drmax

Well Known Member
Hello. I've recently ran onto a 6 with an o-320 e2d that was upgraded with larger pistons and now 160HP. Just curious as what this does to the existing parts within the engine, as in, how well do they handle the additional torques and stresses? I'm green with this, as to why I ask. Last thing I want, is to buy someone elses problems. Since major, the eng has 1150 and it's turning a m/t comp. fixed prop. Thx for any info/advice. DM

UPGRADE

The E series had plain steel cylinders vs Nitride on factory 160 hp. The certified upgrades to 160 hp require either Nitride, chrome or nickel cylinders. Lots of 160 upgrades on EAB with plain steel cylinders. The front main bearing configuration doesn't matter unless you are planning to change to a constant speed prop. Mosty of the E series have 0 235 front main which will not support a constant speed. A few have the two piece front main which will support the constant speed if the engine is set up to accomodate a governor.

ok

The E series had plain steel cylinders vs Nitride on factory 160 hp. The certified upgrades to 160 hp require either Nitride, chrome or nickel cylinders. Lots of 160 upgrades on EAB with plain steel cylinders. The front main bearing configuration doesn't matter unless you are planning to change to a constant speed prop. Mosty of the E series have 0 235 front main which will not support a constant speed. A few have the two piece front main which will support the constant speed if the engine is set up to accomodate a governor.
So it sound pretty much a normal procedure, providing a worthy shop did the repair and all is documented. I think the compressions are all at mid 70's and not using much oil. It is regulary run. I think the secret to longevity is "run the **** outta them" :D

Going to 160 hp is accomplished by installing 8.5:1 pistons.
I installed 9.5:1 pistons in my E3D. I have over 800 hrs since overhaul and it still runs great. I've had absolutely no problems.
The E3D is basically the same engine as the E2D except that some E2Ds didn't have the fuel pump.

160 hp

Changing to higher comp 160hp pistons is the standard and usually done on a rebuild of most O-320 150 hp engines.

The Negitive of higher comp pistons (9.5:1/10.5:1) is that you then will be limited from using Mogas. You will need to use 100LL avgas.

The positive: The 160 hp configuration will actually run more efficiently. do it.

Last edited:
Changing to higher comp 160 hp pistons is the standard and usually done on a rebuild of most O-320 150 hp engines.

The negitive is that you then will be limited from using Mogas. You will need to use 100LL avgas.

The positive: The 160 hp configuration will actually run more efficiently. do it.

I have found this to be not true.

Hi comp pistons vs Mogas

I have been advised by professionals, the following:

High comp pistons in a O-320/O-360 (9.5:1 or 10:5:1) not recommended for low octane Mogas.

(8.5:1 is ok for Mogas) I did this for years and still do with good results.

Gudgeon pins

Have done this with mine...... make sure it has the thick walled gudgeon pins (wrist pins).

Have done this with mine...... make sure it has the thick walled gudgeon pins (wrist pins).

Don't you automatically get those when you use the higher compression pistons?

Also, IIRC the 8.5 CR pistons are cheaper than the lower compression ones.

49clipper

How about using 30%-50% mogas with the rest 100LL with the 16ohp engine. Keeps the octane up there about 97.

Gudeon pins

You would have to check this with the supplier. I had 8.5 /1 pistons put in when I had the engine overhauled about 15 years ago........ it has been pickled since then. My inspector wanted my to do the crank inspection before releasing the aeroplane for flight.

So, when I pulled the engine apart I found I needed to have the crank bore honed to get rid of a bit of corrosion, and the Ad complied with. I realised at this time that the shop had fitted the original thin walled gudgeon pins from the 7/1 pistons.

So, I suspect the pistons are supplied without pins....... the AD requiring thick walled pins came out after the shop did this so they are not to blame.

A check of the log books should reveal what you have fitted here, if they just replaced pistons and its an old engine it may have the thin walled pins. Its not that expensive to replace these if you do it yourself.Its about a days work.

I would not walk away from this aeroplane, just do your homework and negotiate from a position of knowledge.

Last edited:
320 or 360

so you could use mogas in either of the two engines?, or is it more suited for 160 hp and lower? I sure get a bag of mixed results. Somone even spoke of using it in IO models....and other said NOWAY. sorta hard to do the homework, with the mixed bag of answers. thx though.

???

so you could use mogas in either of the two engines?, or is it more suited for 160 hp and lower? I sure get a bag of mixed results. Somone even spoke of using it in IO models....and other said NOWAY. sorta hard to do the homework, with the mixed bag of answers. thx though.

??? :confused: