgrade the power to 180 hp, than you should go to the larger 360 bushings. That does not seem like a "show stopper", just a small pain.

It says like a O-360-C1C, which is like a C1A, so you have conical mounts.

I am guessing its a solid crank but may be hallow and just plugged. Whether the case is machined for prop oil, don't know.

Good luck

Last edited:
Stuff...

gmcjetpilot said:
In the crank flange, the prop bushings are pressed (interference fit, aka very tight) into the crank flange. The bushings have internal threads which the prop bolts screw into. The outside diameter of the bushings is a close fit in the prop flange holes. The bushings can be removed and re-pressed in but not easily. So you could change them out if needed, and it sounds like that would be in order for airplane use.

A 360 engine usually takes a "K" flange Hartzell, which is (6) 1/2" bolts on a 4.75" circle. A 320 sized bushing, typically a "L" flange Hartzell, uses the smaller 7/16" dia.

A O-320-B2C is another chopper engine, so who knows what the bushings are like. If you are going to upgrade the power to 180 hp, than you should go to the larger 360 bushings. That does not seem like a "show stopper", just a small pain.

It says like a O-360-C1C, which is like a C1A, so you have conical mounts.

I am guessing its a solid crank but may be hallow and just plugged. Whether the case is machined for prop oil, don't know.

Good luck

All of the prop bushing information you ever need to know is here.... :)

Lycoming Service Instruction 1098

It shows that the O-360-J2A has a thick (0.44") prop flange

The parts manual does not show a rear plug at the prop end of the crankshaft, so it is almost certainly a solid crank.

The accessory housing is machined for all the usual, including a prop governor...

Definitely conical mounts, but you could machine them to dynafocal if you do a major overhaul.

....hope this helps.... gil in Tucson