Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Photo/Video URLs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 04:23 PM

Default Thanksgiving trip to Florida

Flew down to Saint Augustine over the Thanksgiving break to stay with my sister in law and family.

My brother and I flew the -7A (with Brutus!) while my wife flew commercial with her mother. We beat them down to Florida between the drive to and from the airports and security screening. Gotta love that!

My 3 year old niece was making Pumpkin Pie! Her dad was a head chef in a prominent Philadelphia restaurant before they moved to Flroida, so I'm sure she'll be a good cook!

Brutus and his cousin aren't the best of freinds.

It was a great trip! And I had excellent service all the way around. This was my weekend ride!

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 11-27-2012, 04:30 PM

Galaxy Aviation was super friendly. Excellent line service! They told us about an aerobatic box just east of the airport....and it was about to go active!

We didnt eat at the Fly-By Cafe but other VAFers say its good! Breakfast and lunch only I believe.

Taxiing out the tower took good care of us. I was surprised that they knew what an RV was. Towers in NJ aren't that familiar with RVs. They taxiied us out to the self serve pumps (much cheaper AVGAS than Galaxy) and along the way we saw this....

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)

Last edited by tkatc : 11-27-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:42 PM

That's Patty Wagstaff fueling her Extra 300!

She has a Mini like Vlad's! And a decorated hangar wall!

But of course the Mini isn't as nice as Vlad's and the wall can't hold a candle to Bob Axsom's!

Here she is taxiing out.

We were so excited about seeing her we almost missed this RVer! He was taxiing with purpose so we didn't get a chance to meet him.

We had a tailwind both ways on this trip. Odd but I'll take it! Saint Augustine is a nice airport and I believe I'll be visiting from time to time to see that family.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 11-27-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkatc View Post

Are you guys triplets?
Old 11-27-2012, 06:14 PM

Thumbs up

I see you were not joking about Patti and MINI. You could have done more close captures

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:23 PM

Great trip ! I was surprised St Augustine is a non-stop flight. Gotta love these RV's
Old 11-27-2012, 06:43 PM

Default Yum!

Tony.....nice post...met Patty when I was doing a charter flight at Hilton Head.......I'll say....interesting....lady. From what a Very Reliable Source told me...she flies a lead in plane for fire fighting bombers while not on the airshow circuit!

Hope all the turkey and fine food didn't weigh you down and slow you down on the way back!
RV-8 QB Reserved N212KB
ATP
CFI/CFII/MEI

Build Site: http://www.mykitlog.com/skykingbob/

"Nothing worthwhile has ever been accomplished without inspiration, determination, and perspiration!"
Old 11-27-2012, 07:00 PM

Glen, I stopped at Middle Penninsula for cheap gas. I could have gone non-stop but didn't for 2 reasons.

1. The trip down was the 5 year anniversary of my fuel exhaustion debacle.
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=60180
No need to push it.

2. The return trip could have been non-stop too but my tanks would have been right at reserve levels and my airport fuel price is outrageous!

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 11-27-2012, 07:30 PM

Default Looks like a nice weekend!

Just curious.... How well does the pooch fly? I have a cocker that I want her to go with us back and forth to Destin and I'm trying to determine if I need to find her a cage that will fit in the back of a -6 or -7? It looks like you have him strapped into the back somehow? I really like the rental car they gave you for the weekend too....
RV- 8, N297DW, (sold)
RV- 8, Build in progress

VAF 2021 Donation
Old 11-27-2012, 08:33 PM

My pooch flies just fine. Most do but there is only 1 true way to find out. When he sits in the front seat I tether him to the harness with a very short leash. When he was in the back, he was untethered. (don't tell the FAA). And I line the baggage area with a rubber-backed bath mat.

I have 2 concerns when traveling with him like this. I worry about the loud cockpit. I should really invest in doggie ear muffs. The other is the rear of the RV is drafty and much cooler than the front. I gave him my jacket but I fear he was still cold.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)