Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:37 AM
been here awhile

Default LODA list

The EAA has pushed out a new page listing instructors by state and aircraft that have obtained a LODA (Letter of Deviation Authority):

http://www.eaa.org/govt/loda.asp

These instructors are authorized to offer transition training for hire in their aircraft.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:22 AM

Interesting that Mike Seagar isn't on the list. Who owns the LODA? The ac owner or the instructor? Since he uses some of the factory's ac, are there different rules?
Old 12-09-2012, 11:30 AM

The LODA is "owned" by the aircraft owner, since it is a waiver of the rule not allowing E-AB aircraft to be used for compensation or hire.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:39 AM

Smile NTSB

The list is apparently in response to the request at the end of the third paragraph here...

http://www.aopa.org/training/article...fety-recs.html
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 12-10-2012, 07:53 AM

Default LODA List

The name of the individual on the LODA issued is for the "Responsible Person", or in plain language, the person who says they will ensure the terms specified in the LODA are followed. Keep in mind the LODA allows the AIRPLANE to be compensated for, and not the instructor...the instructor is already allowed to receive compensation for instructing. Thus, the name on the LODA is not necessarily the instructor, though this is typically the case.

As for the reasons certain folks are or are not on the list? "Modern" technology (like computer record keeping in the gov sector...insert laughter) now allows this to be tracked much better. Those whose LODAs were issued via pen and paper, or weren't entered into the system won't show up on the list. It's an initial list. So, if you've got a LODA and you want on the list, send a copy of the paperwork off to EAA or FAA and the folks will make it happen, I'm sure.

Question for those who care...
What would you consider necessary for one to be a "qualified" instructor in RVs (time, certificates,etc.)?
Old 12-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Forum Peruser

The list is not up-to-date. I recognize some folks who no longer own the airplane(s) listed.
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/ADS-B In and Out...and I like it!

?Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard
Old 12-10-2012, 11:33 AM

An LODA (letter of deviation authority) authorizes someone to deviate from the requirements of an aircrafts operating limitations. The LODA stipulates what deviation is allowed.

All of Van's Aircraft's prototype / demonstrators have dual certification in the Experimental - Market Survey / Crew Training categories.

These two categories actually have provisions allowing for customer and employee training. No LODA required.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:18 PM

I'm on the Georgia list and should NOT be. I sold the -6A almost three years ago.

Best
Building RV-12, Wings, fuse, emp complete. FWF in progress.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7boy View Post
The list is not up-to-date. I recognize some folks who no longer own the airplane(s) listed.
I would have to look at my LODA to be sure, but I think LODA owners are supposed to notify the FAA when they are no longer the owner of the airplane or are no longer going to exercise the privileges of the LODA. Mine does not have an expiration date, so the FAA is not going to be aware when I sell the airplane or quit providing the training unless I tell them. My guess is that this rarely gets done when someone sells an airplane or quits providing transition training.

(actually the right hand of the FAA (aircraft registration) will be aware when I sell my airplane, but I doubt if they pass that info on to their left hand (FSDO).)
VAF Paid 1/21/2021

"In '69 I was 21, and I called the road my own"
Jackson Browne

Old 12-10-2012, 03:02 PM

I'm working with Mark (posted above) on EAA's list to keep it current. As we get updated info, it will be updated. I'll have change requests put in tomorrow when I'm back in the office.
920-216-3699
RV-7, 5 yr build, flew it 68 hours, sold it, miss it.