N282RV

Well Known Member
Does anyone know what it would take to make a e2a constant speed? I am confused as to where the prop gov goes on that engine. Is is on the back asscy pad or up front on the case? I have a parts catalog and cant figure it out from that. Maybe someone with that engine could tell me.
thanks

N282RV said:
Does anyone know what it would take to make a e2a constant speed? I am confused as to where the prop gov goes on that engine. Is is on the back asscy pad or up front on the case? I have a parts catalog and cant figure it out from that. Maybe someone with that engine could tell me.
thanks
The prop govnr goes on the accessory case on the lower right pad.
You need:
1) the correct prop govnr for the accessory case, (Not sure which model you have, but on the rv-4 you need to modify the firewall to add a recess in the firewall to give adequate clearance for the prop govnr if not already done.)
2) I believe there is a spacer/bracket that goes between the prop govnr and the assessory case,
3) There is a stainless steel line that goes from the spacer/govr to a fitting on the front right side of the engine to deliver oil to the C/S prop.
4) C/S prop with correct spacer to fix cowling.
5) Modify/remove? the plug in the crank so the oil can get to the C/S prop
6) New prop cable to whereever you are mounting your controls.
7) Might want to really clean out all of the sludge buildup in the crank before installing the C/S prop.

You will need to remove the front plug from the crankshaft, and replace the rear plug with a solid one. The rear plug should have been removed or pierced for fix pitch operation.

well that sounds like what I thought but got confused when talking to a few guys about where the gov goes. I dont know if this is good or bad as I live near the whirlwind factory here in ohio and I was there the other day and the props look SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET, custom colors, polished nickel leading edge. I believe a 151 which is a 3 blade is the one for this engine. Down side is the extra cost on finishing the project.......well mama just got a new job so maybe I can swing it..
I have a basket case engine and have purchased a crank from a guy on ebay, crank is at aircraft specialties right now so having a plug put in should not be a problem at this stage.
Anyone have pics of the gov on the back of the case?

No pics available right now, but I converted my -E2A to 160 hp and constant speed. Pretty much done as described above. Has given me no problems in almost 900 hrs.

Did you have the clearance on the back for the gov to firewall? Or did you have to modify the firewall? How much was the gov adapter, tube and drive gear? And since you have flown with both I assume was it worth the money for the upgrade? What kind of fixed pitch were you using before, cruise, climb ect.

No additional clearance will be needed with the -8 firewall and the prop governor. Assuming you're using a stock Van's motor mount.

I bought a used governor adapter accessories from EnParts in Lancaster, TX for a fraction of what new would cost. Can't recall the actual price.

Is it worth it? The CS performance is significantly improved. But is it worth $5,000-$10,000? I think it depends solely on your available cash funds understanding that it's a pretty good investment in the overall project (resale) value.

I've flown both FP and CS powered RV's. The improved performance of the CS arrgt is noticable, but does not make for a slam-dunk decision. I had lots of budget surplus after finding a very cheap engine, so I bought the CS accessories.

Last edited:
So you have a -8 with a 0-320 CS what kind of numbers do you see? cruise at what power setting, fuel burn, what speed you plan with. Do you have any pics of your plane? whole plane or otherwise.?
If I can swing it I sure would like to do this CS thing, its just a really big change later if you want to do it then.. pull the engine ect....
I too found a good deal on an engine and initially thought I would spend the money on the prop and not extra cubic inches. But money talks and 5-10K is alot of gas to buy and fly with.....
decisions decisions
well my non rv work is calling.........darn drywall I hate it, would rather be prosealing tanks.............................

Last edited:
N282RV said:
So you have a -8 with a 0-320 CS what kind of numbers do you see? cruise at what power setting, fuel burn, what speed you plan with. Do you have any pics of your plane? whole plane or otherwise.?
If I can swing it I sure would like to do this CS thing, its just a really big change later if you want to do it then.. pull the engine ect....
I too found a good deal on an engine and initially thought I would spend the money on the prop and not extra cubic inches. But money talks and 5-10K is alot of gas to buy and fly with.....
decisions decisions
well my non rv work is calling.........darn drywall I hate it, would rather be prosealing tanks.............................
Well, let's see... it'll do about 185 mph at 8000' and 2400 rpm. I plan with more like 180.

Will do 205 at sea level, 80-85-F, full throttle and 2700 rpm. Cruise fuel burn is 8-8.5 and sea level, flat-out maybe close to 10-11 (I have no fuel flow instrument and haven't calculated it a while). I topped the engine with reconditioned Sentry chrome cylinders last June. Even though I've run it hard, I haven't really done any closely timed speed runs since, but I know I've gained 3-5 kts.

One known data point that I do have is that my garage-built O-320 will beat my buddy's -6A with a brand new Lycoming O-360 and Sensenich FP prop by about 1-2 knots! And that was before the new cylinders. :D Of course I like to remind him of of this periodically.

PM me or post your email and I'll send you pics.