I just had the second condition inspection on my RV-8. Not being the builder, I have an exceptional A&P who lets me help. It's very much a teach/learning opportunity.
We found a few things that I didn't expect (but probably should have) ...
Engine continues to run well, with the timing lock solid since last year. However the fine wire plugs were starting to look thin as the tips. The plugs were used when they went in so I have no idea how many total hours. I installed a new set of REM40E plugs (not fine wire) so they went in.
The oil change with Shell 100W Plus, Tempest filter, and replaced the crush washer on the sump screen. Cutting open the oil filter revieled a continued improvement - less material and very few and very small non-ferrous particles.
The tires were more worn than expected. I need to add "get down on hands and knees to look at tire tread" as part of my pre-flight. The tread was still safe but it warranted flipping the tires on the rims as well as planning to ordering new tires and tubes.
One set of brake liners were worn enough that they probably would not make it another year. Replaced all four liners. Learned how to use the Blake rivet press tool. Also learned how easy it is to get distracted and insert one set of rivets reversed and have to drill them out
The new Shoria (reduculously light weight) battery is working fine. Seems to perform as a direct swap for the old battery at a 13lb savings.
The K&N air filter needed a thorough cleaning and re-charge. It took two cleanings. This is probably attributed to all the dry dusty grass runways this year.
Disassembled the fuel caps. There was more corrosion than expected. This may have occurred during the paint prep work but not sure. Cleaned all the parts, replaced both the small and larg o-rings on both caps. The o-rings are available from ACS (part numbers 05-02147 and 05-02146)
Bulkhead F-805 was not properly attached on the inbound ends. I looked at the plans and am not sure what should have been done but the A&P and I agreed we'd like something at the F-814C end so we gently lifted the floor skin enough to drill, counter sink, and install #6 screws with friction nuts.
Found one broken nut plate on the underside wing root faring. It was my first experience with a real rivet.
The ELT battery was due. I should have known is but was pleasantly surprised to find the "battery" was just 8 D-size Durracells. The old ones went onto my maglites
That's about it for this year's inspection.
Replacing the tires will be a weekend project when the weather turns cold. I'd like to upsize to 380x150x5 tires (or tyres) but I don't think they will be a direct swap. I'm not thrilled with the idea of glass work and related metal work to my nice new-ly painted wheel pants.