Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 07:46 PM

Default Service Bulletin 12-11-09 (Main Landing Gear Upgrade)

I decided to start a new thread since there have been several previous threads but none with the new SB in the title. This SB supersedes Notice SB 12-09-26.

Here is what the kit looks like:

The instructions are complete with all installation details and pictures. My SB kit does not include the plans drawings for these areas that were recently published and they are not needed as the SB instructions are complete.

Robert, yes, the bottom wings skins will require trimming to account for the additional thickness of the new doublers.

Tony
Old 11-23-2012, 08:03 PM

Thanks Tony

-Dave
Old 11-23-2012, 08:27 PM

Will the mod affect flying painted planes? Will any areas show new metal so touch up paint is needed?
RV-44 : 4 place helicopter on order.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:11 PM

Default Painted planes question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geico266 View Post
Will the mod affect flying painted planes? Will any areas show new metal so touch up paint is needed?
Larry,
It looks like the doublers will probably slightly show for a ways along the bottom of the wing. It would not be a big issue to me, I don't think I would even touch it up, but that would be an individual thing I suppose.

Of more concern to me than paint is this upgrade will require some careful workmanship. The fuel tank, ELT and it's antenna, and the gear must be removed. A lot of rivets have to be carefully drilled out. Any paint build up around the removed rivets will have to be cleared. There are some new holes to be drilled perpendicular in the channel, etc.

Tony
Old 11-24-2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_T View Post
Larry,
It looks like the doublers will probably slightly show for a ways along the bottom of the wing. It would not be a big issue to me, I don't think I would even touch it up, but that would be an individual thing I suppose.

Of more concern to me than paint is this upgrade will require some careful workmanship. The fuel tank, ELT and it's antenna, and the gear must be removed. A lot of rivets have to be carefully drilled out. Any paint build up around the removed rivets will have to be cleared. There are some new holes to be drilled perpendicular in the channel, etc.

Tony
The rivet removal is actually pretty simple if the instructions are followed. As is any paint build up.
The work done adding the new 1/4" holes to the channel are the highest level of precision required in the whole process, but even that should not cause too much heart burn. The level of precision attainable by an average builder using a hand help drill is an the level of precision being expected (if you are a below average builder maybe find a helper to do those ) The cross brace for the seat backs is a great help in steadying the drill.

There is a small amount of the doubler that shows outside of the wing root footprint. I would estimate it to be less than 3 square inches per side.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:28 AM

I was ready to take my fuselage to the paint shop so I am torn about the decision I have to make. Is this SB mandatory, important or just optional and just intended at addressing those planes that got the wrinkles problem?
As E-LSA is it mandatory to have it done to get the certification from VANs? I guess that as experimental it's mostly the builder's decision for E-AB planes.
What is the delay to get the mod kit?
... and I just riveted the end of channel skins yesterday!

BTW, I could not locate this SB on VANs web site, the last SB is still 12-09-26

Builder's name: Jean-Pierre Bernoux
Sport Pilot
Kit # 120395 N124BX
Flying as of 9/11/2013

Builder's Blog:http://vieilleburette.blogspot.com/
EAA 1114

Last edited by WingedFrog : 11-24-2012 at 06:35 AM. Reason: additional comment
Old 11-24-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedFrog View Post
I was ready to take my fuselage to the paint shop so I am torn about the decision I have to make. Is this SB mandatory, important or just optional and just intended at addressing those planes that got the wrinkles problem?
As E-LSA is it mandatory to have it done to get the certification from VANs? I guess that as experimental it's mostly the builder's decision for E-AB planes.
What is the delay to get the mod kit?
... and I just riveted the end of channel skins yesterday!

BTW, I could not locate this SB on VANs web site, the last SB is still 12-09-26
I can't understand why you would not comply with it? You are in a better position to do it than many others (currently painted and flying 12's). It seems there has been plenty of chatter about the mod on this forum as Van's has made no secret that it was coming. If for no other reason, think of the resale of your -12. Who wants to buy an airplane that has outstanding SB's, SD's, AD's, etc? This sort of thing tells a story at purchase time. Additionally, what would an insurance companies position be at claim time?
I think there are many of us that aren't thrilled about performing the mod and may never need it, but who knows? It can't hurt anything.
Don't mean to bust bulls here and please don't take it that way. I just can't find any viable reasons not to do it.....and I have tried!
N588DF RV12 #336 built, sold and alive and well in New York
N73DF RV12 #244 built, sold and alive and well in Florida
N91 RV RV9 I wish I could say I built this one! Mark Santoleri hit the ball out of the park on this gem.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:44 AM

Default Expense?

Tony, Scott
What does this kit cost? Thanks.

Pete
Old 11-24-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterk View Post
Tony, Scott
What does this kit cost? Thanks.

Pete
The kit was furnished at no cost. Also, I have not been in contact with Van's and have just been waiting my turn. I am an early builder and I live close enough to the factory that stuff FedEx'ed to me arrives in a day. That may account for why I have it already.

Tony
Old 11-24-2012, 08:12 AM

Tony, thanks for posting. You are SO correct in that all the recent -12 gear threads have indeed become a bit confusing when it comes to the final fix from Vans. I'm just very happy the factory got this issue resolved for us!

RV-12 Built / Sold / Flying
Currently Flying: Cessna Skylane 182
* Hoping Vans decides to offer a bush plane, before I order something else! **EDIT**: got tired of waiting, and bought a '46 J3 Cub!