Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihon_Ni View Post
I LOVE the time-lapse videos you made. I was thinking about doing the same sort of thing once I get started, but I don't know how to make the mechanics work -- what kind of camera to use, turning it to video, etc. If you have any tips, I'd love to hear it.
I have a full desktop PC on my main workbench (with a 32" HDTV for a monitor ) running Windows 7. A laptop would work just as well. Not sure about other operating systems, as I use Windows Live Movie Maker... which comes pre-loaded on Windows 7.

The webcam is a Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000, but any webcam that the PC recognizes will work.

I also have a 30' USB extension cable from monoprice.com ($9, LOVE MONOPRICE!!!)

The program I use to capture pictures from my webcam is called Booru (http://lumai.se/bc.html). The extent of the configuration is telling the app which webcam to use, how often to take a picture, and where to store the pictures. Mine is set to take a pic every 5 seconds. There are other apps that do the same thing, but I haven't investigated them.

My process is this:

1. Put the webcam somewhere it can get a good view of the work area. Mine is normally clamped to a shelf somewhere.
2. Open Booru (it starts recording as soon as it opens)
3. Build an airplane.
4. When finished building the airplane, quit the Booru app.
5. I move the captured pictures to another folder, but only because I'm going to keep them all. If you're only interested in the video, you can ignore this step... and delete the pics when you're done.
6. Open Windows Live Movie Maker
7. In WLMM, click "All Pictures or Videos"
8. Browse to your pictures folder, right click > select all, then click "open".
9. In WLMM, hit the edit button.
10. There is now a field to choose how long to display each pic. I use .05 seconds.
11. Hit "Save Video" You now have a WMV Video file.

It looks like a lot all typed up, but it takes me about 20 seconds from start to finish (except the "build an airplane" step)
KSGS - Fleming Field, South Saint Paul, Minnesota

YouTube.com/GoodPlaneLiving
-- Build Timelapse and Travel Videos . . GoodPlaneLiving.com -- Build and Travel Blog
Old 03-14-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoR View Post
Think of it this way, you take a picture with your smartphone, its updated to the internet/cloud, and backed up on your computer when you sync your phone.

You now have a 3x redundancy of backup. Not too bad.
A weblog doesn't work that way. The blog goes down, any content you have not specifically saved is gone. I get the accessibility issue, but I prefer to separate my build log and my web page. The log is my complete local record (which becomes part of my maintenance records) and the web page is my public abstract of what I'm doing. I know people don't want to peruse my whole build log; even I don't refer back to much of it.
http://www.mykitlog.com/flion/
EAA Technical Counselor #5357
Old 03-14-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flion View Post
A weblog doesn't work that way. The blog goes down, any content you have not specifically saved is gone. I get the accessibility issue, but I prefer to separate my build log and my web page. The log is my complete local record (which becomes part of my maintenance records) and the web page is my public abstract of what I'm doing. I know people don't want to peruse my whole build log; even I don't refer back to much of it.
I have my wordpress blog set up to automatically back up the entire site to my separate dropbox account. This happens every morning at 3AM. There is a slick little plugin that makes it VERY easy.

In order for me to lose data, both independent service providers (dropbox.com and my web host) would have to suffer a data loss event that wasn't recoverable from the backups that they also maintain. Simultaneously.

But you're right, Patrick. These features are NOT there out of the box for most of the log methods discussed in this thread. Just like redundancy in your plane, ALWAYS have a backup... and make it an automatic one, because you WILL forget once!
KSGS - Fleming Field, South Saint Paul, Minnesota

YouTube.com/GoodPlaneLiving
-- Build Timelapse and Travel Videos . . GoodPlaneLiving.com -- Build and Travel Blog
Old 12-28-2012, 11:09 PM

Default Blogspot.com seems pretty good

Thanks everyone for all the good info. After reading through several threads including this one, I decided to try out Google's blogspot.com. A bit confusing at first for a blog neophyte like me, but it quickly became pretty intuitive to use. Advantages for me include built-in templates for very nice layouts, and a powerful WYSIWYG editor. Disadvantages are no tables (easy enough to create a spreadsheet page, save as an image, and insert the image) and no customizable fields (at least, I couldn't find any) to set up time-tracking or similar. I suppose with the html editor, which can be selected in place of the WYSIWYG editor, you might be able to create a table and do some other things that I don't plan to try.

As some others have noted, saving a separate archive can be challenging. But in my experience, Google has been pretty good about warning users of changes that might compromise their data. I was also able to download and save the complete web page I created on my local machine. Some formatting was lost, but it seems like this may be a way to ensure a local backup copy of your work.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:59 AM

I use kitlog at present but I'm considering jumping ship. It seems to irritate me more each time I use it. Far to many clicks on the same thing, small pictures that can't be clicked on for more detail and only 3 of them allowed, locks up and requires a reboot far to often. But as others have said...technically it works. It's like working with an old apple IIc though.
SARL Race#95
SnF Homebuilt Judge

2015 Sun n Fun Kit Built Reserve Grand Champion
2015 Oshkosh Kit Built Champion
2015 Jeffco Kit Built Grand Champion
2014 Oshkosh Outstanding Workmanship Award

Broken Warrior of the Jarhead Clan
Old 12-29-2012, 10:11 AM

Blogspot is easy to use and everything gets organized.
RV-4 #4520, Slow built
B Svingen
RV-4 Project Log
Onex Project Log

EAA Chapter 573 Norway
Old 12-29-2012, 01:07 PM

If you have an iPad with a data connection, using Springpad to document the build has been really easy. You can add stuff via a web browser or through the iPad/iPhone app. Super easy to add a note for each day and snap some pictures and voi la: all online and searchable.

Here's my log:

http://springpad.com/#!/crawfoco/explore/n19mm/blocks
Old 12-29-2012, 07:58 PM

Default wordpress

Thanks to this thread and the helpful tips from Ed above, I've been using Wordpress so far (in my 2 week old build).

It's not 100% there yet but it does all of my must haves:
  • Tracks hours using the custom fields
  • Performs automated offsite backups to independent location (dropbox)
  • Works on Mac, iPhone and iPad (and anything else)

I got these things to work with minimal techy stuff. There are still a few things I'd like to get working better but I suspect I'll have to dust off some very rusty HTML skills to make it work:
  • Better formatting of the hours spent in individual blog entries. I've got the category totals easy enough but Ed has a nifty "Hours: x" at the bottom of each entry
  • Better control over how the categories show up
RV-14A #140026
Wings 70%. Emp 70%
Happy to be a 2020 =VAF= contributor
Old 12-29-2012, 09:14 PM
fugio ergo sum

All this technical talk makes me feel pretty dumb.

I got an old 3 ring binder and wrote in it what I did. I also occasionally taped a non-digital photo in there.

During the inspection the FAA guy glanced at the log very briefly.

I like it. Has a bit of character and will still be here if all the computers in the world succumb to a virus.

RV-6 N441LP Flying
Old 12-29-2012, 09:51 PM

Default I'm with Larry

I started with kit log and quickly became annoyed with 3 pictures etc. I decided I would rather build than write about building. After some 1.something thousand RV-8's, honestly I don't think I'd add much to the collective wisdom. I have 2 great hand-written logs and thousands of pictures. I had my logs available along with pictures on my ipad for my inspection. I took the same to get my repairman's certificate. All OK.

The fact that kitlog has not been updated tells you what the future holds...

If I were shopping for a used RV, the first thing I'd do is try to find the build log to look for the oops...
Whirlwind RV200
Dual PMags

Pitts S-1S Restoration in process!

Minneapolis, MN