What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Life changing event, ready or not...

XOverZero

Well Known Member
Visited the MotherShip this Tuesday and Wednesday. Flew the plane, caught the grin, placed the order. Was just notified a couple hours ago that the first kit will arrive Monday.

I'm mentally ready, but that's about all. I suppose I could've thought up a thousand excuses for waiting just a little longer, but that line from Pink Floyd's "The Wall" keeps haunting me. You know the one..."if y' don' eat yer meat, y' canna have any pudding."

Special thanks and howdy to Ken and Daryl at Van's... good troops.

Focus on getting this right not on getting it done

It will be done when it is done and it is the only project you should concern yourself with.

Good luck. You have just accomplished the hardest step -- starting.

By the way what are the serial numbers up to?

-Dave

Thanks for the serial number info. 682 really quite amazing.

As for tools. For those prone to carpel tunnel et al, a pneumatic clecoed tool really helps. Scott bright wheel and spindles, and a Cleveland Main Squeez round out the big helpers. Also found that the pneumatic rivet puller that has the actuation lever hinged at the base much easier on the trigger fingers. Yes I am a wimp.

Have fun.

- Dave

Dave, enjoy the build, it's not a hard or complicated project and goes very quickly. If you have some extra funds, consider a pneumatic squeezer. They are extremely fast and require only 1 hand to use.

Enjoy the build

You will enjoy the journey - It has been one of the best things I have done. I just finished my RV12. You will find all of the guys on the forum are very helpful and there is a wealth of knowledge out there. I do recommend getting the videos from http://www.homebuilthelp.com. They will assist with your build. The videos are not to replace Van's instructions, but help understand them. I read the section I was working on then, watched, then read again, then build. I am believed it made my build faster.

Good luck and post as you go to keep us up on your build

I must've read your mind...

You will enjoy the journey I do recommend getting the videos from http://www.homebuilthelp.com.

Good luck and post as you go to keep us up on your build

Thanks David. I've been following your build as well as that of others. I already have those videos, too. They and this amazing web site were pivotal elements in my decision to go with the -12.
Very much looking forward to the journey ahead.

Dave, enjoy the build, it's not a hard or complicated project and goes very quickly. If you have some extra funds, consider a pneumatic squeezer. They are extremely fast and require only 1 hand to use.

Just curious: has anyone built a -12 without a pneumatic rivet puller? I cannot imagine it. The pneumatic squeezer is a bit pricey.

Jerre

Pneumatic squeezer-- YES

AT 70 years old and after 40 years of a desk/computer job (Aero engineer at WPAFB) I simply did not have the physical strength to sand-squeeze #4 rivets. I borrowed a pneumatic from a chapter member and was amazed at how much faster you could do #3 rivets, too. After getting the squeezer set correctly using scrap material, you can make perfect rivets all day long-- but of course you don't have to do that many on the -12. Just seems that way if you're doing them by hand,.

Wayne 120241 (133 hours today).

Surprise misadventure

Emp/tailcone kit showed up today right on schedule. Actually, it was quite a bit ahead of schedule, as I had requested Van?s to hold shipment until mid-Sep to give me some get ready time. Eh?it happens. No biggie.

What WAS a biggie though, was that the shipper ? which herein shall remain nameless ? appears to have used my precious in a loading dock forklift hockey match. When the big white truck with the purple and red logos dispensed my prize, I found one long side of the crate was fairly well stove in, half the top was popped off, only held in place by the steel straps, one end was busted clear across, and one of the bottom skids was torn completely away, gone. Gee, fellas?nice work.

So all my planned opening activities, to be accomplished in a serene and orderly manner at a slightly later date, were flung into the maelstrom and I spent the day in panic mode trying to get a tally on the carnage for the claim to be filed. Did I mention it was 100 degrees in Chino today? Not much joy.

Anti-climax. In spite of all gross indications to the contrary, there was no damage. Zip.

Previously in this thread, Dvalcik mentioned the DVDs showing how to build an RV-12. I have those and have watched them more than once. This is not an endorsement, but in fact one unexpected benefit I gained from them was that as I was checking though the kit for damage, I already knew what parts were what because I?d seen them all before. Familiarity made the task much easier and quicker.

I sure hope Van?s finishes putting their new web site up soon. I?d like to see the faces and know the names of the folks who pack and ship the kits. I give them all the credit for the safe arrival today, despite the outer crate having suffered a withering volley of slings and arrows and forklifts (Oh, MY!). They?ve got good stuff ? heroes. Thank you.

I feel the same about the people that pack the stuff at Vans. My kit had a long ways to travel, and not even one part was scuffed or bent or anything, all due to that superior packing crew.

I feel the same about the people that pack the stuff at Vans. My kit had a long ways to travel, and not even one part was scuffed or bent or anything, all due to that superior packing crew.

I'll second that. My stuff has been shipped half way around the world to Australia, and the way everything is packed into those crates is amazing. The last crate with the engine arrives tomorrow.:D

One of my kit crates was similarly treated by FedEx. Skid missing (knocked off), top askew, side cracked. I was amazed when I found no damage inside!

PARTAIN

Partain ships my kits to me. Placed into his trailer at Vans and comes direct to my house - no intermediate handling by persons who don't care. I wouldn't ship my stuff any other way.

Congratulations John for taking the plunge. I recently went through the same decision process. Got to see the -12 in person at the Arlington Fly-in in July, placed my order and picked up the eppenage kit at Van's on the 10th of August. Got to fly in the -12 while at Van's - it was perfect!! Now for the fun to continue - have just about got through all my initial inventory work and getting the garage and tools setup for the build. The guys here are great and have a great willingness to share with us new builders. Happy building!

Welcome, John H

Nice to have another new builder in the local area. My RV-12 is based at Auburn S50 and I live in Burien. I'd be glad to meet up with you sometime. Since you included your e-mail I will add it to my growing list of NW RV-12ers.

Tony

Dave, one piece of sage advice: if it doesn't fit you are doing it wrong. My RV is my 4th project and I was amazed at how well the kit is designed and manufactured. Every one of the prepunched rivet holes lined up!

Congrats John. I may have to come over and see your project one of these days. I'm up here in Turtle Rock and thinking about starting a build soon.

Do it.

I may have to come over and see your project one of these days.

Allan, I'd be delighted and honored to give you the full briefing, but better hurry. This thing goes together pretty quick. I'm only 24 working hours into it, including prep and prime, and I'm ready to skin the VS.

Point of interest: Next Sat, Sep 22, our EAA Chapter 92 will be hosting a hands-on session for a group of boy scouts (teeners). We're going to supervise them building an RV-12 vertical stab, graciously donated by Van's. It will be held at Yank's Air Museum at Chino airport (KCNO).

PM me.

Dave, one piece of sage advice: if it doesn't fit you are doing it wrong. My RV is my 4th project and I was amazed at how well the kit is designed and manufactured. Every one of the prepunched rivet holes lined up!

OMG I second that. I have a 9 kit that is 12 years old and their holes are spot on. If it doesn't line up, chances are something is in the wrong spot! Now don't get me wrong, the leading edge ribs needed a little persuasion but that's about it.

Back