Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:42 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Default I Busted It?.

In the nanosecond between when my mind realized what my fingers were about to do and when the muscles contracted, there wasn?t time to put out a ?Don?t Do it!? order on the neural net?.and the next sound we heard in Mikey?s cockpit was this horrible ?clang?.whirrrr??? Yup ? pilot-induced kickback! It was my leg to fly after a fuel stop on our way to an airpark fly-out, and it was one of those hot starts where it cranked a few blades, fired, then didn?t, so I let off?and just as I was going to try again, it fired again ? and the six-year-old Flyweight didn?t have a chance. After some inappropriate language on my part, I climbed out and went around front to give a tap on the cowling ? and the starter "tapped" back ? it was definitely loose underneath there. It was pretty ugly - but at least it was a clean break!

Fortunately, we had the necessary tools to pull the cowling there on the ramp, and sure enough, we had a free-hanging starter. Also fortunately, Mikey usually starts really well, especially when warm, so we pulled the remains of the starter, taped up the ends of the cable, re-cowled, and hand-propped for the trip to lunch and then home.

Now despite the fact that I have several thousand hours with the Sky-Tec Flyweights without any failures (up until now), the company has done a lot of work in the past decade at improving their products, and our latest Mattituck engine came with their newer NL style starter ? which has a shear pin in the drive. I personally think it is nice to have something that will shear before the housing, and here was a chance to upgrade on the cheap, so I just got off the phone with the folks in Granbury, and they are sending out a new NL in trade for the broken LS that I can ship back (along with a credit card number for the $54 price difference, and my share of the repair bill of course). Mikey should be ready to go in two days, and that only leaves the Valkyrie with her original LS starter ? which is working just great!

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 10-22-2012, 01:36 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Ouch

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 10-22-2012, 01:46 PM

I love the pictures. We all do silly things sometimes . I'm fixin' to post my series of pictures of how one simple ignored chipped tooth in a ring gear can cost $300 (two for the starter and one for a new ring gear).
RV-9A N4822C flying 2200+hrs. / Cedar Park, TX
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
VAF Advertiser
Old 10-22-2012, 02:09 PM

Bummer. I have done the exact same thing and got away with it with no damage. I will try to be disciplined and remove my hand from the switch as soon as she catches. It is just too easy to do this.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:31 PM

Is the real problem here Lycoming's use of only one impulse/retard mag? So as the key goes back to both the non retard mag fires early and causes the kickback? Would having two impulse mags fix this? Or even using independent Mag switches instead of the key switch?
Old 10-22-2012, 02:57 PM

It would be nice is Van's supplied the NL instead of the LS.

I was able to get a good deal to swap my un-used LS for a NL.

The NL does come with extra pins glued to the case, just in case you shear one away from home.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:39 PM

Default Nominal wt. Diff

The weight difference between the Standard and LS is .8 lb. However, the website says ALL are equipped with a Kickback Protection System.

If I have a problem with my LS I'm going to go with the NL. Not worth potential issues.
RV-7 N717EE-Flying (Sold)
RV-7 N717AZ Painted and Complete
2021 Gold Lindy Grand Champion Kit Plane
Old 10-22-2012, 03:48 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Is the real problem here Lycoming's use of only one impulse/retard mag? So as the key goes back to both the non retard mag fires early and causes the kickback? Would having two impulse mags fix this? Or even using independent Mag switches instead of the key switch?
Not sure....might be....this is the only airplane we have with a key switch - our others have separate ignition and start switches.
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 10-22-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
Not sure....might be....this is the only airplane we have with a key switch - our others have separate ignition and start switches.
After replacing a starter for the very same reason (Sky-Tec, no charge), I start mine like a radial, engage starter, count 3 blades, turn on a mag (one impulse, one lightspeed, either one will do the job).

It is working for me so far.
N4IDH

Construction Log
?The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one.?

?Mark Twain
Old 10-22-2012, 07:25 PM

Default OTOH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJay View Post
Bummer. I have done the exact same thing and got away with it with no damage. I will try to be disciplined and remove my hand from the switch as soon as she catches. It is just too easy to do this.
Hmmmm. I thought it was better to keep the key switch in the crank position for a couple of seconds after the engine starts. The theory is: by continuing to crank, the right mag is grounded, and can't fire, which allows the left mag with its delayed spark start the engine. Then when you release the key switch, the right mag kicks in.

If you release the key switch too soon, when the engine RPM is too low, the right mag can fire at 25 degrees BTC and cause kick-back.

Engine Gurus chime in please.
Pete Hunt, [San Diego] VAF #1069
RV-6, RV-6A, T-6G
ATP, CFII, A&P

2021 Donation+, Gladly Sent