What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inelegant but effective downdraft paint booth

LarryT

Well Known Member
I built a crude but effective downdraft paint booth. It is 4' x 8' x about 6' high at the front. I believe I could probably paint anything except completed wings or fuselage. This may not not impress some of the members of this forum who need/seek/demand more elegant solutions

However, it is an upgrade over my previous paint booth that was made entirely of cardboard and duct tape!

The following criteria were satisfied:

1. It is big enough
2. It was cheap to construct
3. By making the basic dimensions 4' x 8' it didn't take very long to build
4. It was cheap to construct
5. It enables me to paint smaller parts in the winter inside my hangar without getting overspray all over the place.

Oh, and did I say it was cheap - total cost was about $125.

I used 5 sheets of 1/4" (5mm actual) sheets of underlayment underlayment.

One lb. of wood screws.

One box of 100 pop rivets

One dozen Simpson flat nail anchor plates ($0.57 @) - easily formable

One sheet of 1/2" plywood.

5 1" x 2" x 8' firring strips

3 2" x 2" x 8'

Four casters. I hope my photos attach this is the first time that I've ever tried to post photos.

Here is the summary. One assembled this is pretty sturdy and light weight and therefore easy to push around.

1/2" plywood is the bottom.

Attach casters

Attach 1 x 2 firring strips with wood screws. then attach a sheet of underlayment with 2 ft sq. hole cut out in back and framed with 1 x 2 firring strips.

Rip an underlayment sheet 18" x 96" for the front wall.

Cut two sheets 48" on one edge diagonally to about 72" on the other edge.

Use the 2 x 2 for vertical posts. Attach front and sidewalls to firring strips and posts.

Make interior diagonal baffles from underlayment that go from side walls to back wall just outside 2' sq. opening. Attach with Simpson nail anchors, pop rivets and wood screws.

Use the 2 x 2 drops for firring strips at the top edges Attach a 4 x 8 sheet of underlayment for the top using screws, Simpson anchor plates and rivets.

Support top front edge with a 1 x 2 so it doesn't sag.

Tape a furnace filter over the back wall opening.

Make a cardboard duct that attaches to the backside frame opening and ends at a box fan.

In keeping with the season, I would suggest that this paint booth could be used as the creche in a 1/4 scale nativity scene.

Larry Tompkns
N544WB RV-6A
W52 Goheen Field
Battle Ground, WA

2060ruv.jpg
[/IMG]

6rlvle.jpg
[/IMG]

1z4ia1u.jpg
[/IMG]

Back