- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:56 AM

Default Hot weather and flying

Rather than hijack Bob's thread, here's a second one for the alternative extreme.

What's the hottest temperature you'll fly in?

Last weekend I taunted some friends who fly shark patrol by waving an ice-cold bottle of water at them from the other side of the security fence as they stumbled out of a sweat-soaked Cessna 172 at 40 deg C (about 105 deg F)

I'm not a huge fan of flying when it's hot. I've observed the CHTs nudging 400F on climbout from sea level on a 36 deg C day (about 95 deg F). Easily fixed by dropping the nose a bit to increase the climb speed, or perhaps by levelling out and flying at full rich cruise power for a few minutes to let the temp come back down before resuming the climb. By the time I get above 5000' the combination of manifold pressure and adiabatic cooling basically solves the problem.

But I don't like having to solve it.

Besides that, being in a bubble canopy when it's that hot is pretty miserable at the best of times. Even when I'm up where it's cool and high, I know you'll have to get hot and low again eventually.

I'm not alone in feeling like this, right?

- mark
Old 12-26-2012, 08:51 AM

Mark, do you not have a Koger sunshade?

Here in Georgia it also pushes 100? and that shade is a real blessing.

Best,
Building RV-12, Wings, fuse, emp complete. FWF in progress.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:02 AM
VAF Moderator

I followed Rosie a couple of years ago from Carson City to Las Vegas. We were quite comfortable at 11.5 and when we tuned in the ASOS at Boulder City it reported 115F. I commented that I thought aluminum melted above 100F, I really did not want to go down. After a quick turn we departed Boulder City for southern California and climbed up to 12.5 for cooler air.

I don't remember having cooling problems during the climb. I climb full rich in the heat to help keep things cool.

From Rosie: Living in the desert, (full rich) takeoffs above 110F is normal, and I'm starting out at 2500' MSL (density altitude is >6K). My EI temp gauge alerts me at 430F to start leveling out, and I have NO problem letting the hottest cylinder see 450F for a moment in the level flight. When the highest cylinder temp is below 400F, I'll start an easy climb to altitude and also start leaning the mixture on the way up. My first-run cylinders went to 2500 hours with no complaints.

As for clothing, when it's REALLY hot, I like to wear the Lightweight, Polyester-Tricot Shirts that breath, much more comfortable than cotton

Last edited by Rosie : 08-21-2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Added hotlink to the shirt
Old 08-20-2013, 04:53 PM

Default Too hot in climb

I am starting to fly the 7a higher and was surprised yesterday with CHT issues in Michigan in a climb from 5k to 11k. it was not that hot (80F on the ground) but I was only able to get 300fpm or so to keep the CHTs below 425 in the climb! I was leaning all the way up. I noticed this post, do others use full rich mixture in extended climbs? Its a Matituck O360 with CS hartzell, WOT and 2500rpm.

had no issues at all with oil temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilik View Post
I followed Rosie a couple of years ago from Carson City to Las Vegas. We were quite comfortable at 11.5 and when we tuned in the ASOS at Boulder City it reported 115F. I commented that I thought aluminum melted above 100F, I really did not want to go down. After a quick turn we departed Boulder City for southern California and climbed up to 12.5 for cooler air.

I don't remember having cooling problems during the climb. I climb full rich in the heat to help keep things cool.
Contribution in for 2017, money well spent
Old 08-20-2013, 05:10 PM

Left Parker AZ one afternoon last month and the OAT on taxi was 121F.

Not comfortable at all. It was still in the mid 80's at 9,500.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C
Old 08-20-2013, 05:16 PM

Default Temperature

Five summers of full time flying along the Colorado, mostly out of Lake Havasu City. Record high in Havasu is 128. The airplanes were parked outside and I figure the temp inside the airplane had to be 150 with outside temps in the mid 120's.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:39 PM

Flying in hot wx makes me think about this years Oshkosh. Cool wx and no flying incidents as far as I know of. Fly hot and stay hydrated. I always carry some h2o in the plane. I like those glass containers from the lemonade drink. There is always at least one full stashed along side the seat.
Stuart, Fl / East Hampton,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI - villa sold.
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
addicted pickle ball player
https://i.postimg.cc/tn3h4svg/IMG-3101.jpg
Old 08-20-2013, 09:01 PM

Default Bumps!

The worst part about flying in hot weather down here is the bumps. Pretty much guaranteed to take a beating down low. It really makes me think twice about taking passengers after 11 am or so.

David
Old 08-20-2013, 10:51 PM

Hi Mark,

Anne-Marie (my wife) and I had 57C in the cockpit flying towards Wilcannia (follow the link below to see where it is in Google maps), this was on the way to Broken Hill, I'm really not sure how accurate our cabin digital thermometer was, but OAT was 42C, and that was at 5500ft two years ago in early November.

Anne-Marie asked me to land at Wilcannia so that we could get some shade because she was starting to feel really heat stressed and that was with a sunshade fitted to the canopy.

Luckily there was a shelter at the airport and we had a couple of camel packs full of water with us that we poured over each other to cool down.

30 minutes later we where both feeling good enough to do the reminder of the flight into Broken Hill where we met some friends who collected us in an air-conditioned Holden Commodore, it never felt so good to get out of the heat before in all my life.

When we got to where we where staying we both jumped into the pool which believe it or not, felt freezing cold at 26C

My CHTs where 40F hotter than normal, but never exceeded 400F on climb out.

If you look at the map, zoom in, and you'll see the airport is 4km North of the town, we took shelter in the building south of the main runway.

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?oe=u...&ved=0CLcBELYD

Cheers
RV-7 Phase 2, 30 Oct 2012
1100 hrs Feb 2020

Last edited by eddieseve : 08-20-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:57 AM

I used to fly my old Cherokee 140 in 110+ Texas summer heat all the time when I first bought it. Yes, it was uncomfortable, but I learned a lot about density altitude and flying an underpowered aircraft is such conditions too. I think the hottest I ever flew it in was 118 degrees at the surface. Arrived at my home airport at +6500AGL and circling down over the airport to pattern altitude was like descending into a blast furnace. Nobody else was dumb enough to be out flying that day

The hottest I've ever flown an RV was 114 at the surface, and that was the OAT here in W.Falls when coming home from Oshkosh a couple years ago. It was miserable, hot and bumpy, but still made a nice smooth wheel landing.

I don't like to intentionally go on a "pleasure flight" in an RV if the temps are over 100. Above that, it's just not fun anymore. On hot summer days, we gotta do our pleasure flying early just after sunrise and be back home on the ground by about 10:00am before the thermals get miserable.

Last edited by Neal@F14 : 08-21-2013 at 10:05 AM.