VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.


Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-17-2012, 07:08 PM
dpansier's Avatar
dpansier dpansier is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Green Bay, WI (GRB)
Posts: 548
Default Delta Pop UAT antenna with Garmin GDL-39

I recently received these screen shots from a Dallas area customer that installed a Delta Pop UAT antenna on the lower fuselage feeding a Garmin GDL-39 receiver.

Prior to installing the Delta Pop UAT antenna, the GDL-39 with the stubby antenna was positioned on the glare-shield allowing reception from 1 and sometimes 2 ground stations.

With the external Delta Pop antenna the ground station count went as high as nine all with excellent signal quality.

Needless to say he was very happy with the results.





__________________
Don Pansier
Green Bay, WI (GRB)
RV-7 N450DP
W9LYX

Antennas for Experimental Aircraft
www.deltapopaviation.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-18-2012, 08:02 AM
Walt's Avatar
Walt Walt is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dallas/Ft Worth, TX
Posts: 6,344
Default

I'm getting close to pulling the plug on XM and installing a GDL-39, it will definately have one of your antenna's on it!
__________________
Walt Aronow, DFW, TX (52F)

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 2000+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154

Last edited by Walt : 09-18-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-18-2012, 08:09 AM
RV7Ron's Avatar
RV7Ron RV7Ron is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 590
Default

Ah, thats nice to see and read...I have this same configuration, although not flying yet. All of my antenna's have been purchased from Don, you wont find a better product for a lower price with excellent customer service.
__________________
Ron Duren
Mechanical Engineer
"SportAir PhD"-RV Assembly/Composites/Electrical
Denver, CO (KBJC)
RV-7 'Tip Up'
Flying!! as of 3/16/14
IO-375/WW 200G-CS/SkyView/Dual P-mags
N531R "Wablosa" Wings of Red
http://www.ronsrv7project.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-18-2012, 08:42 AM
uk_figs's Avatar
uk_figs uk_figs is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 1,185
Default Questions

Interesting screen shots, I have the GDL39 on the dash and in the Tulsa area on my first test currently get no ground stations. I assume if you remote the unit you will also have to use an external GPS antennae as well as the UAT antenna.
Also I did not appreciate that you can update the GDL39 over bluetooth from the iPad, in my case the 39 is hardwired to the 796 which updates the GDL39 automatically. I wonder if it matters if a later version of Garmin Pilot updates the GDL39 to a rev level different to the code embedded in the 796 as these seem to be on different release cycles.
__________________
Dave (Figs) (RV-7 N256F, Flying)
Dave's RV-7 Blog
Email me
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-18-2012, 01:16 PM
dpansier's Avatar
dpansier dpansier is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Green Bay, WI (GRB)
Posts: 548
Default

Question for the Garmin experts:

The Garmin GDL-39 manual states the following information for mounting an external ADS-B antenna in bold below.

Unless I missed it in the manual, would you please clarify the minimum distance required from the Transponder antenna to the external ADS-B antenna.



"3.3 GDL 39 Location and Mounting
3.3.1 Location
For best reception position the GDL 39 where it has a clear view of the sky. If the unit is placed on the glare shield it may get very hot due to the direct sunlight and reduce the operating life of the unit. The GDL 39 antenna, internal or external, should be mounted at least 3.3 feet (1 meter) away from the path of any radar beam or a VHF radio antenna. The GDL 39 should be mounted at least 6 inches (10.24 cm) away from a magnetic compass. If using an external ADS-B antenna, it is recommended to locate the antenna on the bottom of the aircraft for best ground station reception."

Thank you
__________________
Don Pansier
Green Bay, WI (GRB)
RV-7 N450DP
W9LYX

Antennas for Experimental Aircraft
www.deltapopaviation.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-18-2012, 07:32 PM
mcattell mcattell is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North Plains, OR
Posts: 240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_figs View Post
Interesting screen shots, I have the GDL39 on the dash and in the Tulsa area on my first test currently get no ground stations. I assume if you remote the unit you will also have to use an external GPS antennae as well as the UAT antenna.
Also I did not appreciate that you can update the GDL39 over bluetooth from the iPad, in my case the 39 is hardwired to the 796 which updates the GDL39 automatically. I wonder if it matters if a later version of Garmin Pilot updates the GDL39 to a rev level different to the code embedded in the 796 as these seem to be on different release cycles.
Yes, you will have to have an external GPS antenna if you locate GDL under your dash where you can't get reception. I think the little Garmin GPS antenna I got and put on the glareshield was about $29 which works great. It's probably the same antenna that came with your 796. No need for external mounted GPS antenna.

I have my GDL connected to a 696. I also connect to it with my iPhone using the Garmin Pilot software. When I connect to it with the iPhone the iPhone will automatically download any updates using the cell network and install them automatically. Very cool. It was no fun in the past pulling stuff out of the airplane and taking home to update.
__________________
Mark - North Plains, OR (Homebase KHIO)
Flying RV-9A N962MC
EAA Tech Advisor - Ham AI7MC
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-18-2012, 07:37 PM
jetdriven jetdriven is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston tx
Posts: 124
Default

We recently took a trip from Houston to Sedona and went south of White Sands out and north of it on the return leg. At all times we had a <5 minute update time and never once lost data reception. It was typically <2 minutes. Our 39 is sitting on the glareshield of a Mooney 201. It truly is an awesome unit.

All through texas it continuously has 5 stations in contact above 1500 AGL.
__________________
Byron
1977 Mooney 201
Houston, TX
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-18-2012, 07:46 PM
g3xpert's Avatar
g3xpert g3xpert is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 3,096
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpansier View Post
Question for the Garmin experts:

The Garmin GDL-39 manual states the following information for mounting an external ADS-B antenna in bold below.

Unless I missed it in the manual, would you please clarify the minimum distance required from the Transponder antenna to the external ADS-B antenna.



"3.3 GDL 39 Location and Mounting
3.3.1 Location
For best reception position the GDL 39 where it has a clear view of the sky. If the unit is placed on the glare shield it may get very hot due to the direct sunlight and reduce the operating life of the unit. The GDL 39 antenna, internal or external, should be mounted at least 3.3 feet (1 meter) away from the path of any radar beam or a VHF radio antenna. The GDL 39 should be mounted at least 6 inches (10.24 cm) away from a magnetic compass. If using an external ADS-B antenna, it is recommended to locate the antenna on the bottom of the aircraft for best ground station reception."

Thank you
Mr. Pansier,

The minimum antenna separation distance for a transponder antenna is similar. 3 feet minimum with 5 feet recommended.

Steve
__________________
Garmin G3X Support
g3xpert@garmin.com
1-866-854-8433 - 7 to 7 Central Time M to F
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-18-2012, 07:48 PM
dwschaefer's Avatar
dwschaefer dwschaefer is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 69
Default

I just completed the same install. Used the DeltaPop antenna on the bottom of my RV-6A and used a Garmin 'inside' antenna puck on top of the dash. Works great and let me bury the GDL-39 so it didn't sit on the panel (doesn't look that good and the stick antenna is a bit tall!).

This is my second DeltaPop antenna, I can't say enough about them!

Regards,

DWS
RV6-A N142DS
www.n142ds.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-18-2012, 09:21 PM
dpansier's Avatar
dpansier dpansier is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Green Bay, WI (GRB)
Posts: 548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
Mr. Pansier,

The minimum antenna separation distance for a transponder antenna is similar. 3 feet minimum with 5 feet recommended.

Steve
Thanks Steve for the clarification on the min distance.

Thanks guys for the compliments on the antennas.
__________________
Don Pansier
Green Bay, WI (GRB)
RV-7 N450DP
W9LYX

Antennas for Experimental Aircraft
www.deltapopaviation.com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:01 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.