- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:00 PM

Default A public thank you

Over the years I've been a member hear I've seen a lot of posts about the generosity of the RV community and what a great bunch of people they are. I've experienced myself a few times, too. Last week though Vlad stopped for a visit on his way to Triple Tree and Tennessee. He arrived early enough so I could add to my RV-9A time as I slowly finish my plane. We had tried flying together back in April but the weather cut our efforts short. Vlad, being the kind of person this board likes to talk about, wanted to come back and let me really fly his plane and see if he couldn't encourage me to finish my plane.

Normally you'd think 30 minutes or an hour would be generous. Vlad's comment was, lets use all the fuel in the tanks (with reserves, of course). We departed KOFP (just north of Richmond, VA), he gave me the controls and explored Lake Anna for a bit when I asked him if he remembered Bob Martin from this board. I told him Bob was based nearby so he let me do a low pass at Louisa and I was able to see Bob's hanger was open and just seconds later Bob was greeting us on the radio. Vlad let me actually land the plane, which revealed both generosity and trust.

After chatting with Bob and his friends for 20 minutes, Vlad talked Bob into going flying with us (and no, it wasn't a difficult task - Bob just needed an excuse). So we headed west, crossed the Blue Ridge, navigated between the Blue Ridge and the Massanutten mountains for a bit. The photo below was taken by Bob of Vlad and I as we were passing south of Charlottesville. After we crossed the Blue Ridge we'd planned to go further north but the weather was changing and clouds were just starting to obscure our way back over the mountains. So we turned east with Bob pointing out sights for us. Bob turned south for Louisa and Vlad and I kept heading east before eventually turning generally south for a touch and go at Blackstone (BKT). I work at the community college there and thought it would be fun to do a T&G with a Ruskie friend on a joint use (military-civilian) airport. My second RV landing.

We'd been dodging clouds most of the afternoon and Vlad suggested climbing to 4,500' to get over the clouds, and RIC's air space. The fuel gauges were showing that we needed to make a stop so we went off to KXSA, my home base, for "cheaper" fuel. It was time to learn more about the 9A - on my first approach I didn't slow down enough and we'd have landed mid field unless I did a slip. I chose to do a go around (more flying time and more time to learn to do it right). So this time I flew the last bit of down wind and base at 70 kts and final at 60 kts and made a respectable landing.

We filled the tanks and headed back to KOFP (Hanover) at near gross weight. Vlad was sure there'd be another go around as the 9A handles differently at gross weight vs empty tanks. It wasn't my inclination to do a go around - I wanted to show my gratitude for Vlad's great instruction on how to handle the 9. The plane was easy to stabilize at 60 kts on final and I swear the plane felt like it landed itself.

All told Vlad gave me 3.2 hours of RV time and 4 landings and lots of great advice on how to fly. Priceless.

Thanks Vlad!

RV-9A 702DA (reserved) Finish Kit IOX-340
www.propjock.com

Last edited by Don : 09-10-2012 at 12:04 PM. Reason: try and get photo to show!
Old 09-10-2012, 12:34 PM

WOW! Hey Vlad, Want to come to Michigan

In all honesty, what a gentleman. The true RV spirit.

(Not to hijack this thread but does anyone else think it about time for Vald to paint that thing? Should we start a design contest )

Unfortunately in science, what you believe is irrelevant.

2021 donation made, exempt but worth every dime!
Old 09-10-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
WOW! Hey Vlad, Want to come to Michigan

In all honesty, what a gentleman. The true RV spirit.

(Not to hijack this thread but does anyone else think it about time for Vald to paint that thing? Should we start a design contest )
... or maybe pass the VAF cap around for donations?
Old 09-10-2012, 01:12 PM

I have to thank Vlad myself also as he stopped by my part of the world on his way back home. We spent 1.5 hours yesterday flying to/from lunch and had a great conversation.

As with yourself he handed me the controls and said its "your" plane before we ever took off. Being new to the RV world, I feel very fortunate to have had that chance.

I have thanked him in private a few times but he deserves a much deserved public thanks also.

I did figure out how to keep a Russian from drinking alcholol, we had lunch in a dry county.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgmwa View Post
... or maybe pass the VAF cap around for donations?
I know Vlad well enough to say with certainty he'd just spend it on fuel.
RV-9A 702DA (reserved) Finish Kit IOX-340
www.propjock.com
Old 09-10-2012, 02:43 PM

Yes, Vlad is a class act.

I think Van needs to come out with a new series of airplanes - the "P" series. The parts come pre-painted white with white rivets and you just add decals
Old 09-10-2012, 04:14 PM

Don you are skilled flyer and my older cousin. I am not sure who benefited more you or I? I had a blast. In professional aviation they call it to pay forward. Speed up the finishing of your project or activate Plan B I developed for you

Jeff thanks for bringing me to the Rough River State Park. Nice place, cool Bible Belt restaurant I'll be back.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:40 PM

Default Vlad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post

Jeff thanks for bringing me to the Rough River State Park. Nice place, cool Bible Belt restaurant I'll be back.
"Opiate For the masses" Vlad, remember?. See you in FLorida soon???
"Bucket List" checkoff in progress!
Old 09-11-2012, 06:53 AM

Default VLAD

Don,
WOW.......that picture looks good. Seems you cropped it too...
You and Vlad dropping in to visit was the perfect ending to an aready good day at the airport and a good break from working on planes to flying RV's! It was good to meet Vlad again on my home turf as I didn't get to see him much at the Suffolk Fly-in. I logged 1 hour on the hobbs meter on our local sight seeing flight and slipping between the puffy clouds and the low mountain tops really gave Vlad a great view of the Virginia landscape. Now I see now why the KGB requested the photo's from the flight!! Looking forward to a return visit.
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB
Old 09-11-2012, 08:04 AM

Default Vlad - is the man!!

Vlad sure is a class act - one way to pay him back is to finish that -9 and start inspiring others to finish and fly their airplanes!! Great write up - very inspiring.... Hey Vlad, when are you coming to Texas?

snip...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Over the years I've been a member hear I've seen a lot of posts about the generosity of the RV community and what a great bunch of people they are. I've experienced myself a few times, too. Last week though Vlad stopped for a visit on his way to Triple Tree and Tennessee. He arrived early enough so I could add to my RV-9A time as I slowly finish my plane. We had tried flying together back in April but the weather cut our efforts short. Vlad, being the kind of person this board likes to talk about, wanted to come back and let me really fly his plane and see if he couldn't encourage me to finish my plane....

www.mykitlog.com/izzybear
VAF Dues gladly paid up till December 2021

"The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only stare skyward and wish." - Unknown