We have here two E-2D's for fitting into a RV-9 . Being ex Skyhawk engines they are not fitted with a mechanical fuel pump as standard. I can source a replacement back case but I am not sure on the modifications required in order to drive the pump . Anyone help?

David Burke said:
We have here two E-2D's for fitting into a RV-9 . Being ex Skyhawk engines they are not fitted with a mechanical fuel pump as standard. I can source a replacement back case but I am not sure on the modifications required in order to drive the pump . Anyone help?
Two O-320's in an RV-9!? Sounds fun!! ;)

My dad was in exactly the same situation. As I recall, he had to get an accessory cover that would accomodate the mechanical fuel pump. Get ahold of a rebuilder or salvage operation, and I bet you could buy the correct cover and sell back the existing and not come out in too bad of shape financially. Recommend enParts in Lancaster, TX. They've helped me out several times with good, used Lyc parts at very fair prices.

Don't forget a gasket, idler gear and plunger for the pump. Tell them what you're doing and they (if a decent operation) should help.

Could also consider a dual electric fuel pump arrangement. But that's not my cup of tea.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Low - we acquired two 1900hrs engines which have good history. One is a Mattituck unit - that is now stripped of back case and I am having a mental block on the arrangement to operate the fuel pump from the plunger upwards i.e what drives it from the gear drive sid.

There's an idler gear that has a cam lobe on it that you'd need.. the lobe pushes on the plunger and that's how it drives it. It's the big gear that connects crankshaft gear with camshaft gear. If you have to change it, make sure you set the timing marks properly.

A few bucks for the correct parts catalog would be a good idea, IMHO.

I called Aerosport with a similar question a couple months ago. If I remember the answer correctly, some E2D's had cover plates on the accessory case where a fuel pump could be mounted and some did not. For them to do the work, Sue quoted me $750 to add a pump if there was a cover plate and another $750 or so if they had to change the accessory case, parts included--again, if I remember correctly. I'm fairly sure those prices are in the ballpark.

Those prices arn't bad considering the pound at the moment! I did a number of oil pump impellor changes when they became critical circa mid 1990's I just couldn't visualise the arrangement to drive the fuel pump at the cogs! I will visit my local engine shop and digest the parts book . Thanks for all the help so far - it's much appreciated being a new guy to RV building!

While looking for parts, keep in mind that the E3D is basically the same engine except they came out of Cherokees and Beech Sports (low wings), so they will be equipped with fuel pump. Some E2Ds have pumps, some don't.

Give Mahlon Russell a call at mattituck he can hook you up with all the parts for a great price. I used a new pump and gear and a used plunger and accessory case, I think I spent $500. Good luck. Bob

FYI
The 0320-E2D in the 68 Cardinals have the engine driven fuel pump installed from the factory also