What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sky-Tec starter intermitten problem

Bubblehead

Well Known Member
I just took a great trip from Fort Worth to Yuma and back, with fuel stops in Lordsburg, NM KLSB westbound and Fabens Airport E35 near El Paso eastbound. BTW, people at both airports were very nice but Lordsburg was exceptions. Free soda or water and candy bars, use of the crew car and even a little help troubleshooting.

Both times when I stopped for fuel the starter would not turn over or even engage the flywheel after refueling. At Lordsburgh I pulled the prop through, checked battery voltage (12.4) and then pulled the cowl to check connections to solenoid and starter. Everything was tight. The Sky-Tec troubleshooting manual says check voltage at the starter when in failure mode so with the tail tied down the FBO operator (and A&P) held the volt meter and I got in the cockpit to turn the key. This time the starter engaged and I turned it off quickly.

With everyone out of the way I tried it a couple of more times and it worked each time so I buttoned up the cowl and continued to Yuma.

After a day in Yuma the starter worked normally, but at Fabens the starter failed to move. I went to lunch, came back, and the starter worked first time. Apparently it is a temperature related issue where after two hour flights with the CHTS between 370 and 390 the starter gets hot enough that it does not run, but given a little time (even in 100 degree F El Paso) it cools down enough to work.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know what is behind it? The starter has at least 400 hours on it, and probably at least 710 (hours N247TD has flown with 4 owners). Perhaps it is time for an overhaul.

Thankfully I haven't had any problems with the NL starter on the RV....but only have 50+ hours so far.

My only other experience with the Sky-Tec starters was on our company T206 (sold a while back). I replaced 3 starters (LS series I think) in 200 hours on that airplane! :(

Might just be time for a new starter....?

I have to agree with post #2....take the cowl off and make yourself a big "U" of heavy copy wire and jump aroudn the solenoid terminals - there's a good chance it will crnak just fine, in which case you need a $21 starter solenoid that can be changed in half an hour....

If not, well, then call Sky Tec!

I just read the thread suggested by krw5927 on Paul's solenoid issues and that seems like the same problem as what I am experiencing. When I turn the switch I get a click out of the solenoid on the firewall but the starter does not turn. The solenoid on the firewall only has about 200 hours on it so is not that old, but will order another from B&C today.

The builder originally wired the plane using the solenoid on the starter to control the starter but I would occasionally pop the circuit breaker on the wire to it so changed to the firewall mounted solenoid. Seems like either way you wire it up there can be problems.

I will do the jumper test but since it is an intermittent problem the test might not be conclusive.

i had an intermittent problem at my breaker which ran the power via the key switch to the starter. also other intermittent problems with the other breaker connections. corrosion x helped the problems. check your incoming 12 volt to the solenoid before replacing stuff. good luck. :)

I had the same problem, the short wire that goes from solonoid to starter was broke at terminal behind plastic sleeve. Would work sometimes then not others. Found it by chance. Also had sktech rebuild it at about 500 hrs, they said it needed it. Has worked fine since. Call me if you need futher clarification 541-892-5854 mike

my experience

I had similar issue last year in my RV7a. I first replaced the solenoid because it was easy to replace and I did have 900 hours on the RV. I still had the same problem. So I followed Skytecs trouble shooting chart and found the issue was my battery. Replaced the battery and no more issue.

Starter

John:

Had the same problem as "all the above". I went through two solonoids, one battery, and one complete starter rebuild by the factory.

Later, after I installed the rebuilt starter, I discovered another problem that may have intermittently contributed to the whole mess; my pushbutton starter button. It had eroded away until it would only make contact occasionally. Finally ended up almost totally inop.

It was a pushbutton switch advertised as a starter switch. It's possible that the protective diode was faulty which allowed the erosion. The problems started at about the 200 hr. mark.

BTW, I now have the NL starter

Back