Yesterday, While working on completing my RV-8, I reviewed my primary flight controls, and installed the aileron travel stops. I was checking control friction, and noticed some in 'pitch'. So I went back to the elevator and started poking around. finally, I pushed it all the way down to the stop. When I pulled it back up, IT STUCK! But it still moved in a springy way. I couldn't easily find the problem because everything could move a little bit.
Finally, I found it in the right elevator. The skin overlap (pop riveted together at the front) had caught on the lower spar bar of the horizontal stab.
This assembly has been together for several years, and I'm getting pretty close to the Airworthiness Inspection. Needless to say, this whole thing is going to be taken apart and the plans reviewed etc.
So my comment to everyone: Keep a close eye on your primary flight controls!
EAA 668340, chapter 326 & IAC chapter 67
RV-8 N89SE first flight 12/26/2013
Yak55M, and the wife has an RV-4
There is nothing
-absolute nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing around with Aeroplanes
(with apologies to Ratty)