What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battle Damage............again!

jthocker

Well Known Member
Mutha is starting to feel like his beloved ride is one giant magnet for airplanes and or pieces of planes! After the Sun n Fun fiasco, Mutha thought he was now "pre-disastered"!
Not so fast Mutha! A few years ago we teased Joker about not wanting to fly behind him, due to his post flight discovery of a MISSING filtered airbox (Airflow Performance). This was to have been remedied after the 2nd occurrence! Fast forward a few years, and we find our hero (Mutha) slated as #4 in a 4 ship line abreast takeoff out of Cincinnati Lunkens wide runway.
Bud Newhouse aka Joker is our fearless flight lead. The brief was for Mutha to move to the slot (to form a diamond) immediately after takeoff. Takeoff and departure happened as briefed and the flight was in the process of exiting the Lunken area in close formation, when things got interesting.
#4's call from the slot went something like this, "Lead, you seem to be trailing something from your lower cowl area, in the vicinity of the left exhaust pipe! Lead (Joker) says "OK", and then requests a frequency change from Lunken tower. Joker then simultaneously fishtails his aircraft to signal the flight to move to a more relaxed/wider(route) formation and instructs the flight to change to the pre briefed air to air frequency.
All eyes are on Jokers plane as we move out to "route" formation. Next heard over the air to air frequency is, "Mutha, did that hit you?"......................Mutha's reply.........."Yep"!
Lead announced he was out of the formation, and pulled straight up and away! Mutha, meanwhile was franticly looking for the "Shields" switch to stave off anymore of Joker's FOD!!! Fortunately the Testor's cement that Joker used to build his plane, held together until he was safely away from the more robustly constructed RV8's in Mutha's flight.
Wingmen #2 Nordo, and #3 Hersha(Badger) decided to stick with the damaged aircraft (Mutha's), possibly believing that following Joker was way too risky. Mutha then informed the flight that the damage to the left fuel tank might be such that returning to Lunken may leave him grounded at Joker's hangar. Mutha believed that Joker would, (if he made it back at all) have his hands full, rebuilding his plane, thus using his hammer, crescent wrench, and pliers for the foreseeable future, decided to make his way home to assess the damage.
Joker CLAIMS to have all his parts intact.
Mutha has a large dent/crease in the leading edge of the left fuel tank, along with a smaller dent just aft of the leading edge. Joker CLAIMS it might have been a RAG!
Mutha thinks it might have been an unfinished Bud Light that was set on the filtered airbox and forgotten about during an oil change!
In any case Mutha will be attending Oshkosh again with his beloved ride in a less than perfect state, and ......a ride, that needs a proper moniker!:D

Glad Mutha is OK and able to write such a colorful commentary of a scary situation! Let us know how you fix it-- I need to tackle a little turquoise tank with very similar damage (from your tornado). Are you going to paint a little beer can under the cockpit rail? ;) You obviously won the battle.

I'm sure glad it hit the fuel tank and not the canopy :eek:. I'm very happy you are OK. That could have been ugly.

Maybe you should just leave your next RV unpainted. :)

And please, please, please don't park anywhere close to our aircraft at OSH - I don't want to risk getting caught up in the crossfire if your string of bad luck continues. :D

I'd fly with Mutha any day. It appears there is no safer place to be than "NEXT" to Mutha. Now, flying "WITH" Mutha is another story ! ;)

Glad everyone is back on the ground and safe.

Well written story. It's a Greek tragedy though the ending is certainly better than it would have been if it hit your canopy.

Perhaps name the plane Thud...

A RAG?

I think you should name your ride

MAGNET, or maybe Patches

See you in Osh.

Mutha you seem to be the victim of some undeserved bad karma from Joker. This is what happens when you mess with people on public transportation!

Wow Sig, what a cool story!

I must inform that I did not "steal" the call sign "Mutha"!
It was bestowed upon me by Greg "Greese" Reese of Cincy RiVer Rat (and to a much lesser degree) Team RV fame!

Out of the utmost respect for Naval Aviators, I shall relinquish my call sign, should that be the decision of that honored fraternity!

If that most highly skilled and courageous group, could in their benevolence, allow me to keep my call sign, I humbly offer:
I have "Called the Ball" at NAS Chambers numerous times as Captain on a "Stretch" DC8-73, including once when the cargo manifest stated "Bombs, Fuses, and Explosive Devices".
I have also frequented drinking establishments surrounding NAS Rota(Spain), and NAS Sigonela(Sicily)!!!;)

Dang! Glad you didn't catch that thing in the windshield.

Oh well, fuel tanks aren't too bad...you have lots of practice building them, which helps :)

See you at OSH!

ps - can we sign your dent?

"Target." It could make communications fun, too. "Target is coming up on your 3 o'clock." "Roger, have Target in sight." And so on... :D

It was bestowed upon me by Greg "Greese" Reese of Cincy RiVer Rat (and to a much lesser degree) Team RV fame!

Out of the utmost respect for Naval Aviators, I shall relinquish my call sign, should that be the decision of that honored fraternity!

If that most highly skilled and courageous group, could in their benevolence, allow me to keep my call sign, I humbly offer:
I have "Called the Ball" at NAS Chambers numerous times as Captain on a "Stretch" DC8-73, including once when the cargo manifest stated "Bombs, Fuses, and Explosive Devices".
I have also frequented drinking establishments surrounding NAS Rota(Spain), and NAS Sigonela(Sicily)!!!;)

I was just yankin' ya man!

But...

Have you ever sampled the One Eyed Indian in Gitmo? ( Otherwise known as Hatui)

Swimming...

Guantanamo Bay is probably one of the most beautiful spots on this planet to free dive I have ever been to. We used to watch the 100lb. + tarpon roll in the lights off our fantail while anchored there.

Mutha, IMHO you're good to go...see below...;)

I was just yankin' ya man!

Well I sure hope so Landfill! Almost blew the soda I was drinkin' through my nose when I saw a Hornet guy yanking someone's chain about stealing "Mutha"! I'd say you F/A Guys stole it from the Tomcats of the real Fightertown USA, but the Crusader guys that really started the tradition would have my be-hind. But all that talk of "east coast, and to a lesser extent, west coast" squadrons is "juuuust a bit outside"...a little revisionist history, eh shipmate? ;) Lets not forget that the Mutha is steeped in Miramar history, and it was all about stealing it (woe be the JO that lost the Mutha to a rival squadron!)

So in that tradition, if JT stole Mutha, all the better! Thus it fits, and thus it sticks! :D

As for your ride Mutha, I second Widget's "Magnet". Play it right, its a chick-Magnet, otherwise, its a...well...you know where that goes! :p

Cheers,
Bob

Interesting trophy ...

20120622-072116.jpg

Reading about the legend of the trophy's character who "...wanders through the country, taking part in impossible adventures, keeping company with the fearless rogues and bold revelers...", sounds like many an RV pilot (especially any of the formation guys)...:D

Sig, no worries, Mutha has thick skin and can take the yanking!
Bob, Mutha thanks you for the support!

Joker, if you're reading this, appreciate the fact that there is no such thing as "Bad Publicity"! Just ask Lindsay Lohan!;)

Reading about the legend of the trophy's character who "...wanders through the country, taking part in impossible adventures, keeping company with the fearless rogues and bold revelers...", sounds like many an RV pilot (especially any of the formation guys)...:D

Touche'

Bob, never was an east coaster so I only know "what" Mutha is! Silly Turkey traditions. :D

Where's Rock Hudon on this????

?NAS Rota(Spain), and NAS Sigonela(Sicily)!!! ?
Been there, done that, got the scars to prove it! My favorite part of Sig was the beer (yes beer not coke) machines outside of the transit barracks door. Pure genius!

Call sign change

Why are we even talking about Mutha call sign change. Joker... er, uhhh I mean FOD needs the call sign change. :D:D

Joker, if you're reading this, appreciate the fact that there is no such thing as "Bad Publicity"! Just ask Lindsay Lohan!;)

Now that's funny right there!

Touche'

Bob, never was an east coaster so I only know "what" Mutha is! Silly Turkey traditions. :D

Yeah, like "Go, Fight, Win", "No points for second place", "Fox 3"...silly! :rolleyes::p

Where's Rock Hudon on this????
Who?

Is that "November Foxtrot" on the fin of that SuperBug?
Now who's stealing who's callsign?!?!?

"NF" is my sailplane contest I.D.
They call me "Nevada Fox";)

November = West Coast; Foxtrot = Airwing Designation (not sure which CAG the D-Backs are in now...I think those are the D-backs anyway)

You're good to go with Nevada Fox...and now we know your new West Coast Raven and Delta Tau Chi name, eh! ;)

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
RV-12

David,
I built a speculative 12 last year, and sold it after the required test flights were complete, and, yes I do love this stuff!

Back