Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:33 PM

Default cheap borescope alternatives

hey guys

I was poking around on the internet looking for borescopes to permit images and videos of cylinder walls, valves, and piston heads. There were a couple of long discussions with lots of impressive photos on the "BeechTalk" forum. They are getting good results using cheapo cameras like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-6-LED-De...item19cdcd88d3

and

http://www.chinavasion.com/product_i...a-with-lights/

These cameras are plugged into a lap top with a USB connection. The BeechTalk group is building a nice archive of photos with discussion that is really useful. Mike Busch among others recommends frequent borescope use to detect damage before it causes a major problem, and as a better diagnostic tool than the standard compression test. For these prices, its worth a try

erich

Last edited by erich weaver : 02-24-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:13 AM

Don't bother with the boroscopes sold at Harbor Freight... you get what you pay for. Don't ask how I know...
Building Log: www.mykitlog.com/n539rv
APRS Tracking: aprs.fi/n539rv
2017 Paid
Old 02-24-2012, 10:21 AM

We sell one that I tested just this week in a continental. The 9mm camera lets you get into the cylinder and the mirror lets you see the valve. It has a close focus of .4" so it works quite well. The mirror also screws on this model vs. the clip on so it won't come off inside the cylinder. 640x480 quality on a big laptop screen makes for a nicer display than the $500 model. Also works well for behind the panel and in the forward fuse interior area to see those things that are difficult without crawling in upside down. Makes push rod tube bolt inspection easy as well.

http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/p...mber=ISG050-09

-
800-368-1822
www.CleavelandTool.com
mike.toolman (at) gmail.com

Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter - See on YouTube
Old 02-24-2012, 10:30 AM

I have a small mirror on a handle that fits in a spark plug hole. I can see both valves and the entire cylinder wall with it. It has located several bad valves and a couple dozen scored jugs. No batteries, and...its in color.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:39 AM

Default Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevtool View Post
MIke...a dumb question I'm sure - but is this a camera that can capture images that can be saved on the PC or do you have do screen saves, etc.?

Thanks,

Dan
KC2ZEL
Old 02-24-2012, 11:37 AM

Default clevtool Clarification?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevtool View Post
We sell one that I tested just this week in a continental. The 9mm camera lets you get into the cylinder and the mirror lets you see the valve. It has a close focus of .4" so it works quite well. -
The web site link says the focus is 4", not 0.4". Which is it?

Dwight
RV-10 #40762 - 100 hrs+
Denver, CO
Old 02-24-2012, 07:56 PM

I have a different take on one of the Harbor Freight items. Specifically the $199 camera/scope.

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-re...der-67980.html

The camera head isn't articulated like the $10-20,000 fiber scopes I've used in the past. But considering the price, the recording capability (video, still and audio), writes to an SD card, resolution and cordless power capability, it's a nice tool. Quality is also very good for $199.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:00 AM

Default Snap-On BK-6000

Mike Busch recommends the BK-6000 from Snap-On. They are going for about $500-$600 on Ebay. ($800 new) Would be good for an EAA chapter to have or perhaps to share amongst a group of owners. The BK-6000 is able to take video and pictures, store them on a SIM card for sending via e-mail or showing back at the office is needed.
Recommend listening to this webinar so that you know what your looking at through the borescope. Its called "All about cylinders" and is presented by Mike Busch. He says that if you watch the weinar you will know more than most A&Ps! Since I am one I figured I should watch it as well. Very informative.
http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=991490765001

-David
Old 02-25-2012, 10:08 AM

I've caught cracked cylinders that had great compression a few times using a Lenox borescope. The cracks were hard to see even with its good optical clarity so I'm a little dubious of the effectiveness of a low-resolution camera, regardless of price.

Please don't PM me! Email only!

Bob Japundza CFII A&PIA
N9187P PA-24-260B Comanche, flying
N678X F1 Rocket, under const.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.

Last edited by rocketbob : 02-25-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speyers View Post
Mike Busch recommends the BK-6000 from Snap-On. They are going for about $500-$600 on Ebay. ($800 new) Would be good for an EAA chapter to have or perhaps to share amongst a group of owners. The BK-6000 is able to take video and pictures, store them on a SIM card for sending via e-mail or showing back at the office is needed.
Recommend listening to this webinar so that you know what your looking at through the borescope. Its called "All about cylinders" and is presented by Mike Busch. He says that if you watch the weinar you will know more than most A&Ps! Since I am one I figured I should watch it as well. Very informative.
http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=991490765001

-David
I'm not knocking what David is saying, all good stuff indeed. Just sayin' (again) check what's being done with the cheap stuff, as posted on the BeechTalk forum. Excellent photos of exhaust valves.

Erich