Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2012, 08:44 AM

Default HOUSTON... We have an Eagle's Nest Project!

A new campus has been added to the Eagle's Nest program, Clear Springs High School in League City, TX (JSC NASA area). Clear Springs HS is a Project Lead the Way certified campus for engineering studies, and with the assistance of Eagle's Nest founder, Mr. Bob Kelly and mentors from NASA, Clear Springs engineering instructor, Mr. Roger Elder, will lead the new Eagle's Nest project (EN-III) scheduled to begin with the Fall semester.

Friends of the RV-1, Inc., a 501(c)(3) Public Charity and sponsor of Eagle's Nest Projects, is excited to have a campus in NASA's back door. Eagle's Nest-III is off to a great start - Funding for the project was obtained with a single phone call to a local business, and NASA's Department of Education and Student Programs has agreed to assist in providing mentors. The Jennings County project (EN-I) will soon become a dual-credit course in Indiana, and the plan for EN-III is do the same in Texas. Eagle's Nest is breaking new ground in public education and you're invited to become a part of this innovative and exciting new program. **Eagle's Nest is a program that provides high school students an opportunity to build a "real" airplane (Van's RV-12), and at most campuses an opportunity to learn to fly it! Eagle's Nest projects are currently underway at Jennings County High School and the National Guard Patriot Academy.

Students build the airplane." -Glen Salmon

Dedicated to the historical preservation of the RV-1 Aircraft
and organized for the purposes of promoting, supporting,
fostering, and engaging in aviation and aerospace education.

www.RV-1.org
www.EaglesNestProjects.org

Last edited by Special Delivery : 03-06-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:33 AM

Talk about making my day! This couldn't happen in a better area, near the HQ of Friends of the RV-1, and on NASA's doorstep. Ernie is really pushing Eagle's Nest to new heights. Beyond seeing how well-accepted the projects can be (which doesn't surprise me,) I am so gratified at how quickly the aviation community and local businesses are ready to promote and fund them. VAF members can be proud that the very first support we ever received came when I asked for donations for tools right here in September 2010, long before we were a 501(c)(3). This program is spreading far faster than I dared dream. Ernie didn't mention that EN-IV will be at JCHS, home of the EN-I.

There may be opportunities for you here. There are very strict requirements to consider doing a project. You have to 1) be alive, 2) enjoy aviation, and 3) be within driving distance of a school. If for any reason you don't meet these qualifications, or just don't have the time, you might consider $upporting the program$ in $ome other way$

Bob Kelly
President, AviationNation, Inc
RV-9A N908BL, Flying
Old 04-17-2012, 11:47 AM

Fantastic! Now if it were just 300 miles further south it would be perfect. How does one go about making one of these happen?
RV12 built and flying
Old 04-17-2012, 12:28 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

I was given my true start in aviation at age 13 by an FBO and a group of aviators who wanted to get teens involved in building and flying airplanes - so I am a strong supporter of this effort! I expect that we'll be spending more than a lite time involved in this Ernie, so thanks for locating it just a mile and a half off the end of our runway!

Aside from the benefits to the kids involved, this project might also serve to bring together the somewhat scattered RV community in the area - we have lots of RV'ers (builders and fliers) on the south side of Houston, but we tend to cluster in small enclaves at our our airports - this could be a great way to bring many of them together to help out a worthy, long-term project!

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 04-17-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromTX View Post
Fantastic! Now if it were just 300 miles further south it would be perfect. How does one go about making one of these happen?
Don,

Let's work on making it perfect for you... Send me your contact information (reb@rv-1.org) and lets discuss a project for your area. Thanks for your interest!
Students build the airplane." -Glen Salmon

Dedicated to the historical preservation of the RV-1 Aircraft
and organized for the purposes of promoting, supporting,
fostering, and engaging in aviation and aerospace education.

www.RV-1.org
www.EaglesNestProjects.org

Last edited by Special Delivery : 04-17-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:52 PM

I live on the north side of Houston and am building a -9A. Also an A&P and avionics tech for "the airline". If there is anyway I can help, I might be able to give some time for a worthy cause.

Jay
Wings complete.
Fuselage in progress
Wiring in progress
2020 Donation made!