What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vertex VXA-220 problem

LarryT

Well Known Member
I bought this radio as a back-up. It did not work with my Halo headset so I haven't used it.

Recently, I moved the passenger PTT switch from the stick to the IP. I wanted to perform a radio check, so I charged the Vertex up and confirmed full charge with a Voltmeter.

The [expletive deleted] radio will not power on. How does a radio go TU sitting in a map pocket?

Any ideas - it's long past warranty even though it has been used 3x total.

I believe the same Japanese company that makes the Vertex also makes the self-combusting batteries for the Boeing 787. Maybe there is a lesson here.

Larry Tompkins
544WB -6A
W52 Battle Ground, WA

I have one of those and the battery was never that good. I keep it in my hangar in the charger, turn it on and that's how mine works. Take it out of the charger and it doesn't work because the battery is so poor.

Did you try it in the charger?

Vertex

I have a vertex and love it. Way better than my old icoms. I had a ship comm failure one time, grabbed my vertex and the free cable for the headset they give you and when i called tower telling them i was on a handheld atc actually commented it was excellent.

Maybe you just got a lemmon. My experience is the exact opposite, I highly recomment vertex and will never buy another icom product. Your mission may vary.

Egg on my face

Even though the battery-to-radio contacts looked fine I scraped them off and the radio came on. There was no trouble shooting advice in the operator's manual - I just got lucky because there was nothing else to do.

Larry

Back