- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:02 PM

Default A family dilemma (help)

I need some advice. I completed an RV7 last year and my 11 year old has helped with the project since he was 2 years old. He started, at 2 years old, just keeping me company in the shop and 9 years later he was helping attach the wings. He has all the simulator games and loves all things that fly. He has been up with me 6 times now and has gotten queasy every time. A few times he has thrown up. We both feel terrible about this situation. Has anyone else had this happen to them? And what did you end up doing about it? He is the best co-pilot i have ever had. Any advice would be great.

Thanks, Steve
Old 08-23-2012, 06:12 PM

Time... eventually most people adapt, especially kids.

While he is adapting you can help by ensuring you keep him looking outside, maneuver as gently as possible and fly when it is cool and smooth.

Don't fly right after a meal (unless you enjoy cleaning).

Drink plenty of water prior to flying.

Keep him looking outside

did I mention keep him looking outside?
Old 08-23-2012, 06:15 PM

Default Wooziness

>Keep him as cool as possible
>Fly only in smooth air until he acclimates
>Vent fresh air onto him
>Slow down if you encounter turbulence
>Always eat a good non-greasy meal including protein. Dry heaves worse.Do not fly hungry or thirsty.
>Meds??
>Fly prepared with sick sacs, smell good,etc just in case. Relieves anxiety.
>Never criticize or joke about the problem. Encourage him about next time will be better as you get used to flight

Note: there are people who never get over it. Perhaps a Doc can help if that seems to be the case

RV-6A N680V / RV-10QB N353RV
Luscombe 8E N2423K 50+years
Hatz Biplane N2423Z soon to be birthed
Falcon RV Squadron Founder
KFFC Hanger D-30
Peachtree City, Ga
770 310-7169
EAA Technical Counselor #5142
EAA Flight Advisor #486336
ATP/CFI/A&P/DAR
Old 08-23-2012, 06:16 PM

Fly every day with him for a while. Make sure he sits very high so he's not looking inside. Have the vents open and blowing at him. He'll get over it.

Please don't PM me! Email only!

Bob Japundza CFI A&PIA
N9187P PA-24-260B Comanche, flying
N678X F1 Rocket, under const.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:23 PM

A pilot friend was having trouble, feeling queezy, during instrument training. He bought (I think around $70) a device ("Relief Band"?) which looks like a wrist watch, but actually stimulates a wrist nerve with a small electrical current. He swears by it! Apparently doesn't work for everyone, but does work for some.
Aeromedix.com has them:

http://www.aeromedixrx.com/rlp/relet...FWjhQgodBBMAcA

Another thing you might try is to let him fly. I never feel sick when I fly, but if I'm in the right seat I can only take so many spins or lazy eights before I need to call a halt. I think many people are like this: drivers seldom get car sick, but passengers do. Not looking outside (e.g., reading a book) seems to make it worse for many people.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:26 PM

Don't be overly discouraged, this is rather common.
The majority of people can over come this over time. I personally know a couple people that had severe problems but worked through it (though neather of them did it as a child)
A couple of things I would recommend...

Make sure he is seated high enough that he can see well... directly out the front if possible.

Take short flights... head directly back to the airport at his first sensation of feeling bad (it may require some flights just around the pattern, and work up from there).

Try and only fly when it is most likely to be smooth air (early morning, late evening, stable air mass, etc.)

Begin teaching him, and get him flying the airplane as soon as possible (based on his comfort and confidence level). A person is much more tolerant of the sensations produced by maneuvering flight if they are causing them to happen them self. This will help him acclimate to it more quickly.

Most importantly, do not force it. Let him go at his own pace, but I am fairly confident that if he has the airplane bug as bad as you say, he will be able to over come this.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:31 PM

Default Kids motion sickness

Can he see outside? The kids need to be elevated to a point that allows them the same sight line an adult would have sitting in the same seat. This went along way in eliminating issues with my kids.
Working on Fuse
O-360-A1A

1946 Cessna 120
Old 08-23-2012, 06:36 PM

Cut the flight short at the very first hint of motion sickness; don't try to push through it -- you can't. Maybe just flights around the pattern at first. It's not just about looking outside, it's about remaining oriented. For example, he's looking out towards the right wingtip. You roll into a left turn. Once the tip obscures the horizon, he loses awareness of the bank angle. Are we banking further? Climbing? The brain will make a judgement. If this judgement turns out to not agree with reality when the horizon reappears, we become extremely disoriented. It's important to look around enough so that you always have a clear mental map of the plane's attitude. I struggled with the same problem while getting aerobatic training until I got these bits of advice. Good luck.
Rag and tube project well under way

paid =VAF= dues through June 2013

Last edited by szicree : 08-23-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:50 PM

Default Keep him flying

We have lots of students with airsick problems. We fly them as much as possible (in our case every day but you might not have that option).

On the first airsick episode, we really don't do anything except fly them again.
On the second, they get on airsick meds.
If they get sick while on the meds we send them to the bareny chair where they get spun while placing their head in all sorts of different positions.....

I know most of this is not an option for you, my point is though, keep him flying, he will eventually get over it. We use "sortie termination as a last option". Also, lots of people are saying "look outside", but he really needs to be looking at the horizon. Good luck!
Carbon Cub EX2 N852AZ KCHD
EAA Tech Counselor
2017 Bronze Lindy
Old 08-23-2012, 07:13 PM

A buddy of mine in UPT got really airsick fo his first probably 10-14 rides. He did the bareny chair, but what really helped was ginger pills and chewing gum while he flew. Now he always chews gum while flying. He's a F-15E driver at Mountain home now.