As the Van's supplied alternators do not fit H2AD's what options have others found?

We have purchased an H2AD that was recently rebuilt but it came without a starter or alternator but does have a Ellison Injector carb. Engine is now hung in our 9A.

We would be grateful for any advice on the alternator and also on any other points about this engine.

Dave Wilson

I used a Plane Power alternator on my 9A with an H2AD, only thing is the supplied mounting bracket didn't fit so I used the original one from the Ford alternator. If I remember right I had to bend the adjusting arm a little too.

alt

I used an alt from a toyata tercell 70 amp with a larger pully the bracket was alycoming type bracket that i had to modify and adjust the tension arm fits great works great for 60 bucks at napa

ken in maine rv-7

Alt.

Thanks for your replies Greg and Ken. Our engine came without the original bracket as it had previously had an alt. diven from the vacuum pump drive gears so we are endevouring to buy one.

David Wilson
Solway flyers.

Post back with what you do Dave. I'm in the same boat. I'd like to use the original h2ad bracket if I can.

not is not a big deal line up what ever alt you are using keep nthe belt as short as possible and weld the mount so you dont have to use spacers bolt it to the engine and run with it it will be problem free

ken

H2 alt bracket fatigue

My advice it to replace the H2 bracket with new, or zyglo the one you have. I've got two with my engine, one had broken and had been welded, the other had fatigue cracks in the reverse bend. It may be on my 1000-hour replace list.

I'm using plane power, the drawings look good.

Rick 90432 9a, h2ad

H2AD

I used a Plane Power aternator.
They were able to get me the needed bracket from a local Salvage yard

Good point on the bracket Rick. I haven't had a chance to look mine over yet.

I'm trying to decide between automotive or plane power. The plane power alt seems like a safe plug and play (maybe?) solution. For a bit less I can get an auto alt and an LR3C. It may take some kajiggering to make it work, but then I can buy an alternator almost anywhere should it die (which it will almost certainly do at some point).

I've got plenty of other stuff to do right now, so I'll probably revisit this in a few months.