- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:50 PM

Default Got Lucky Today

Coming back from a morning flight, set up for landing on Rwy 17. Touchdown was uneventful until just after the nose touched the ground. The right main went flat and created a lot of drag. I immediately hit the brakes and the plane stopped while still on the runway. I got out and fortunately had no damage to the wheel pant, just a little tar stain. With help form the FBO crew, managed to get the plane off the runway the tire changed. Found a hole in the tube from some foreign object. Lesson learned - replace the tire before it gets too bald.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:40 PM

Good job and glad things turned out OK.
N258SM RV14A - IO390EXP119 - in progress
Dues paid
Old 07-12-2012, 01:25 PM

Default It's always the right main on A models I suspect

Been there done that at Hamilton, Texas. Off the runway so as not to block it completely, some damage to fairing, easily repaired fiberglass but the tire repair by two Texan's in the middle of nowhere out on the edge of the runway with no option but to call 911 was a miracle.

Bob Axsom
Old 07-12-2012, 01:57 PM

Default Whew!!!

Randy,

Glad you were able to react to save the bird and have a good outcome! Congratulations!!!
RV-8 QB Reserved N212KB
ATP
CFI/CFII/MEI

Build Site: http://www.mykitlog.com/skykingbob/

"Nothing worthwhile has ever been accomplished without inspiration, determination, and perspiration!"
Old 07-12-2012, 09:42 PM

Default 911 Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Axsom View Post
Been there done that at Hamilton, Texas. Off the runway so as not to block it completely, some damage to fairing, easily repaired fiberglass but the tire repair by two Texan's in the middle of nowhere out on the edge of the runway with no option but to call 911 was a miracle.

Bob Axsom
Bob,

Anytime you call a Texan, any proper Texan, it's a 911 call. Gun, beer, jack or all three fit in my/our trucks.
My brain shows a remarkable capacity to not willingly accept information that it considered useless.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:11 AM

Default Bald tires

I too recently replaced the bald tires on my plane and noticed that i actually had better tires on my old truck that I drove to the airport than I had on my airplane. I wonder why we, myself included, tend to let the tires on our expensive airplanes get worn down to practically nothing when we would never let a car tire to get even close to that point. Just an observation.

Build it light and cheap