Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 04:39 AM

Default First Flight Prep-Lost Engine?

To all that have gone before me, that have more experience and probably more skill, I'd like to ask the VAF family for comments and review on an idea,

The FAA declared N88ZP is airworthy, transition training says I'm RV airworthy. I read and reread AC90-89, studied as many VAF posting as I can find, I've created first flight test card and most importantly I want to bring this father/husband/RV8 home for many more sunrises.

Here is a diagram of my airport, I plan to use runway 13 with no winds. I've estimated I'll be at ~500ft crossing 8R-26L. The question is what would you think of taking a heading of ~160(30deg more westerly) to provide both runways for the worst case engine out scenario? If it happened before 200ft, straight back to 13. If before 500 ft, ~80 deg left turn to 8L. After that the best available straight ahead turf.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:29 AM

Sounds to me you did all you can to be well prepared. If you trust yourself to fly that machine you build and know you did the best you could....
Go for it!!!
Think about the roads below you. Pick a time of day where you can expect the least traffic. Stay close to them and away from the power lines.
Other then that...altitude is your best friend. Get up to gliding distance to a good landing site.
Good luck and many happy landings

RV-8 Sold

Happy people don't necessarily have the best of everything,
But they make the best of everything they have.

German immigrant who's living the American dream!
Old 10-20-2012, 07:56 AM

Hi,
Well, I thought this pic may (or may not) be useful to you. This is a google earth snapshot of my first flight

I have a 200hp IO360 with a constant speed prop. So, this is a climb profile of an inexperienced pilot on a 4000 ft runway. It looks like I am about 500 ft at 3000 ft of runway in this picture... The winds were light (<5)..and straight down the runway. As I recall, I was at circuit height when I was turning crosswind, and rapidly climbing above circuit height on the downwind leg...where I was busy throttling back and going this climbs fast'.....

BTW, This was -my- first flight. Kevin Horton did the first 5 hours, so I knew the airplane could fly.... I was seeing if I could (also transition trained)
Renew 12/21

Last edited by rv6rick : 10-20-2012 at 08:51 AM. Reason: removed expletive
Old 10-20-2012, 08:23 AM

Looking at the pictures you posted, and assuming calm winds, I might be tempted to takeoff on 26L and make a right turn to 310. Then, at pattern altitude, a left turn to a downwind for 8R. I'm not sure if it's practical at your airport, but the geometry seems like it would work.

As others have said, be prepared for the climb rate. I have a 180HP, constant speed, RV-8A. I have to worry about blowing through the floor of class C by the departure end of a 5000' runway runway (cool day solo).

Paige
Old 10-20-2012, 08:39 AM

Default CONGRATS!

Bud - CONGRATS in being signed off!

If you want a chase ship or a review of your test plan and procedures let me know I'd be happy to fly over and help.

Regards,

Ken

PS You have my email
Old 10-20-2012, 10:01 AM

Default Another idea

It is an interesting choice to turn 30 degrees westerly from runway 13. I would think you would turn 60 degree easterly and then be on downwind for the other runway. I think you might want to take a spam can up to 3000 feet over the end of runway 13 and pull the power back to idle and see what the various options look like in real life. Being high over the end of the runway gives you plenty of time, but makes for interesting choices in an emergency since you are heading away from the airport.
he travels the fastest who travels alone-Kipling
Old 10-20-2012, 10:17 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Congrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuds2 View Post
The FAA declared N88ZP is airworthy, transition training says I'm RV airworthy.
Congratulations on the dual airworthy endorsments

Your plan seems to be fine, at least from the perspective of someone a on the other side of the country, who has never been to your airport.

I would suggest you run the idea past the oldest CFI you can find that flys out of there.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 10-20-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny stick View Post
It is an interesting choice to turn 30 degrees westerly from runway 13. I would think you would turn 60 degree easterly and then be on downwind for the other runway. I think you might want to take a spam can up to 3000 feet over the end of runway 13 and pull the power back to idle and see what the various options look like in real life. Being high over the end of the runway gives you plenty of time, but makes for interesting choices in an emergency since you are heading away from the airport.
In real life, the RV will drop like a rock if you compare it to a Warrior. If you are at 1000ft. AGL, you will be on the ground in just over a minute. If you make it to 3000ft, you have many options at that airport, and your chance of success is good.
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2020 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 10-20-2012, 02:39 PM

Bud, I did the first flight on my 8 couple of year ago. take a look to my video, I've a Catto 3 blades with 2100 rpm @ take-off and a runway with 3000 ft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eZOeyudUWs&feature=plcp

this is my test flight airport : http://www.rv8.it/vansairforce/rv8loop.jpg

I think, regarding your questions, that you're totally right mind focused about your goal : a safety first flight.

So, if you feel confident with your airplane + your skill and you FEEL ready : go for it. You've plenty of options B scenario in your airport.

If not, don't esitate, let somebody else do this for you BUT this person MUST be a confident RV pilot with proved experience in test work.

my 2c
http://www.rv8.it

CrewRV8 team leader

https://youtu.be/VhAkhuqZMQA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he9AFHRO1OY

=VAF= 2021
Old 10-20-2012, 04:23 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Hi Bud,

What a great post - there are a lot of folks that don't do this kind of planning before a first flight, and simply depend on fate to make it work out. The good news is, most of the time, it works out.

Your plan looks reasonably good to me - with an airport that size, and numerous runway options, you should be able to put the airplane down on a prepared surface from just about any reasonable point of failure.

The nest best thing you can do to make SURE that your first flight is as boring as possible ....go find a buddy with an RV and do some engine-out practice - see for sure what the sink rate looks like from a 200' cut, or a 500' cut - see what you can an can't realistically reach. In other words, train for the first flight - not just for flying an RV. Practice the first flight profile, call out your landing options as you hit each altitude mark, and make it familiar.

Have a great time - your thought process in advance will serve you well.

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com