mpskidd

I'm New Here
considering purchasing a 0320b2c for a rv7 has anyone had any exp. with this engine org. off a robinson r-22 also how would one install a mech. fuel pump on it since it didnt orginally come with one on it?? thanks

I am using this engine, but not yet flying. The engine will accept a mechanical fuel pump with minor modification. Sorry, but it was so long ago when I added the pump that I can't remember exactly how I did it. I do not recall it being a big deal though. The main issue with the engine for some is that it is a conical mount. I have flown in a 6A with this engine and it was fine. I also had to change the sump for use with my 6A. If you are building a 7, then I believe you can use the stock sump.

Regards,

John
RV6A - Finishing (Hope to take to the Airport next month)
rv6a (at) rogers.com

If the accessory case is machined for a fuel pump, you many need to change one of the idler or mag drive gears with one that has an eccentric on it then add a plunger rod.

I did that over 12-years ago on my O-320 B2B Narrow deck Conical Mount that I converted to Constant Speed Prop operation. Has flown 2,161 hours without any fuel pump issues.

The Gear is: 75072
http://www.aeroinstock.com/products...28360%29/5598/48567/product_detail/index.html

Plunger is: 61544
http://www.aeroinstock.com/products/PLUNGER-%28360%29/5598/19820/product_detail/index.html

Both can be had for less than $100 used. Keep in mind that your accessory case must be machined to accept the fuel pump. It is possible that you may have one or both of the parts installed in your engine so check before ordering.

Should be able to purchase new parts from any of the other engine builders that advertise and support VAF. Aero advertises here and has a very easy to use web site with lots of Lycoming parts.

If you need the other sump...

...I have a used one I can sell. I also have the intake tubes needed to go with it.

The "aft mount" carb on the O-320's will interfere with the nose gear on the -A models - per John's post earlier.

Lycoming 320 B2C

I bought the same engine one year ago for my 7A, and made the a.m. described modifications ( fuel pump with gear and idle, sump & intake pipes). I asked to Vans and they recommended to change the sump because the position of the carb is not compatible with the front gear (even on 7A apparently). I bought all the part from Areosport (great service), they delivered a "kit" with all included. Total cost of parts about $1000. The only problem I encountered was the position of the cable bracket not aligned between the 2 tubes of the engine mount. I ordered a bracket with no holes from Van?s. I guess his is due to the specific sump I received from Aerosport. Also, the baffle you receive from Van?s is not 100% compatible for the conical mount, but not a big deal.