What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator E-713 Counterweight Hole

330Jock

Well Known Member
OK don't know why this happened but when dimpling e-713 counter weight I got a crack. Is this trash bin or not?
DSCN0128-1_zps5c2144ab.jpg

why?

Only a guess, but id say stress riser from deburr operation. Lots of streching for the big dimple. Finish hole size with reamer might be better. Doubt it will be a problem, but since its a small part, i'd probably get a new part if it was me. No practical way to repair comes to mind...

These larger holes often end up slightly triangular if finished to full size with a drill bit. Best to use a reamer if you can. A triangular hole is hard to debur properly and often cracks when dimpled.

I'll second that

I agree completely with JimGreen. Whenever possible, use reamers to final-size your holes throughout the entire aircraft. You only need one of each... #40, #30, and a few others that you can buy as you go along. Even for those holes that aren't pre-punched, you can drill a subsize hole and finish it with your reamer.

Back