What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Home safe from Osh.

rv9aviator

Well Known Member
Made the trip up Saturday morning and came back this morning (Tuseday).
Took my son Scott who is also a pilot and soon to be an RV 4 owner when finances allow. We had a ball together. I have never seen so many RV's in my life. There was also a sea of yellow cubs. Dan Horton was camped just down a few planes from me so I had the pleasure of meeting him for the first time. His RV8 is awesome looking. We could only carry a very small cooler so every time we bought ice we sneaked over and refilled his cooler but he finally caught on.:D we also got to meet Paul and Louise for the first time and see their beautiful planes.we went to the SOS tent for the get together but had to leave shortly after we ate and had a beer. I got way too hot earlier in the day in the 100 degree heat and wasn't feeling to great so my Son and I called it an early night. I did get to say hi to Jay Pratt and Roy Geer before we left. The highlight of the Monday airshow was seeing Team RV do their routine. This morning when we left there was a very long line of rain and thunder showers South of Osh so we flew southeast to Chicago and then found a small break we could get through. From there it was clear sailing all the way home. 4-1/2 hours we were back in Arkansas.

Last edited:
We too.

Jenny and I had to leave on Tuesday as well but the rain forced us to go to Milwaukee where the approach guys were wonderful, helping us around the worst stuff, plus we also have sattelite XM wx.

Going around the east side of Chicago's Class B, we had outrun the worst of the wx and had a big gap between systems at the south end of the big lake and punched through to Louisville, Ky. for fuel...at an average GS of 235 MPH!

RV-10 numbers...858 miles from Y50 (Wautoma) to Milwaukee, to Louisville, Ky. and home...4.2 hours, averaging 203 MPH, INCLUDING climbs to 7,500'.

Best,

Last edited:
Made it home as well

I had to head out on Tue. as well. Jim caught a picture of my 4 which was parked in the next row. I ended up flying way north to get around that storm on my way back to Albuquerque, 8.5 hours or so of flight time. The 4 fly great and really enjoyed meeting a bunch of folks and camping for a few days.
Hope everybody else makes it home safe!

Chris Olsen
N2ZK RV4 @ KAEG

T-storm line passed through first thing this AM (Wed), not bad, just rain enough to get everything wet before it went in the airplane.

After the storm passed it was kinda hazy in Wisconsin. Got fuel in Peru (IL), then non-stopped to Alabama in 3 hours flat. Clear and calm at 11,500. The altitude worked the bad low level headwind around to the right wing. Only got 20 mpg at 200 mph, but I can live with it.

When we got in Saturday the camp hosts gave me an old styrofoam cooler somebody left behind last year. For a few days I was amazed how good it was...the ice just seemed to last forever ;)

Checking in

I made it home Wed too. Left mid-morning after the storms passed. Had a great flight and never saw a cloud from OSH to Columbus, OH.

Had a ball! Met a lot of really great RV'rs and I can't wait till next year!

we got home yesterday also. With the rain delay start and I forgot to cash in my Camping voucher. :(

then we fought headwinds and/or bumps ALL the way home. But we had a blast for the few days we ere there.

Left Wed around 13:00 local

Had a great time. Stopped in northern IL for fuel then 3:10 to the backyard.

Was the first time for my wife Sheila and our second child (Talya) she is only 3mo. 1st baby (Georgiana) was at Camp Grama while we were there.

Was nice to meet all of you!

Left Osh on Thursday morning about 11:30am, before the big storm got there. Good flight back home, but had some 20 kt headwinds for a while. Stopped at K88 for a BBQ brisket sandwich and fuel and got home a little after 5pm. My new (to me) RV-6 performed flawlessly. :p

Back home to.

Made it back to N.S. this morning, via Piper Seneca to Ottawa and commercial the rest of the way home. We got out just as the rain started on Wednesday morning.

Great meeting everyone and it was inspiring to, I started working on the-8 shortly after I got home. :p

Made it home this afternoon. We had a great time at Osh and really enjoyed flying across the country. I'm amazed at what a great cross country machine the RV really is. (first big trip)

Great meeting a lot of you, and thanks again to Brian for the Townsend, MT hospitality. We camped there both directions.

Nice meeting you too, Jeff.

Didn't see you there yesterday, but I was only at the hangar long enough to wash off bugs in the afternoon.

Eagle's Nest One made it home yesterday with a single leg flight to OVO. Jeff Malcomb was the pilot as I had plenty of camping equipment for the nine kids and two adults. I understand the trip went very well. What a great Oshkosh for the group! Youngest builders there, newest airplane (got the AW on the 16th) and an almost trouble free trip (a slight brake fluid leak showed up.) The little 12 is an amazing machine!

Not home - but out of OSH

Have to spend a few days in Minnesota visiting the family before heading south - wouldn't be wise to come this far north and not visit!

Nice departure out of KOSH this morning about 1100 - taxied all the way to the departure end of 36L without delay, and was ready to go when I hit the hold-short. Nice puffy cumulus across Wisconsin with tops about 8K, and it was smooth, cool and dry up there.

Louise should follow in Tsam when they close up the show, and we'll head 'em up for Texas mid-week.

It was GREAT meeting and talking with everyone, and I sincerely apologize to those with whom I might have seemed too hurried - it always seems like my next appointment is all the way across the field.

Paul

splat, back at home field in texas

back from oshkosh, first time. it was great, four days is just enough to make me want to do it again next year. discovered upon arrival in south texas that 95 lbs of STUFF in the baggage compartment of a 9 is enough to over-assist with the flare esp with no pax and tanks are down a couple of hours; so i remind others with RVs stuffed with gear to keep the speed up a bit on final to be sure you have enough elevator authority and airspeed to control/arrest the sink rate. this will help you avoid discovering that when you flare, it may KEEP ON FLARING and splat onto the runway a little sooner than you expected. not harmful from flare altitude, but a bit more surprising and ungraceful than i like. good trip, everyone! don o.

N159SB back home safe in the barn. Averaged 170kts GS on the way home. Made it home in 3.3hrs. 562nm trip. KOSH - KDKB - KDNV - KMOR Ran at 170-172kts TAS all the way.

641c529c.jpg

Had to wait 45-50 minutes early this morning before Jeff showed up to get me out of there but was only a few planes in front of me on 36L.

Blasted up over the stuff out of Osh till I hit the clear cool air. Landed in Danville, Il for a splash of fuel and then back on top and on to KMOR. Flew over scattered to broken stuff all the way home.

d82f22bd.jpg

Fuel flow went crazy on the trip up and crazy on the way back. I have the Red cube and I will have to take it all apart and see what is up. It would read correctly for a few, then drop down and then go way high. EGT remained stable so I know it was a false reading.

Dynon capacitive converter wigged out on the right side as I was leaving Osh. It dropped to zero and a few minutes later would show full. Later it worked for a while then wigged out again. Maybe it got wet during the micro burst storm?

The Garmin GDL-39 worked great all the way home. It provided traffic and weather on the 796. I got full signal at about 1500ft AGL. Lots of the time I had TIS-B up like and all the other I had air to air data. There was a ton of traffic being shown that normally I would never see. The weather looks like it will meet my needs so most likely I will be turning off the XM.

10ptwk7.jpg

Glad to meet everyone I met. I think I am hooked now....will be back next year I hope!

The old friend has to go:

d3d8b14a.jpg

Oh...I lost over 10 lbs this week!

Last edited:
discovered upon arrival in south texas that 95 lbs of STUFF in the baggage compartment of a 9 is enough to over-assist with the flare esp with no pax and tanks are down a couple of hours; so i remind others with RVs stuffed with gear to keep the speed up a bit on final to be sure you have enough elevator authority and airspeed to control/arrest the sink rate. this will help you avoid discovering that when you flare, it may KEEP ON FLARING and splat onto the runway a little sooner than you expected. not harmful from flare altitude, but a bit more surprising and ungraceful than i like. good trip, everyone! don o.

Glad you are home safe. Fuel weight moves the CG fwd since the arm is in front of the CG. Pilot and passengers and baggage in the back move it back since the arm is aft of the CG. Sounds like it is a good thing you did not have a passenger....One must calculate fuel burn in an RV or they could find themselves aft of the limit....

We arrived home by Titan (that would be pickup, not airplane) Saturday night and have spent Sunday doing yard work.

Had a great time meeting new RV'ers and spending time with old friends.

Brian we have to hook up sometime! You were standing right next to me when you took those pictures after the storm.

......Glad to meet everyone I met. I think I am hooked now....will be back next year I hope!.....Oh...I lost over 10 lbs this week!

I wasn't planning on being back next year...but Kris really liked it. I was surprised, she had such a good time(always says airplanes are my thing). She mentioned bringing the grandkids and staying in a ground pounder RV. With all the walking, We both dumped a few pounds also. SO fingers crossed, we'll see you folks next year.

We made it home to Virginia last night. We had planned to stay through Monday morning, but the forecast for Southbend - Chicago area convinced me to leave a day early. We bought tools, attended tons of building forums, and finally put a face to many of the folks I've seen only online. Thanks to everyone who spent time answering our many questions. We're looking forward to driving the first rivet next month!

As always, it's depressing to read the post-Oshkosh posts and see that someone you "know" (from here on VAF) was camped nearby and you never got to meet! I hate when that happens.

It was my first time camping in HBC. I've camped in the North 40 and Camp Scholler for years, but it was nice to wake up in a sea of RVs! Sure would be nice if the EAA would provide facilities as nice as elsewhere on the field.

The storm that blew through on Thursday trashed my new tent. I wasn't alone, either. However, a quick field repair allowed me to stay another couple of nights without incident.

That was #23 for me. Despite my annual grumblings about the EAA and how it is changing, I feel compelled to hang in there a couple more years, just in case they hand out special 25-year attendance pins. :D

Out but not home

After camping in HBC for 9 days we flew out of OSH on Sunday morning for central SD to visit Mom for a few days. Already got 2 items done on my to do list. Had a great visit at Oshkosh and am looking forward to next year.

Early Oshkosh departure

There we were, an RV-8 and RV-7 locked up at Garmin's display. The Garmin people were great, and were fine with us leaving on Sunday morning. The problem was..... the display aircraft normally remain in place until after the air show ends on Sunday at 4:00 pm. Both of us needed to be else where on Monday morning so, we decided to meet at the display area at 05:45 am Sunday morning, and rolled our planes out before the Air Venture fans arrived. We untied our planes that had been fueled and loaded the night before, and simply walked them down the road to show center.

We moved the cones out of the way in front of Fat Albert (C-5A) and paused below the huge engines to take a picture of our tiny RV's below the largest US plane flying. Then it was on past the DC-10 flying eye hospital and other military aircraft in Phillips square, and across the final road to the entry to the taxiway.

We had to roll into the grass to get past the Aero-Shell T-6 Texans that had shutdown in the middle of the taxiway after the Saturday night air show. We started engines as the airport opened at 06:00 am and were among the first aircraft to depart.

What an amazing airplanes these RV-s are. Builder Doll and I landed at (52F) Northwest Regional airport, Roanoake Texas at 11:22 am, 4:48 minutes after pushing the throttle forward on runway 27 at Oshkosh. There was some weather in the Missouri area that caused us to deviate a bit, but the Garmin G3X / Tru Trak GX Pilot did most of the work as we enjoyed some great music on the XM receiver built into the 375.

I can't wait for next year. Thanks to all who came by, and talked to me at the Garmin display. I met so many of you and got to hear about your RV experience. It is truly an community of RVers.

Last edited:
NON STOP FROM OSH

Hi Danny

''landed at (52F) Northwest Regional airport, Roanoake Texas at 11:22 am, 4:48 minutes after pushing the throttle forward on runway 27 at Oshkosh''
----------------------------------
Did you do that Non Stop?? If yes I need an RV-8 or more fuel in my RV-4??

I was short about 30 Min endurance to make it OSH-CYMX (Montreal Mirabel ) non stop with my -4 forcing me to do a letdown in KDRM in Northern Michigan for fuel..

I went to the Garmin tent a few times to see you to get your feedback on your G3X installation but I guess I missed you everytime....That is something I will be looking into for my next panel upgrade or next airplane

Bruno

Actually, the most remarkable thing about Danny's flight is that he made it both ways non-stop ... WITH HIS WIFE IN THE BACK SEAT!

She's the perfect RV wife. :D

Actually, the most remarkable thing about Danny's flight is that he made it both ways non-stop ... WITH HIS WIFE IN THE BACK SEAT!

She's the perfect RV wife. :D
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, she is the perfect RV wife. In fact, after shutdown in front of hanger 8, I got out and went to the "men's room", Builder Doll started unloading the plane! She claims that any woman that worked as a school teacher for 37 years, can go five hours without a restroom break.

Yes, the flight was non-stop 771 nm or (887 sm) We had to do a little deviating for weather along the route of flight, and at one point had strong head winds associated with the system making only 137 knots. Later, the G3X showed 183 knots at 8.2 gph, 24.5 mpg, at 61% power at 8500 feet. It all added up to about fifteen minutes longer than other non-stop OSH-52F flights. Fuel remaining was 9.4 gallons or about an hour and ten minutes remaining.

I love my Hotel Whiskey extended range tanks marketed by Safeair1.com. They give the Doll 51 gallons or one more gallon than the new RV-14.

As always, it's depressing to read the post-Oshkosh posts and see that someone you "know" (from here on VAF) was camped nearby and you never got to meet! I hate when that happens.

I sure wish there would have been a way to identify other forum members at Osh or other flyins. I met only a few of the people I visit with here on the forum and there were a lot more I didn't get the chance to meet. A sign on the prop with the members forum name would have made it super easy to know who was who. I think I will make myself a Tshirt with my forum name on it or even better wear one of Dougs shirts and have my N number and forum name added to the back.

Funny thing on me is that I thought...it sure would be nice if we all had some sort of tag we could put our screen and real names on and fasten em to our caps or something. When I got home and unpacked I found that there was a tag in my mug that was given to me at registration....boy am I observant!

Last edited:
Hi Danny

I went to the Garmin tent a few times to see you to get your feedback on your G3X installation but I guess I missed you everytime....That is something I will be looking into for my next panel upgrade or next airplane

Bruno

I'm sorry I missed you. I was there every day, and left around lunch time to eat and experience AirVenture.

You can't go wrong with the G3X system for value, and I strongly recommend it. The G3X came down from the certified G 1000 system not from the ground up, and Garmin keeps adding value to it with data base updates. The last one gave me a wonderful "G" meter that activates when you pull "Gs" replacing the HSI, and then returns to an HSI when you unload the aircraft. Too cool.

It was great meeting so many VAF people at OshKosh! Casey and I really had a good time. We got out on Sunday morning and made it back to Arlington, WA on Sunday evening, five minutes before sunset. Looking forward to seeing it all again next year!

A sign on the prop with the members forum name would have made it super easy to know who was who.

You know, that's really a brilliant idea. A propeller sleeve/sign like the EAA signs, but with the VAF logo and real names, screen names, city/state/home airport locations, etc.

Last edited:
Funny thing on me is that I thought...it sure would be nice if we all had some sort of tag we could put our screen and real names on and fasten em to our caps or something. When I got home and unpacked I found that there was a tag in my mug that was given to me at registration....

Several of us at the Monday night beer social at the SOS tent had exactly that... homemade laminated ID badges with the VAF logo (for easy recognition), a little picture of our avatars, and real names and screen names on them.

Vans guys...

Scott, Sterling, Gus, Daryl, and myself all arrived home today. Great week of fun and work!

Storm?

It was my first time camping in HBC. I've camped in the North 40 and Camp Scholler for years, but it was nice to wake up in a sea of RVs! Sure would be nice if the EAA would provide facilities as nice as elsewhere on the field.

The storm that blew through on Thursday trashed my new tent. I wasn't alone, either. However, a quick field repair allowed me to stay another couple of nights without incident.

That was #23 for me. Despite my annual grumblings about the EAA and how it is changing, I feel compelled to hang in there a couple more years, just in case they hand out special 25-year attendance pins. :D

Was that a storm or perhaps an FAA guy that trashed your tent? Payback for wasting good Scotch perhaps? :D

RV-8 & G3X

Hi Danny

Sorry I missed you too,It would have been a pleasure to meet you...

So you have RV-8 ER so it explain the range,I wonder how hard an installation it will be on a flying RV-4?? Gotta check their web site...

I've got a Skyview in my -4 right now but I will seriously consider the G3X for my next airplane specially for the IFR redundancy..

Cheers

Bruno

Was that a storm or perhaps an FAA guy that trashed your tent? Payback for wasting good Scotch perhaps? :D

Andrew, I refuse to bore everyone with the gory details, but suffice it to say that I did drop Mark a quick e-mail of thanks, encouragement and apology.

And the best news is that when I related the tale to my wife, instead of scolding me she said, "WHAT? You spilled good scotch??" :D

Good woman.

Sweltering back in texas...

Louise, myself, Tsam, and the Valkyrie arrived back at Polly ranch this afternoon after leaving Minneapolis/St/ Paul about 0730 this morning. I had Tsam for the first leg, and at 10.5K we had a 10 knot tailwind for several hundred miles and I was seeing 31 nautical miles per gallon. Had to turn on the cabin heat because my knees were cold. (Now I am sweltering as the house air conditioner is trying to overcome 12 days of heat-soaking...)

Stopped at Springdale, Arkansas to visit the folks at Tru Trak and get a quick software update for the GX Pilot. had a great visit and a wonderful lunch (they treat customers well!), then launched for home, arriving with half tanks in the Val and about a third in Tsam (-3's only have 30 gallon capacity). Changed the oil in the Val when we got home, as it got pretty hot during the RV Parade last Monday at Osh, and all airplanes are ready to go on the next adventure.

Thanks again to everyone that made Osh great this year!

Paul

...... it got pretty hot during the RV Parade last Monday at Osh, ....Paul

Nice flying with you and Louise. About the second lap forming up at Juneau, I got a close up look of Val...closer than I wanted. :eek: That was a tough intro into formation flying.

it was hot flying...how high did you oil get? I only hit 204F in flight, but 210+ while taxiing in. I think the pilot temp was 250 or so...I couldn't get enough fluids.

Great week for sure.

p.s. i think you two could have claimed self defense if you would have pummeled the kids playing next to Tsam. Parents, too.;)

...as it got pretty hot during the RV Parade last Monday at Osh

No kidding! Waiting #1 for you all to land on runway 27 did no good to those 28 Continental engines idling awaiting to start the Bonanza showcase.

Curious, why single ship landings? Just seemed to go on and on and on...

Best,

-Jim

My wife and I flew in for her first experience flying in to a big event. We camped at HBC. We stayed a bit longer than expected, due to weather in the northeast all week. We had a great trip, great time, and got back to NH in time to go to work Monday without the dreaded "Hey boss - you know that week's vacation I just took - well it ain't quite over yet" phone call. Pics & details HERE

Curious, why single ship landings? Just seemed to go on and on and on...

Well, it was a parade of models, so we were already single file - it was the quickest way to get them down and taxiing to the West Ramp for the ceremonial handover of the RV-1 to the museum. The single-file parade was to give the announcer a chance to comment on each model to the crowd.

You should be glad that the escort formation (Falcon Flight and the rest) went out and recovered in "formation fashion" to speed things up! ;)

Well, it was a parade of models, so we were already single file - it was the quickest way to get them down and taxiing to the West Ramp for the ceremonial handover of the RV-1 to the museum. The single-file parade was to give the announcer a chance to comment on each model to the crowd.

You should be glad that the escort formation (Falcon Flight and the rest) went out and recovered in "formation fashion" to speed things up! ;)

Sorry, I guess I should have asked the question more clearly. Why no two-ship wing landings? That's what could have sped the mass arrival up.

Sorry for the thread creep.

Best,

-Jim

i knew that...i must have just forgot.

yes, the CG had indeed crept rearward with fuel burn. i must have just figured that if there was enough elevator authority to rotate the nose upward, there would result enough increase in lift to reduce the sink rate too. WRONG! next time i'll just keep another 5 mph on the ASI all the way to the roundout and hopefully forego the bumpy, short rollout. thanks for the reminder and for confirming what i suspected was the explanation, anyhow.

Back