- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:48 PM

Default A day trip to Key West

It has been a few months since we made our big trip. Today we decided to make a day trip to Key West. We decided to bring our folding bikes (thanks to Alfio for introducing Dahon bikes to us) for local transportation. Key West is about 300 nm from where we live. The best route is direct KMTH, then KEYW. On the way, we picked 2IS (Airglades) as our fuel stop (my wife always say that pilots consider filling cheaper gas a game). We were planning to leave early, have lunch at Key West, then come back for dinner. This morning most of the area were covered by dense fog. We waited until almost ten before we departed.

Not too much traffic due to the weather.

After a quick fuel stop we flew toward Marathon Key. Ocean is shallow and reflect interesting colors.

We turned west before reaching Marathon Key to avoid several traffic at the airport.

Before reaching Key West we saw the infamous balloon flying over the clouds.

We did not call Key West Naval (Naval) Approach, instead just circled their airspace to the south west before calling Key West (International) tower. We were told to report mid-field right downwind. We landed uneventfully.

After tied down our plane, we took bikes out and rode them into town. Key West is a bike friendly town. It is really easy to get around with a bike.

We had a late lunch at Martin's on Duval Street. While riding around we heard rooster calls once in a while. I thought it was some kind of gimmick for attracting tourists. Our friendly waiter went outside of the restaurant and dropped some bread crumbs on the sidewalk. One beautiful rooster showed up to pick the bread. It turned out that there are a lot of wild roosters around.

We rode to Hemingway House that is only a block from the restaurant. Due to our limited time we did not go in. Although like most people I am familiar with Hemingway's books it was not until I read "Paris Wife" I began to research his history and life.

Of course we have to picture taken at this marker:
Ted Chang, VAF #681
RV-9A #91048, flying since 8/2006. 2,050 hrs.

2018 Due paid
Old 02-29-2012, 08:49 PM

Default continue

Watch cruise ships is as interesting as watch people from a cruise ship.

After all the fun, we rode back to the airport, paid $15 plus tax to the FBO lady and departed.

On the way back we get to observe the color of sun/clud/rain interaction:

We made it home around 7 pm. What a wonderful day made possible by the airplane I built in my garage.

The rest of the pictures/video (too many):
https://picasaweb.google.com/1076466...2292012KeyWest
Ted Chang, VAF #681

2018 Due paid
Old 02-29-2012, 09:10 PM

Beautiful photos.

Normally, we fly there for overnights, we flew to Key West for lunch once.
All our non-pilot friends went crazy with envy. After all, it's normally a 10-11 hour drive from Brooksville(top of Tampa class B).

BTW, we usually catch the public bus at the FBO for $2. They circle the island clockwise & counter-clockwise every 30 minutes. Unfortunately, my 7 can't carry 2 bikes.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:13 PM

Default Thanks for the memories

We loved our trip there as well. It is too bad you didn't get to take the tour of Hemingway's house - it would have been extra special for you in conjuction with your research. We enjoyed the tour of President Truman's Little White House even more.

Bob Axsom

Last edited by Bob Axsom : 03-01-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:20 PM

Dan, our 9 has the same baggage as your 7. It does fit two Dahon folding bikes.
Bob, We will definitely go back for over night so we can tour the Hemingway house, Truman's little white house (I did not think about this one), and Dry Tortugas National Park.
Ted Chang, VAF #681

2018 Due paid
Old 02-29-2012, 09:54 PM

Ted, Key West is on my bucket list of places to visit for lunch when I finish my RV-9A. It won't be a day trip but I do plan to leave in the morning and eat lunch there. Thanks for the trip report - I think more than anything, seeing people having fun in their RV's keeps me motivated. Now if I can just get the curve of the aft bow to follow the curve of the turtle deck, I'll be ready to move on with the build.
RV-9A 702DA (reserved) Finish Kit IOX-340
www.propjock.com
Old 02-29-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc1234c View Post
Dan, our 9 has the same baggage as your 7. It does fit two Dahon folding bikes.
Bob, We will definitely go back for over night so we can tour the Hemingway house, Truman's little white house (I did not think about this one), and Dry Tortugas National Park.
My bike must not fold up as tight as the dahon. It would be great having the flexibility to tour KeyWest at our own pace.
You got us motivated to return.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:07 AM

Default How about we all make a day trip?

Dan & Ted,

Before the summer heat makes it less comfortable to fly, how about we all meet there or MTH for lunch one day? Need an excuse to burn some expen$ive fuel.

Ted I'm about 25 miles south of Dan at KZPH. Come visit one day! Maybe over to LAL for lunch?
RV-14A Under construction
Based at KZPH
AA4SR
Old 03-01-2012, 06:54 AM

we have gone many times. let just set a date carl. a vaf pic at the southern point would be fun. .
Stuart, Fl / East Hampton,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI - villa sold.
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
addicted pickle ball player
https://i.postimg.cc/tn3h4svg/IMG-3101.jpg
Old 03-01-2012, 08:13 AM

It's also easy to rent bikes in town. I've done that several times.

Awesome pictures.