Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 12:38 PM

Thumbs up SteinAir = Good People!

During my recent CC trip to the upper midwest, I took the opportunity to drive over and meet the folks of SteinAir in person.

Pretty much dropped in unannounced on these folks. The sign on the door says GO AWAY or something like that. The fine print lets you know that it is meant for unsolicited solicitors. Anyway the wife and I took our life into our own hands and went inside....

Once inside we found a 5-6 people heads down busy working hard on building panels. An entire room full of bench after bench of just about every brand of EFIS made and all the associated accessories.

Panels galore! Some finished, some just starting and everything in between.

Stein was out to lunch and running errands and while we waited Christer gave us the grand tour. I was like a kid in a candy store. I got to see systems that I had not seen in person yet and twist knobs on all the latest gear. He showed me their scheduling system, inventory areas, staging area and stacks of avionics ready to go into customer panels, their custom wiring diagram creation program that one of the SteinAir guys developed in house that is amazing, their CNC panel cutting machine, and a couple airplane projects in the back. One RV10 and another personal project of Stein's. (Think huge radial engine, tons of hand worked aluminum for the cowl and fairings, no fiberglass on this plane!)

After about an hour of touring and twisting knobs and asking Christer a million questions, we decided to go have a bite to eat. When we returned Stein was back and he spent at least another hour with me talking shop and discussing the way their business runs. We discussed many of the pros-cons and details of most of the major avionics brands these days. Looked at a few more details of some of the projects on the benches etc.

It was an awesome experience to get to spend a couple hours with those folks and I have to say Stein and his group are top notch people. He has a hard working shop and their attention to detail and knowledge of their business will be hard for anyone to beat.

I highly recommend anyone that is purchasing avionics/panels/instruments etc. to give Stein a chance to serve you. He most likely won't be the cheapest but SteinAir will end up being the most value for your dollar! SteinAir is way more than just a mail order broker of avionics!
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Project Sold
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook

Last edited by Brantel : 06-18-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:45 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Did you get to see the Mullicoupe project? They don't just do wiring at Stein's place - he has a metal-smith that is a consummate artist! The "bump" cowling is fantastic....

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 06-18-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
Did you get to see the Mullicoupe project? They don't just do wiring at Stein's place - he has a metal-smith that is a consummate artist! The "bump" cowling is fantastic....

Paul
Yes!!! I went back and added this to my original post.

You are correct, the Mullicoupe sheetmetal is simply amazing. How anyone can work aluminum like that and not get a crack is beyond me! The bumps all around that huge cowl made out of one piece of metal is jaw dropping! All the compound curves of the intersection fairings are works of art.
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Old 06-18-2012, 04:12 PM

My only concern is when good company's grow their business faster than their service. It is difficult at best to keep the two growing at the same pace. "Everyone's head down" can mean they're playing catch-up. I do think Van's has managed this facet of their business almost better than anything else they do. While they have been sucked under in their lifetime, they always manage to find a way back to the surface without sacrificing what they stand for.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterk View Post
My only concern is when good company's grow their business faster than their service. It is difficult at best to keep the two growing at the same pace. "Everyone's head down" can mean they're playing catch-up.
This is not my experience with Stein's. Whenever I call or email, I get the feeling that I am their only customer and that they are completely "on top" of my instrument design/build. Also, they are completely fine with my last minute changes and add-ons. A company "playing catch-up" would not typically email its customers with an alert that the Garmin discount was running out and that to take advantage of the savings, I needed to send in the forms right away.
I have had nothing but outstanding service from Stein and his employees and would not hesitate in recommending them to anyone.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:39 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
My only concern is when good company's grow their business faster than their service. It is difficult at best to keep the two growing at the same pace. "Everyone's head down" can mean they're playing catch-up. I do think Van's has managed this facet of their business almost better than anything else they do. While they have been sucked under in their lifetime, they always manage to find a way back to the surface without sacrificing what they stand for.
I've been dropping in on Stein and his gang of ruffians for years now - always unexpectedly, and they have always been just the way this visit was described - all working, but ready to drop everything for a visit. I'm not too worried about 'em....

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 06-18-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
This is not at all the impression I got when I was there. What I saw was several skilled technicians doing their jobs. Stein and Christer were glad to make me feel like I was their only customer. Jed was working the phone the entire time I was there. I did not see Paul but I bet he normally does the same. I felt just as important as the guy that was getting the $100k panel being shipped that day. Even though Christer had never met me in person, he knew exactly who I was when he saw me walk in.
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Old 06-18-2012, 06:25 PM

It was a pleasure to have Brian and his wife stop by for a visit...but it should be mentioned that they managed to sneak in RIGHT in the front of a nasty line of storms (dumped 10-12" of rain in around 4-6 hrs). The METAR closest to where they landed that afternoon shows some unfriendly winds: METAR KLSE 142153Z 14021G27KT which as I understand was a fairly stiff Xwind across the runway they landed on. Not the most enjoyable way to be greeted upon arrival after a long XC trip, but does show that it can be done and these RV's are fantastic airplanes!

Cheers,
Stein

PS - Anyone who's transacted any significant business directly with us can comment with first hand experience on service. As an aside, our business has remained the same size for a good many years now - not growing but not shrinking....just steady! I'd hate to walk in to someplace and see people sitting around with nothing to do, nor would I want to be paying employees to sit around with nothing to do....not a good way to run any business. We work hard, but we also play hard! Anyone is always free to stop by anytime and get some first hand non anectdotal data.

Last edited by SteinAir : 06-18-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:15 PM

Default Stein

This is exactly the reason I am buying $26K worth of instruments from Stein. I have spoke to him two times and he patiently answers any and all questions for as long as you want. He will get any of my wiring business, instruments, etc that I can think of. Get ready to build my G3X Stein!!
My brain shows a remarkable capacity to not willingly accept information that it considered useless.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:19 PM

Remember those great BBQs at Oshkosh? Guess who put up the money for that? Guess who went to vendors on his own and got contributions? Then bought us a big grill?

and that's not even the business he and Jed are in. On THAT score, you can't find anyone who knows more, you can't find anyone who cares more, you can't find anyone else who'll treat you like the best customer whether you're getting one of those 100k panels or a simple Garmin cable.

There's really no reason -- none -- for any RVer to give their business to anyone else.

He makes you want to visit South Dakota to see if they're all like that out there.
RV-12iS Powerplant kit
N612EF Builder log (EAA Builder log)
Last article: "Gonna Finish This Sucker" (Kitplanes)
Waiting for the avionics kit (backordered: chip shortage)

Last edited by LettersFromFlyoverCountry : 06-18-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Closed Thread