Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2012, 05:02 PM

Talking Installing a GRT HXr in an RV-7 (oh, and rewiring most of the airplane...)

So I recently received my GRT HXr from Steinair, and it's time to start thinking about installing it.

First off, here's what she currently looks like:

Vacuum/Electric 6 pack, an ADI Pilot I and an ICOM A210. The wiring is nice and safe for a VFR only airplane, but it's a total rats nest, so most of it has to go.

I'll be installing the HXr and related bits, EIS, engine sensors, new fuse busses, a B&C 8 amp backup alternator, a small brownout battery, a GTX327 transponder and a russian clock like Vlad's (an airplane has to have at least one mechanical dial)

Here's what I've come up so far for a panel design:

It shows an SL30, but that's the model I had, pretend it's an A210. I'll keep using the A210 intercom until messing with radios later (see below).

The 3.125" cutout is for the clock (not correct but close enough for planning, haven't drawn it in CAD yet). The hole under that is for the mag/starter key switch (I've already got it, might as well use it, plus I think the key is a good extra way to make sure the mags are cold, I keep the key in the canopy lock when out of the airplane, nice visual check). The switch next to that will switch the GRT tach drive from Left to Right mag for mag checks.

The switches (left to right) are:
Starting/running:
Master, main alt, fuel pump, avionics bus (will be DPDT to allow for turning the avionics on with and without the brownout battery)

Emergencies/problems:
E-buss feed (from batt), Backup alt field, Autopilot servos off

Lighting:
Strobe, nav, taxi, ldg, interior

Then there are two alt field breakers

I'm putting the EIS on the panel for now just for passenger/co-pilot comfort/use but it would go away if I ever put in a second EFIS screen.

The plan right now will be to fly like that for a while till recovering the bank account and getting used to the GRT stuff, then add an SL30, 430W, 480, 530W or something else to start my instrument training. By/At that point I will have added backup attitude/altitude/airspeed information in the form of either:

The GRT android extender a tablet and probably a second ADAHRS (really likely w/o the second ADAHRS, somewhat less with)
another HXr screen and second ADAHRS (not all that likely)
A Dynon D10A or similar small EFIS (ebay is my friend)

The panel is designed such that the EIS cutout won't interfere with making a bigger cutout to add another HXr or other big screen if the time came wiout making a new panel.

The throttle, mixture, carb heat and flap switch will stay on the usual little subpanel below the main panel, no changes there (except moving the flap switch to between the throttle and mixture)

Headset jacks will go behind the seats somewhere.

Thoughts?

Part two will be ripping the current panel out, re-building some of the subpanel (to move the radios to the center requires filling one hole and making another, and the sub panel wasn't built nearly as nice as the rest of the plane)

Last edited by gtmule : 08-07-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:05 PM

I got the dreaded red X's for pictures...???

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 08-07-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkatc View Post
I got the dreaded red X's for pictures...???
Should work now, lemme know if it doesn't. Work won't let us use Picasa and similar so I had to get creative....
Old 08-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Still not working.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 08-07-2012, 06:11 PM

If you're using the standard GRT EIS there is no need for a switch for the GRT sensors, for mag checks. Just wire both of them up. I think you designate one of them as primary. But the system will automatically use whichever one is working to give you an RPM reading during a mag check.

The HX will have a clock in it, so you don't need another one unless you already have one and want to use it.

I don't see the photos either.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:29 PM

Photos worked for me just now.
Pete Hunt, [San Diego] VAF #1069
RV-6, RV-6A, T-6G
ATP, CFII, A&P

2021 Donation+, Gladly Sent
Old 08-07-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
If you're using the standard GRT EIS there is no need for a switch for the GRT sensors, for mag checks. Just wire both of them up. I think you designate one of them as primary. But the system will automatically use whichever one is working to give you an RPM reading during a mag check.

The HX will have a clock in it, so you don't need another one unless you already have one and want to use it.

I don't see the photos either.
Good to know bout the EIS, I can eliminate that switch. The clock is entirely unnecessary but cool....

Last edited by gtmule : 08-07-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:52 AM

ADS-B out?

People doing panels these days should consider the 2020 requirements.

A 327's cost goes a long way toward paying for a 1090ES enabled transponder.
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Project Sold
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 08-08-2012, 08:47 AM

Hmmm... that graphic looks suspiciously familiar

I shouldn't have looked at this thread, though. Now I am obsessing about that Russian clock. Very cool.

Agree on building in ADS-B capability. I've had my plane flying for less than two months and I'm already wishing I had it. Fortunately I have the GTX327.
1120+ hours as of August 17, 2021.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
Hmmm... that graphic looks suspiciously familiar

I shouldn't have looked at this thread, though. Now I am obsessing about that Russian clock. Very cool.

Agree on building in ADS-B capability. I've had my plane flying for less than two months and I'm already wishing I had it. Fortunately I have the GTX327.
Yeah, I had to fix a lot of rebuild errors in Solidworks!

I live and fly in SUCH dead, empty airspace that I'm not overly concerned about it, and I alreayd have the 327, so doing a 330 (or whatever) would be easy enough when I add an IFR GPS (which is what compliant ADSB out requires at the moment, I think).