hevansrv7a

Well Known Member
The Dynon (mine is the 1100) there is a place to input a sink rate in order to display a "glide ring". The right number would be with dead engine, of course. But every 12 that I've flown or looked at has some residual power at idle so the right number can only be obtained experimentally with a dead engine. If you have done this, please share your findings. Mine has full wheel fairings so I'd prefer data for that setup.

Please and thank you.

I don't remember the numbers, but I did several dead stick landings in my plane. (I have some glider experience, so it wasn't completely new.). The procedure is pretty simple: establish a normal downwind at a field with a long runway. Slow down to about 60 kts with the throttle closed and cut both ignition switches. If needed, nose up until the prop stops windmilling then return to best glide speed or around 60 kts. Return both ignitions to ON so all you have to do is turn the key if you need power again. Fly a normal pattern but aim about 1000' from the threshold to give yourself some safety margin. Land, start, taxi back, take off, repeat until comfortable with the procedure.

If you live in Ohio, I'm happy to do some instruction with you.