RLrothJr

I'm New Here
Hey Folks,
I am new to the RV world. As a matter of fact I just purchased an RV-6. It is equipped with an o-320 and a c/s Hartzell prop. Any ideas on where I can find some info on how best to operate this engine and prop combination.
Rick

This is from my notes during transition training with Mike Seager in the -6. I used this till I was comfortable with the c/s and then adjusted as I saw fit.

Take Off: Throttle Full, Prop Full Fine
Climb: Throttle 25” MP, Prop 2500 RPM
Pattern: Throttle 18” MP, Prop 2300 RPM
Approach : Throttle 1800 - 2000 RPM, Prop Full Fine (use like a fixed pitch through approach, landing and go around, just make sure prop is full fine)

High Cruise: Throttle 24” MP, Prop 2400 RPM
Medium Cruise: Throttle 23” MP, Prop 2300 RPM
Low Cruise: Throttle 20” MP, Prop 2300 RPM

Slowing for Pattern : Throttle 14” MP till 110/120 then 18”, Prop 2300 RPM

Reduction order: Throttle - Prop - Mixture
Increase order: Mixture - Prop - Throttle

Also note that when pulling the throttle back keep pulling until under the target MP. When you pull the prop back the MP will increase. Don't be a slave to the numbers, close is good enough, fly the airplane.

Last edited:
Rick,

That is a very good guide that Mark wrote. Notice there is no rpm operation between 2000 & 2300 rpm. Check the engine & prop combo you have to see if there is an area to avoid. The 0-360 and hartzell on our 8 says avoid 2050 - 2250 rpm. Other than that, operate as prescribed in Marks email and enjoy the climb performance!

Numbers

If you like numbers, consider that the formula for HP is Torque X RPM, so changing either side of the formula affects horsepower. Without a CS prop, the throttle controls both MP and RPM. The CS just lets one fine tune HP for every condition.

YMMV

prop

To use the full range of power options it would be best to get the power setting information from a certified engine/prop combination. Also don't hesitate to use full throttle/full r/m any time you need it for as long as you need it.

Welcome

Hey Folks,
I am new to the RV world. As a matter of fact I just purchased an RV-6. It is equipped with an o-320 and a c/s Hartzell prop. Any ideas on where I can find some info on how best to operate this engine and prop combination.
Rick

Hey Rick. Welcome from another new RV6 owner. Good advice exists here. I took the same training with Mike Seager, so have nothing to add re: engine ops to what has been said above, but saw it was your first post and wanted to welcome you.

Mike Seager

Mike does transition training for folks who have never flown an RV before. He also does tailwheel training. Most insurance companies require some time in type or some level of transition training. Mike works out of Oregon.