n2prise

Well Known Member
I have an RV-9A with ECI/Penn Yan Aero 0-320-D1A engine (160 HP). I also have the Hartzell constant speed prop purchased through Van's. The oil cooler is the standard unit purchased in the Van's firewall forward kit. Hot summer days find me with oil temps in the 200-220 range on climbs at 120-130 MPH. The cooler is mounted behind the #4 cylinder per the plans.

Anyone out there having similar problems? Any ideas about the possibility of clogged cooling tubes, etc? Testing for same?

The total time on engine and airframe is just over 238 hours since first flight on June 9, 2005. The typical oil temp is around 180 degrees F when cruising up high (7,500 to 12,500 MSL) at 160MPH TAS.

See this page for photos during initial installation: http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a064.htm

Thanks,

Same Setup

Hi Jerry,

I have essentially the same setup as you. ECi 160/CS prop and need to run a partial blocker plate on my oil cooler to keep my oil temps above 180, even in the summer. I have a full blocker plate with 5 - 1" holes. In the summer all holes are open, and in the winter only 1 is open.

Maybe a bad Vernatherm or a blocked cooler line?

Jerry,

I have a completely different engine/plane, but 200 to 220 on climb sounds just fine (redline is 250, I believe). As long as it drifts down during cruise, you shouldn't worry.

If you think about it, you don't want excessive cooling either, as it is just drag. So, temps creeping up during climb should be thought of as a good trade off between cooling and speed.

Warm oil guy is in TN Using ? Oil?

Cool oil guy is in MN. Using ? Oil?

Might not be to warm considering OAT and oil type. Some have reported different oil temps with different oil.

Last edited:
I have an RV-9A with ECI/Penn Yan Aero 0-320-D1A engine (160 HP). I also have the Hartzell constant speed prop purchased through Van's. The oil cooler is the standard unit purchased in the Van's firewall forward kit. Hot summer days find me with oil temps in the 200-220 range on climbs at 120-130 MPH. The cooler is mounted behind the #4 cylinder per the plans.

Anyone out there having similar problems? Any ideas about the possibility of clogged cooling tubes, etc? Testing for same?

The total time on engine and airframe is just over 238 hours since first flight on June 9, 2005. The typical oil temp is around 180 degrees F when cruising up high (7,500 to 12,500 MSL) at 160MPH TAS.

See this page for photos during initial installation: http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a064.htm

Thanks,

Jerry,

Same engine D1A and same prop, same Van's cooler and same indications as you. I've tried another vernatherm with no help. We are on the west coast and summer temps are up consistantly on climb. Aeroshell 100+ always. I'm curious what you find out.

Best,

I'm very happy with the oil temperatures on my RV-6, but if I try and sustain a 110 knot climb on a hot day, they will climb above 200 degrees every time.

That's why I prefer an 800 fpm, 135-140 knot climb.

Another data point: RV-9A O-320-D2A, baffle-mounted stock cooler. Runs very consistently 205-208 degrees with OAT 60-80 degrees, cruise or climb.

Not convinced I have a problem, isn't this within the normal range specified by Lycoming? I guess the "ideal" they mention is 185?

I might still be breaking in the engine at 45 hours. Running Aeroshell Oil 100, non AD. CHTs high 300s-low 400s.

Last edited: