uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
Now that I have about 23 hours on my standard 8.5:1 ECI 0-360 the CHT's are settling down, is there any document or rule of thumb that I can use to check that the fuel flows are within reason (i.e I am not running on the rich side to cool the cylinders).
For example today's numbers were 65% power according to the Dynon at 7500 FT, OAT 48 with a fuel flow of around 9 GPH, CHT on #3 was 395, EGT around 1370.
Do these seem like reasonable numbers, as you can tell I do not know a lot about aircraft engines, on my Pacer it just has a tach:)

Dave, those are not out of line at all. I have an O-360 in my Rv-7A, but have 9:1 pistons. I usually see around 9-10 gph at those atltitudes, and around 160-165 KTAS. I actually flight plan 10 gph block to block time and it is pretty close, unless I fly up in the teens, then the flows seem to come down substantially. The 7 doesn't seem quite as happy in the teens as the 10 was.
I have almost 100 hours on mine now, and the CHT's rarely get to 390 in a climb, and I see 330-360 in cruise. This last week end at 9000' and oat of 10F, the CHT's were running around 300 in cruise, and oil temp at 175.

Vic

I also flight plan for 10 gph

Sounds reasonable to me too. I had an O-360-A4M in my Archer for 22 years and ran it at 2500 rpm all the time (FP no MP) and it was always 10 GPH every time I filled the tank. The O-360-A1A that I have in the RV-6A I run it at WOT, 2450 on leisurely trips and it is the same burn rate. In races I run it at 2720 rpm (sometimes I can eek out 2730), usually 500 ft AGL, the MP is between 29 and 30 in. and the burn rate is in the 14 gph range.

Bob Axsom

The little chart...

Now that I have about 23 hours on my standard 8.5:1 ECI 0-360 the CHT's are settling down, is there any document or rule of thumb that I can use to check that the fuel flows are within reason (i.e I am not running on the rich side to cool the cylinders).
For example today's numbers were 65% power according to the Dynon at 7500 FT, OAT 48 with a fuel flow of around 9 GPH, CHT on #3 was 395, EGT around 1370.
Do these seem like reasonable numbers, as you can tell I do not know a lot about aircraft engines, on my Pacer it just has a tach:)

...in my Lycoming O-360 Operators Manual states that the minimum fuel flow (for the -A models with 8.5:1 comp) at 65% power is 8.2 gall/hr.

Sounds like you are comfortably above this limit....assuming that your Dynon's 65% power number is accurate..:)

Last edited:
Thanks for input

Appreciate the feedback, CHT's still get into the low 400's on initial climbout and I plan to take another look at the baffles on the next oil change as I think the forward right side seal may not be sealing as well as it should (think I will split this into a couple of pieces to better follow the upper cowl inlet contour) and #1 & #3 are the hot side. I did do the fiberglass mod to stop the crossflow problem but only on the inside.
The dynon has the latest firmware 5.0 which apparently adds RPM to the power calculation mix so is supposedly more accurate, I took along a RPM/ALT/%Power chart I found on the web and the numbers we very similar to the Dynon.
Another engine question is the range for the shock cooling span alarm in the Dynon.
As you can tell we now have more information available to us than we ever had before, maybe too much:D