Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2012, 01:15 PM

Default Great report Darren!

Thanks for sharing your great report! Very cool! I'll have to check out the video, but if it's like your other works, it's sure to be entertaining.
RV-8 'Contrary Mary' flying
N784DE S/N #82614

www.fixedwingbuddha.com
Follow me on Facebook
Old 06-15-2012, 02:04 PM

Default Nice!

Excellent video Darren! I really enjoy your work. You video's are so well done, and the editing is so interesting that they really are just good entertainment. At the end I was wishing it wasn't over yet. Thanks for sharing.
Jim
Fuselage - arrived 3/14/14
Wings - arrived 3/7/13
Builder # 83331
www.mykitlog.com/izzybear
VAF Dues gladly paid up till December 2020

"The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only stare skyward and wish." - Unknown
Old 06-15-2012, 05:01 PM

Great video, Darren! How would the Kirkby strip work for a 6A? Seems like it would be a nice option for visiting the Calgary area.
O-360 A1A, Sensenich FP prop

Those who think any system is foolproof greatly underestimate the ingenuity of fools
Old 06-15-2012, 05:20 PM

It was nice meeting you Doc. First day your SPOT confused me. I was almost all day at work outside on the roof and I remember there were no fix wings crossing Central Park but your SPOT told otherwise. Then I learned you stayed overnight several blocks from me and beaconed from the apartment.
Good times!

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:59 PM

Default Thanks for the kind comments !

Hi All,

Glad the write up and video were well received. Thank you to all for the complimentary words.

The videos are fun to make and they serve not only as a keep sake but as motivation to those still building and as a platform to showcase these wonderful Van's airplanes we love so much.

I'll answer some of the questions asked.

Perry Y: The grass strip I fly out of is Chestermere-Kirkby field just to the East of Calgary (CFX8). There are about 20 hangers there and the owner keeps the strip pretty good. Our annual breakfast fly-in is July 7th this year.

A few comments on the onboard gadgets I use. I'm not a really techy guy and have only added things out of necessity.

The panel has an Advanced 3500 EFIS which I put in to replace the steam gauges. It has all the engine parameters I cherish and gives me a good idea of how the fan up front is doing. It is wired to the Zaon XRX TCAS. This is suppose to show traffic but isn't that accurate. Best to keep your eyes open and don't rely on this thing.

Using the iPad is the best. I have "Foreflight" (if you aren't familiar with this read up on it. It's a very comprehensive flight planning package), SkyChartsPro, Tank 2, ScratchWork and AirCheck.

SkyChartsPro - has all the US Sectionals and is updated. You can save these to the Ipad for reference in the air without the need for a network or wifi. It has all the airport information in there too so no bulky maps of books to leaf through enroute. Unfortunately they don't have Canadian Charts or the CFS

Tank2 - is an app that I use to keep track of the fuel in my tanks. The EFIS is calibrated so that it shows fuel burn. Unfortunately the EFIS graph display showing how much is in each tank is inaccurate. This app allows you to select which tank you are on and enter the total fuel used. It does the math and shows how much fuel remains in each tank. The key is to make sure the fuel burn on the EFIS is accurate.

ScratchWork - A scratch pad that I use to record Hobbs time

AirCheck - an app that I use for my checklists. Cold engine, Warm engine, Run up, Engine shutdown etc...

The Garmin Aera 510 is my XM weather and radio. With these planes, in 3 hours you can cross a few Provinces and States. You can fly in an out of weather in that distance. Having a heads up on what is coming helps. I have been frustrated with reaching enroute weather briefers before. This way I can have weather at my fingertips.

The XM Radio doesn't hurt either. I was flying in the BC mountains the other day and listening to Dr. Phil give me marriage advice I fly about 3 times a week so I use this quite a bit.

Gerry The Kirkby strip is pretty good. It's North-South and 2000 feet long. Your -6A would be fine. Not as rough as other grass strips. Come on by

Vlad Nice to meet you to !! Thanks for breakfast. If your Alaska trip pans out, please stop by and say Hi. I'll return the favour at least and give you a place to crash, if you need.

Darren
Old 06-17-2012, 06:56 AM

Default Nice

Very nice Darren.
Nice you could share that experience with your Dad. Enjoyed the video. Blue Skies.

Rick

Flew to Osh 11,12,15,17,19. SNF 2013. West to Cali /Washington/Vancouver/crossed the Rockies north to Red Deer east to Moosonee and over to maritimes. South to Jekyll Isl, cedar key, and Key West etc. 6 trips and 17 islands of the Bahamas. Flown turtles and dogs for Pilots n Paws too. Love our Rv's
Old 06-17-2012, 07:14 AM

Darren,

I really enjoyed the write up and video. I sent you a PM.

Joe
Old 06-17-2012, 06:53 PM

Hey Darren, nice write up as usual! I used to base my Extra 230 and Pitts S2B at the Rice Lake airport, both the old and the new. We had a vacation cabin on a lake in the area since the eighties. Beautiful area, in the summer!

As for crossing the lake, I flew my S2B across Lake Michigan once, when the Chicago area was stormy. I climbed to 11,500', and flew from ship to ship, thinking if the engine quit I would glide toward the nearest ship, bailing out as close to one as possible. Even in summer the water is pretty cool, and of course a Pitts glides only a little better than the Space Shuttle, hence my climb to altitude. I was pretty nervous about it, and truth be told, probably wouldn't do it again. Getting' old, I guess!

Your write ups always give me more motivation to get mine done, I can't wait!
Thanks again!
Old 06-23-2012, 08:13 AM

Hey Damon,

Thanks for your comments. Rice Lake was a nice little airport from what I saw.

I totally respect your reservation in crossing Lake Michigan. As I said in my write-up, everyone has their own comfort level.

Did the S2B have any type of engine monitor ? Just curious. We crossed Lake Michigan twice and Lake Erie twice on our trip. I did have one rule and that was "not to touch anything" once the crossing began.

By that I mean. The autopilot would be set, mixture, prop, throttle, tank etc... would all be setup prior to the Lake crossing. Once we started the cross, I didn't touch a thing. No switching tanks.......nothing. Just let the plane do it's thing

It was just my way of not messing with a "stable" environment. I'd hate for the fuel selector handle to come off in my hand whilst over the water

Darren
Old 06-23-2012, 09:12 AM

Default How small was the cameraman?

Looks like a fun trip. I did enjoy the video and seeing the VA countryside was pretty cool. It isn't how I anticipated it would be.

My question is, how small was the cameraman moving around the cockpit to get all the shots of you and your father?
Flying N376E