- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-02-2021, 10:27 PM

Default New New Zealand RV7 build.

Hi Glenn from New Zealand. In Palmerston North. ordered a standard build RV7 kit...tail dragger. bit of a wait because as you all probably know...there is a lead time...i'm told 4 months for the tail and 7 for the wings and fuse. Im one month down from order.
I have tooled up mostly from Cleaveland Tools. They are on the way. All the standard RV7 stuff for a kit CT has plus the pneumatic squeezer.

I was given an installation kit to make a drdt2 Dimpler and I have made the frame...used 3"x6" x1/4" thick for the frame. (thats 75mm x 150mm x 6mm for us kiwis) but i'm adopting the imperial lingo as much as possible!

The Dimpler frame is at the powder coaters...

I also have some stuff from the yard store and browns tools too. new 2x Sioux rivet gun...3x used sioux and a used 1412 sioux drill. Borrowing clecos from here in nz as shipping is quite a bit on those. I have a 1.5" and 3" yoke....all the Cleaveland dimple dies, drills, reamers, hand tools, back rivet set, swivel mushroom set, micro stop needle bearing cage, single flute countersinks, etc etc. Most tools are CT. I wanted top quality gear to build with and I think I've done ok.

Vans are sending some clecos, a scotch brite wheel and some practice kits with my empennage kit.

So my build will be.
lycoming 180 hp M1B with cold air induction and EIS to give closer to 190 HP....(thanks lycoming for the 13% increase...DOH!) and a cato three blade fixed.
Ive thought long and hard about the whole CS versus fixed debate but Im not hugely into aerobatics nor making a short field machine and like the "keep it simple stupid" approach. Yes Im aware of the whole debate but I have 21000 flight hours flying boeing and airbus for the last 21 years so I can manage energy and don't need extra stuff to play with in the cockpit (oh except a nice electronic avionics package!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64603649191__2BBA06B8-EF46-475A-8315-FCF8914249ED.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	13282  
Old 07-03-2021, 06:07 AM

Welcome to VAF!

If you are new to Experimentals I can’t over-recommend you come to Oshkosh this month. I’ll watch my PMs, and buy you a coffee there if we can meet up!

Carl

RV7A - purchased flying 05/2020
RV6A - sold
Old 07-03-2021, 09:55 AM

Default New New Zealand RV7 build.

Congratulations on your new build! You may want to study the Vans instructions, the part about FP vs CS props, in some detail before you finalize that decision. Lots of good advice in there. When I was making this decision, the metal FP prop had a barred speed range, and I wasn't keen on the maintenance issues of wood FP props. Even though Vans earlier (ie RV-4) demo planes had, I believe wood FP props, all of the recent ones (-7,-8,-9,-10,-14) have CS props. I made my decision for a CS prop due to the wide speed range, better climb performance, and better fuel economy in cruise.
Old 07-03-2021, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytoday View Post
Welcome to VAF!

If you are new to Experimentals I can’t over-recommend you come to Oshkosh this month. I’ll watch my PMs, and buy you a coffee there if we can meet up!

Carl
Cheers Carl. Unfortunately work is busy but I will do Oshkosh one of my build years for sure. Nice place Houston...I spent quite a bit of time there flying the 777 into Houston. I got caught up in hurricane Harvey....we got stuck in the hotel and ended up being a 10 day trip in the end. We helped the skeleton staff they had to run the hotel! Was a bit of fun.

Last edited by swift12 : 07-03-2021 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-03-2021, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrye View Post
Congratulations on your new build! You may want to study the Vans instructions, the part about FP vs CS props, in some detail before you finalize that decision. Lots of good advice in there. When I was making this decision, the metal FP prop had a barred speed range, and I wasn't keen on the maintenance issues of wood FP props. Even though Vans earlier (ie RV-4) demo planes had, I believe wood FP props, all of the recent ones (-7,-8,-9,-10,-14) have CS props. I made my decision for a CS prop due to the wide speed range, better climb performance, and better fuel economy in cruise.
Cheers for the info. Yeah I kinda have. The cost and maintenance plus the Governor of the CSU prop turns me off....the Cato is a composite prop. With nickel leading edges it has very little maintenance. Not a lot of weight difference as the Cato needs extra weight for weight and balance. Noise and fuel economy ....yep...but I’ll lose a few knots and throttle back....just enjoy the fly...it’s not all about speed and numbers to me....do enough of that flying the bus.
Climb performance is just a number...at 190 horse I gather it will achieve a good rate of climb.....the Cato more or less 15k less to set up....will buy a lot of fuel. So cheers for the comments but I’ll stick with the FP....the engine has the hollow crank so maybe one day if I felt like modding it.

Btw....Vancouver....one of my Fav destinations. I have family in Chilliwack. Spent 6 months there when I was 18 helping my Uncle with clear cut spraying. He flew a piper brave. That was many breakfasts ago.

Last edited by swift12 : 07-03-2021 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-04-2021, 02:43 AM

Default Congratulations

As a 46 year ag pilot, I concur…simplicity.

Our 6A had a 180 hp Lyc, which we overhauled and used a three-bladed Catto…a fast, trouble free bird for 7 years and as many hours…a great combination.

Regards,
Building RV-12, Wings, fuse, emp complete. FWF in progress.
Old 07-04-2021, 04:20 PM

Hi Glenn,

With the M1B and a Catto propeller you may want to look at using the slightly longer O-320 engine mount instead of the O-360 to avoid having to use the ballast weight. The RV-7 has a tendency to be tail heavy with your combination (the M1B is about 30lb lighter than the O-360 angle valve engine the mount was intended for), limiting your baggage weight. There are a few threads on the forum covering this. These aircraft fly so much better when they are light, so avoiding dead weight is well worthwhile.

Tom
RV-7

Last edited by tgmillso : 07-06-2021 at 01:16 AM.
Old 07-05-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre smith View Post
As a 46 year ag pilot, I concur…simplicity.

Our 6A had a 180 hp Lyc, which we overhauled and used a three-bladed Catto…a fast, trouble free bird for 7 years and as many hours…a great combination.

Regards,
Cheers....thanks Pierre. I guess it’s horses for courses....the csu is a wonderful bit of kit but like yourself I want to keep it plain and simple and just enjoy the fly....thanks for the back up. Cheers Glenn.
Old 07-05-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmillso View Post
Hi Glenn,

With the M1B and a Catto propeller you may want to look at using the slightly longer O-320 engine mount instead of the O-360 to avoid having to use the ballast weight. The RV-7 has a tendency to be tail heavy with your combination (the M1B is about 30lb lighter than the O-360 parallel valve engine the mount was intended for), limiting your baggage weight. There are a few threads on the forum covering this. These aircraft fly so much better when they are light, so avoiding dead weight is well worthwhile.

Tom
RV-7
Hi Tom thanks. I’m guessing you mean the M1B being lighter because it’s a parallel valve rather than the angle valve. Is there a requirement to change the cowl if I use the 1O-320 engine mount in this situation? I’d avoid ballast if I could....cheers Glenn.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:35 PM

Kia ora mate from Arizona, and best wishes on your RV-7 build. You're going to love the airplane!
=VAF= donor 2022